N-Europe

Wii Freeloader Thread - FAQ & Info in First Post

DiemetriX

Is it not the old one that was released during the GC era that got blocked though, then they released this one, but does that one not still work?

If it didn't it's odd they're selling a product that won't work.

But yea your right, it's not a simple thing to fully get but I really think they wouldn't release it if they knew it was easy to stop from working via an update and since they say 'ANY' I have a bit of faith that any game will work including the ones with updates with them.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it even possible to pick and choose which updates you can have? Let's say update A blocks the Freeloader, then update B does something else. Would it be possible to download update B without downloading update A?

Is it even possible to pick and choose which updates you can have? Let's say update A blocks the Freeloader, then update B does something else. Would it be possible to download update B without downloading update A?

Thing is you won't find out what update does what unless someone has tried it. Because I doubt Nintendo are going to say "Update A does this and this and oh yeah, it also blocks your freeloader".

I'm still not sure what to do. I soooo want SSBB, but I don't want to risk not being able to play it. And even though I don't usually play online much, I still want to be able to do so if I ever feel like it. =/

Thing is you won't find out what update does what unless someone has tried it. Because I doubt Nintendo are going to say "Update A does this and this and oh yeah, it also blocks your freeloader".

I'm still not sure what to do. I soooo want SSBB, but I don't want to risk not being able to play it. And even though I don't usually play online much, I still want to be able to do so if I ever feel like it. =/

thats my feeling...I just don't think I bother..too risky.

I reckon they would definitly release the freeloader knowing it can be blocked as they can then release a new one and sell that to people who own imported games they are desperate to play.

Someone on GAF emailed Datel about the freeloader and this was the reply they got, It appears to be future proof:

Dear Customer

Further to your email we can confirm that on every occasion that the product is used when the disc is inserted in the console that it allows the usage of any imported Wii game discs and disables the console from been able to update its firmware, if the disc is removed after been inserted and reinserted this will again enable the console to update its firmware but still allow the usage of the any imported Wii game discs.

Regards

Unless i've missunderstood that.

the latter part of this just makes no sense what so ever. I've read it and re-read it and don't know what theyre on about.

It almost suggests to me that the Freeloader installs some software on the Wii's memory, if you can reinstert the 'game disk' (assuming they mean the game disk). Surely, this would void your warrenty, and potentially brick the Wii?

the latter part of this just makes no sense what so ever. I've read it and re-read it and don't know what theyre on about.

I think it means:

When you put the Freeloader in, it turns off the option for the Wii to download updates (It's probably a "hidden option" as opposed to needing a software games....there are usually loads of hidden options for the main purposes of debugging).

To turn updates back on you have to:

1. Load up the freeloader as if you were going to play an import game.

2. When you get to the "insert game disk" stage you eject the freeloader and put it back into the machine.

If your Wii isn't online and therefore can't download the updates then it should pose no problems, you'd be able to use the freeloader and play Brawl with out any worries...right...right?

Yes, but i'm sure eventually that you'll need to go online to download WiiWare etc... you'll be missing out in the future won't you?

It was more a theoretical question, I'm just trying to see if I can definately get Brawl early with out any worries. By the sounds of it there shouldn't be a problem as long as I don't download ANY updates. Though I might wait and see till it's been tried and tested.

Yeh but Brawl comes with the firmware update v3.2. Nintendo obviously knew a freeloader was coming, i'm not tech minded so I don't know if they could design an update which blocks a future product or not. Looks like half the people here have already bought into it so i'll wait for impressions. I remember a so called Gamecube freeloader that had a million versions because they couldn't get it right so I have zero trust in Datel.

I have read that the firmware update included in Brawl enables the Wii to read dual layer dvds, for the reason that Brawl does use dual layer dvd. So unless the recent update 3.2 is the same update, we have a problem.

Well I was going on the assumption it was 3.2 as the previous one was 3.1. Surely if it has an update it's going to be the next one. Who knows, 3.2 might not affect the freeloader at all. You could download it then do the whole freeloader thing, the fact that it would bypass any update wouldn't matter because you'd already have it. The only people it would screw over are those who rely on in game firmware updates... all 2% of them.

are there any japan- only wii games worth getting?
Gundam 0079.
Is it not the old one that was released during the GC era that got blocked though, then they released this one, but does that one not still work?

If it didn't it's odd they're selling a product that won't work.

I got confirmation yesterday that the last freeloader GC build still works on firmware 3.2.

Gundam 0079.I got confirmation yesterday that the last freeloader GC build still works on firmware 3.2.

It does? I was pretty sure it didn't. Cool.

Problem is the updates that come with foreign games are for foreign consoles and you can't play the games without making them, but if you make them, you can't play. Afaik, Brawl's update isn't firmware, because people who modded their Wiis can run the update and the console still works (unlike SPM, because it had a firmware update), but it duplicates the channels. You can't choose not to update to play some games. Mario Galaxy for example.

Also, yeah Gundam is pretty nice, it's not OMG AWESOME, but feels very gundam-ish. I like Nodame Cantabile, like the DS game, it's simple and easy, but fun.

Thought it still worked. I don't see a big enough reason to block it though. It's only Europe and it's still helping overall sales and they don't care about us :heh:
My guess is they blocked it because of Action Replay, since people were trying to reach Wii-environment through GC-mode.

Freeloader GC... If I remember correctly was based of the boot code of a comercial game (crazy taxy?) thus Nintendo couldn't block it freely under the chance of rendering incompatible the said game (possibly plural); instead they enforced things based on the changes the software had; for example... Freeloader lacked region lock and original GC firmware didn't have queries running that... But well... with white GC's (the strikers ones) Nintendo enforced the region lock; The fix was simple, putting region lock in freeloader, turning it into a region specific product.

It does? I was pretty sure it didn't. Cool.
The first version they did does't, but they did another without putting in any publicity or news saying just that.

They exchange the discs if you send it to them; I got the greenlight to do so in the beggining of february, but only sent it this friday (I have been busy).

It unlocks the second Gamecube inside the Wii.

That and it updates channels like The Weather Channel, News Channel, etc...

Meaning, if it doesn't find the right version it will install them again and you'll be left with duplicates that can't be erased, unless you format your Wii.

It was more a theoretical question, I'm just trying to see if I can definately get Brawl early with out any worries. By the sounds of it there shouldn't be a problem as long as I don't download ANY updates. Though I might wait and see till it's been tried and tested.

Yeah you are right mate, if your Wii's not connected to internet it should work ok! I think, lol.

datel are probably rushing out their product because they no it wont be compatible with the very latest games or wii updates. Seriously do not trust datel or even waste another thought on them... wait and see what happens as there are plenty of good PAL games coming out.

Yea and there's plenty of good NTSC games out.

I trust datel ever since I got the GC AR with the freeloader so i'm trusting them again.

Here's a thought.

What if you format your Wii, transfer your game saves so you don't have the channels, then update from Smash. Then you won't have duplicates :heh: