N-Europe

Sort Your Life Out

Ashley

i'm not sure if you even need a life plan.

According to my plan I should have a Masters degree in Earth Sciences and working as either a paleontologist or a vulcanologist. That was the plan evn up to the end of 2004.

Currently I am 23, with 2/3rds of a Batchelors degree which I intend to complete 'in the future' working a 9-5:30 office job as an insurance underwriter. And whats even weirder is that I actually like my job , and am reasonably happy with my life too.

The moral of the story, Mr Ashley, is not to sweat! As long as you work hard at whatever you end up doing, and are generally not a crap person, you'll get somewhere better, and sooner or later be doing something you like.

Sorry for sounding so cheesy!

Queue sweeping instrumental music :p

But nah. I dunno. At this very moment im not so much worried about after uni. I know im going to do an MA and I am aiming and putting energy into it being Warwick. And I know I will travel after finishing uni and before starting my MA.

My biggest concern at the moment is dissertation. I want to do a comparative analysis of Dexter and Death Note and the two different yet similar (oxymorons are win) concepts of evil, how they address morality etc. The 'problem' is I want one of my lecturers to be in charge and it would get handed to another whose fine, and whose work and field of interest is in evil, but I just want the other because I prefer him...But I suppose the lecturer I would get is, or at least according to someone I heard the other day, the leading British authority on (presumably representation of) evil so maybe I should appreciate him. Mah!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Queue sweeping instrumental music :p

But nah. I dunno. At this very moment im not so much worried about after uni. I know im going to do an MA and I am aiming and putting energy into it being Warwick. And I know I will travel after finishing uni and before starting my MA.

My biggest concern at the moment is dissertation. I want to do a comparative analysis of Dexter and Death Note and the two different yet similar (oxymorons are win) concepts of evil, how they address morality etc. The 'problem' is I want one of my lecturers to be in charge and it would get handed to another whose fine, and whose work and field of interest is in evil, but I just want the other because I prefer him...But I suppose the lecturer I would get is, or at least according to someone I heard the other day, the leading British authority on (presumably representation of) evil so maybe I should appreciate him. Mah!

you have no idea how much i want to be doing your course!

i have a certain plan

currently in my first year at university of a 3 year course

if greg gets his ass in gear and gets a placement him and me should be living together when its both our final years.

i plan on marrying him (if he'll have me)a few years after uni (whether i go for my masters or not depends on the work over these next few years)

id like to travel after uni particularly to egypt or something

i want kids before im 30 as id like to be a youngish mum

but the main goal over the next few years is to complete uni so ive something to fall back on :D

you have no idea how much i want to be doing your course!

Meh. It leads to nothing and theres shit loads of Media graduates nowadays :p

Nah as I say, fallback is lecturing. And I do have a TV series idea in my head which has been in there for like...five years (although constantly evolving). Need to start turning that into something concrete.

Meh. It leads to nothing and theres shit loads of Media graduates nowadays :p

Nah as I say, fallback is lecturing. And I do have a TV series idea in my head which has been in there for like...five years (although constantly evolving). Need to start turning that into something concrete.

yeah, but it sounds fun.

make the TV show! i wrote a film a few years ago - actually write it, i think about 20,000 words and havent ever dine anything with it and wish i would get round to it as its a waste of creativity

Never posted in the Chit Chat thread before! But like many people on here, I'm struggling with what do to with my life.

I graduated with a 2:1 Honours Degree in English last June and since then I haven't been able to get a job AT ALL. I've always loved writing and its something I was always good at at school. I had these big ideas of becoming a Journalist and writing for magazines and newspapers but it just hasn't happened for me. Because I have what is known as a 'General' degree, I'm technically not really trained in anything unless you want a good essay or letter written:heh:

It really annoys me that after going straight from school at 18 to a full four year course at Uni has basically got me nowhere - I just can't help feeling its all been a complete waste of time.

My Dad announced in November that we are moving to West Yorkshire and the day finally arrives on the 26th of this month. I've lived in Scotland my whole life and now it feels like I'm emmigrating - a brand new start. Kind of scares me though as I will be totally mate and job-less but I'm hoping I'll be able to get a job more easily in England and maybe get some writing published. I've always thought that there was a book waiting to be written by yours truly so you never know.:wtf:

Well columnar (welcome to the fori!), I'm currently in my 2nd year of doing an english course and if anything my course is even more vague than yours - it's english studies, a mix of language, lit and creative writing. My solution to the improbability of ever getting a job is to basically take a masters degree, then maybe stick around even longer and weasel my way into a lecturing position...

Ideally I end up being a fab author and shit, but realistically.. well who knows? Fact is we're still young (i may be presuming, but I figure you're <30) and life has barely began :) A move and a fresh start can be a very exciting time, and so long as you're making some sort of effort to chase your dreams then at least you can say you tried.

Nice one for going for the journalism route - too fucking scary for me!

Now, back to me, me, me... Without any undue surprise, I am feeling less agitated with my life now that my essay is over :P My life is very much unsorted, but I've been able to find joy in the little things, and to realise that small bit more that that is all life is. All I need to be happy really is to have a few things to look forward to in the future; currently that is easter, and with it comes two birthdays and a visit from whom I hope to be able to call 'a friend'. Summer's shaping up now as I have a painting job 75% sorted... so yeah. Things aren't necessarily looking 'up', more just a kind of horizontal view.

Are people allowed to be happy in this thread?

Haha dazzy, I been thinking the same! Such a depressing thread, people need to stop complaining and see the good side of things like Tom has! He's not kept to his plan and he seems to be having a great time! Stop whining, get your arses in gear, get off the forum and do something! You all have the power to do what you want and be happy, and you're the biggest thing holding you back.

I'm doing a degree, and tbh like Columnar I don't think I'll be able to get anywhere good with it without further study(which I won't be, not for a while), but I don't even care anymore! I'll be done in summer, I've got a job I enjoy that I can work at for a while, and I have a hobby, but the knowledge that whatever happens, I'll survive, and if I dont...well, it doesn't matter then!

I think MBAM's plan is a bit scary, marriage and kids?! I find it weird to think of things like that, and I'm probably older. There's a few people I know of with kids, but that's the sort of thing I don't see for me for another 5 years at least, if not more! Weird stuff.

Well as for me...

Let's see. I have these plans to go to University this year, and it's something I really want to do. Music Technology has taken me over and I don't see myself ever doing anything else besides it. There's only a few problems. I am terrible at Music Technology. In actual fact, I am terrible at everything. I don't know how I managed to get through to college and even survive to the second year, I never do my homework/coursework on time, I never arrive to the lessons on time and I struggle with the work, alot.

So you could argue it's my fault. And there's no hiding it...it is my fault. If I did my work and achieved the grades I need, I wouldn't have a problem getting to uni right now. But I need 260 UCAS points, and that means some serious grades....which I havn't gotten yet.

To make matters worse, it turns out I can't re-do any of my first year BTEC work which means I have to achieve 260 points with an E under my belt. Unfortunately for me however, if I had actually gotten my finger out of my arse last year I know I wouldn't be in this situation now.

So that's the education side of things. Another thing that gets to me is life and teenagehood. I love it. But I don't exist much socially. All of my frends are constantly going out to gigs or to the local rock venue or wherever but not me, and I never have. Me and my friend were talking about this yesterday, how the thing that really gets to us is the fact that we're wasting these "best years of our lives" by sitting at home every night, and I agree. I wish there was something to do, somewhere to go.

Still....in all of this shit, there is one thing that keeps me going. I may be terrible academically, but my customer service is absolutely top notch. My supervisor told me I'd been put up for a Values Award at Tesco last night because of my consistantly good service and countless customer compliment cards. So...there's a small reassurance. But it's not right. I just want to succeed and move on in life.

Get me to Uni..

Haha dazzy, I been thinking the same! Such a depressing thread, people need to stop complaining and see the good side of things like Tom has! He's not kept to his plan and he seems to be having a great time! Stop whining, get your arses in gear, get off the forum and do something! You all have the power to do what you want and be happy, and you're the biggest thing holding you back.

I'm doing a degree, and tbh like Columnar I don't think I'll be able to get anywhere good with it without further study(which I won't be, not for a while), but I don't even care anymore! I'll be done in summer, I've got a job I enjoy that I can work at for a while, and I have a hobby, but the knowledge that whatever happens, I'll survive, and if I dont...well, it doesn't matter then!

I think MBAM's plan is a bit scary, marriage and kids?! I find it weird to think of things like that, and I'm probably older. There's a few people I know of with kids, but that's the sort of thing I don't see for me for another 5 years at least, if not more! Weird stuff.

Ok, i suffer from depression and that first part of your post really doesn't help; even know, i know you were trying to help. Most people who are down haven't got the ability or motivation to do what you just stated, it's sadly not as simple as that i'm afraid. Obviously people who are depressed writing in a specific thread would make it depressing, surely?

