N-Europe

Feminism

Domo Kun

I'm a feminist (I'm also a man). I'm a feminist because I belive men and women are completely equal and I consider it to be a somewhat passive element of my life which I support, but don't obsess over. I read a fair bit of feminist literature as part of my anthropology course and I'm particularly interesed in in the different ways in which men and women are considered different and 'unequal' all around the world. I'm also interested in unearthing 'hidden opressions' in our own society, an example of one of these may be make-up, women as objects in magazines and adverts, and unequal pay, etc.

Of late, I've realised everyone seems to hate feminists. Apparently they're annoying. I don't see it, at least, I don't see how they are more annoying than the next person who states an opinion you don't agree with, but it seems feminists go beyond this level of annoyingness.

Discuss pls?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree of the pay thing, yes it's unfair woman get paid less for doing the same job. The women as objects thing now has become obsolete, there's just as many magazines/adverts that treat men as objects too.

My teacher for sociology is a feminist, I loathe her. Her views are that all men should be punished for how they treat women, and that all men oppress women. That would be a radical feminist right? I'm fine with the normal, average-joe feminist though.

Oh, and if my spelling/grammar appears bad it's because of these darn pills I'm on to help me sleep. I'm finding it hard to look at the keyboard/control my hands. Woop. :)

The women as objects thing now has become obsolete, there's just as many magazines/adverts that treat men as objects too.

My teacher for sociology is a feminist, I loathe her. Her views are that all men should be punished for how they treat women, and that all men oppress women. That would be a radical feminist right?

I'd argue that when men appear as objects in adverts it's normally a joke, whereas with women it's serious and it's degrading.

Haha! She's not a feminist, she's just insane! Feminism, by definition is just a belief in equality of the sexes. For me, it's more about social science theories exploring how women are treated differently, for others, it's about political activism and trying to change things.

I'd argue that when men appear as objects in adverts it's normally a joke, whereas with women it's serious and it's degrading.

Haha! She's not a feminist, she's just insane! Feminism, by definition is just a belief in equality of the sexes. For me, it's more about social science theories exploring how women are treated differently, for others, it's about political activism and trying to change things.

Hehe, yeah. The normal feminist is fine, but people like her make me want to shoot myself. I loathe her.

I'd argue against that again, by saying look at the new David Beckham ad for Armani Underwear, he's being used as an object, not as a joke.You get men parading round in hardly anything on adverts for perfume etc nowadays too. I know it happens with woman a whole lot more, but men are rapidly catching up.

Hehe, yeah. The normal feminist is fine, but people like her make me want to shoot myself. I loathe her.

I'd argue against that again, by saying look at the new David Beckham ad for Armani Underwear, he's being used as an object, not as a joke.You get men parading round in hardly anything on adverts for perfume etc nowadays too. I know it happens with woman a whole lot more, but men are rapidly catching up.

Point very very much seen...

So I guess the question now is, does it matter? Although adverts like such don't make me feel objectified, if it got worse I could imagine many men would feel insecure. Some must already, even if that's just from seeing Brad Pitt and the like parading on TV and in magazines...

But would this appear naturally in a social setting because you're always going to know someone better looking than you...

Point very very much seen...

So I guess the question now is, does it matter? Although adverts like such don't make me feel objectified, if it got worse I could imagine many men would feel insecure. Some must already, even if that's just from seeing Brad Pitt and the like parading on TV and in magazines...

But would this appear naturally in a social setting because you're always going to know someone better looking than you...

Well, it doesn't bother me in the slightest. As long as the person doing the ad knows what they're doing then I don't see whats wrong. It's just the human body afterall, and it seems to make stuff sell, so until it doesn't companies will keep using it.

I think using the word feminists to represent equal rights among sexes is rather sexists.

Quite honestly, I don't get much in contact with this sexisms of our society, I know statistics say women earn less for the same job, but I don't know anyone who would advocate such practice. The only time I saw an active sexist choice was when one of my teachers asked if any of the guys wanted a job and that they didn't want girls because women cause too much trouble between each other.