I think reading Night-Wolfs post and her conclusion being 'But am I depressed yet? Not quite. Thankfully!'.

I think it's pretty obvious that i may need some more help, as just them problems would have brought me right down!

Dyson; Fuck people who say what years are the best in your life. It's those people that make you think "well, i guess the good part of my life is over..." It's not over :P if the best days of our lives were over at 24 then wouldn't be have a lot less people willing to stick around for another 50 years?

The grade you want at uni might seem unachieveable - and perhaps the hill is too steep to climb, but you can always pay to do the btec again if you really, really want to. Then you just gotta work, and fresh starts are good at inspiring that.

And Owen: I hope you're feeling better than the last thread similar to this was around,that you made. The sun's starting to stick around for a bit longer day by day and I don't know about you, but it keeps me going :)

The sun's starting to stick around for a bit longer day by day and I don't know about you, but it keeps me going :)

A sunny day makes such a big difference. It's amazing how much better everyone feels when the sun comes out instead of the usal grey skies and constant rain. It's sunny-ish here at the moment and even a little bit makes me feel better (I hate hangovers).

Dyson; Fuck people who say what years are the best in your life. It's those people that make you think "well, i guess the good part of my life is over..." It's not over :P if the best days of our lives were over at 24 then wouldn't be have a lot less people willing to stick around for another 50 years?

The grade you want at uni might seem unachieveable - and perhaps the hill is too steep to climb, but you can always pay to do the btec again if you really, really want to. Then you just gotta work, and fresh starts are good at inspiring that.

And Owen: I hope you're feeling better than the last thread similar to this was around,that you made. The sun's starting to stick around for a bit longer day by day and I don't know about you, but it keeps me going :)

You remember that? Wow, that means alot, thanks! :)

Sadly i feel alot worse, but i'm sure things will pick up!

Ok, i suffer from depression and that first part of your post really doesn't help; even know, i know you were trying to help. Most people who are down haven't got the ability or motivation to do what you just stated, it's sadly not as simple as that i'm afraid. Obviously people who are depressed writing in a specific thread would make it depressing, surely?

I think reading Night-Wolfs post and her conclusion being 'But am I depressed yet? Not quite. Thankfully!'.

I think it's pretty obvious that i may need some more help, as just them problems would have brought me right down!

Just to point out, there's no need to explain depression to me and how simple it isn't, I believe that I understand it well to a large extent, and one big part of the problem with depressives is the second part of your post, the fact you reason that depressives don't have the motivation, as if it is a a good reason or explanation for it. You have the power to sort your life out, you just can't or won't realise it. My suggestion to you would be to go get some professional help, see your doctor, and if you can, opt for the counselling over drugs. As The Verve said, the drugs don't work, they just make you worse, but I'll leave the song lyrics there for today.

You remember that? Wow, that means alot, thanks! :)

Sadly i feel alot worse, but i'm sure things will pick up!

Of course :) Don't think such little of yourself :P

I think what rummy is trying to say is that sometimes it's not the external factors of the world, instead it's something within yourself that reacts in such a way. And to some extent, I'm sure you can understand the truth in that.

The thing is, once you start perceiving the world in a certain way - for example, certain factors depress you, and their familiarity sparks the feeling without you being too conscious of it... I mean, if you could control your emotions surely you'd choose not to be depressed?

Your point, and the truthful point, is that depression isn't something you can control - and to a very large extent this is true. Rummy's is that despite this feeling being out of your reach, the fact remains that you are human and thus capable of exhibiting a numerous and very quantious amount of actions and abilities that could facilitate the change in how you feel... but to some extent you may feel socially confined, and not able to do so.

I think that what rummy says is correct on the one hand, but it overlooks the conscious/subconscious actions of "you", and fails to see to what extent it is "your" fault that you feel as you do.

If you lived next door to me, then I would talk to you and try to show you what I mean, but of course that is not possible. But I do know that the main reason people get depressed is due to a lack of/ a weak social network; so the individual is unable to offload their issues and dilemmas to understanding allies. Owen; I hope you realise that the internet is anonymous, and if some particular thing is getting you down then there is no harm in trying to find answers in us plebs online :) we may not give you the help you desire, but then we just might. Either way, if you feel down about something, no matter how small, you have nothing to lose by trying to communicate with 'us'. We're not here to make things worse :)

Er, yeah; long post. I'll shup now.

Thanks for that Jayseven, your absolutely spot-on! Theres a few people on here i PM etc..and there fully understanding! I hope you don't mind, but i'll add you to that list whenever i need a chat! :)

Thanks Again!