I don't think that men are women are equal. I only think they should be treated equally. Women being underpaid is one of the most ridicilous things in modern society.

Men and women have different strengths and weaknesses that, most of the time, perfectly complement each other. They are very equal in status, but too often this "equality" is taken out of context.

Too many feminists are too extreme. A group of feminists in the Netherlands once tried to pass a law that made men and women share exactly the same amount of time taking care of children. This because "men and women" are equal. They're not - they should be treated equally, not made equal through this. If a woman wants to take care of her children, she should be able to. Likewise, a man should be able to take care of his kids when he needs to; no need to be forcing on any timesharing.

Treating men and women as perfectly equal misses the point entirely - the differences between men and women make life a little prettier :smile:

Of late, I've realised everyone seems to hate feminists. Apparently they're annoying.

Yes. Because the ones that make themselves heard want women to be treated unequally.

It shouldn't be called feminism though.

Yea. It sounds like you're anti-women.

I dislike the word feminism and that people go around calling them selfs feminists

in the meaning of gender equality.

Feminism is an outdated term that should only exist in places were women have about as much rights as they had 100 of years ago here.

I believe in gender equality and I think it should be referred as that.

Feminism refers to more rights for women, which is great but when fighting for equal rights for both genders it has to been fought on both sides and when the term over gender equality comes from a word that means more rights for women

it does not help.

Also the term "feminism" has been dragged trough the mud the past few years and is related by too many in a modern society relate it to annoying hags.

No it isn't... Don't forget, feminism is about equality, not superiority.

Not bothering to check it out, but no it isn't. It might have started as that, but most feminists try to fight and struggle for an equality that is already there. It's all a bunch of needless attention seeking, for people that think they're being heroes and fighting for the greater good. Mostly hipocrisy really.

Not bothering to check it out, but no it isn't. It might have started as that, but most feminists try to fight and struggle for an equality that is already there. It's all a bunch of needless attention seeking, for people that think they're being heroes and fighting for the greater good. Mostly hipocrisy really.

It's not quite there yet... Except if you live in Canada, of course. :heh:

But it's 95% there.

Anyway, of course it is... Feminism stands for the equal treatment of women. Although that notion has been undermined as of the last 10 years or so... but that's not true feminism. It's kinda like when people associate Skinheads with racism.

I wish some feminists could remember that definition sometimes. And what equal means, too.

Touché, my dear. I'm pretty damn sure we're all on the same page, when dealing with feminazis.

Of course it's not "there" yet, there are a lot of countries like that, but most cases of sexism are just use of stereotypes that always existed and will always exist. Just like men are mostly the ones sent to war, to do physically hard jobs, guys with glasses are intelligent or dorks, gamers don't do nothing and don't like the sun, black people all love fried chicken and watermelon, etc... Most sexist cases are little irrelevant things like that, women are the ones that should clean the house and cook, etc... Of course there are exceptions in many places, but feminists still fight for the rights they already have in a lot of places.

And it doesn't really matter what it stands for or is supposed to stand for, what matters is what IT IS. And what we see in our daily life and society aren't women fighting for the same rights as men's, it's women trying to stand apart to be noticed, so they dress funny and go out of their way to show that women can be intelligent and watch movies too with those thick (and sexy) glasses that they probably don't need (see my usage os stereotypes here? :P), even though most people don't assume otherwise.

If they really want to make a difference, stop doing useless and pointless attention whoring and go make a difference in Iraq or something. Because these feminists that I'm talking about are an insult to feminists that fought for women's rights.

Also, why the word feminism? Isn't machism a bad thing? Thinking men are superior? Doesn't the word feminism imply thinking women are superior? But that's just semantics.

Of course it's not "there" yet, there are a lot of countries like that, but most cases of sexism are just use of stereotypes that always existed and will always exist. Just like men are mostly the ones sent to war, to do physically hard jobs, guys with glasses are intelligent or dorks, gamers don't do nothing and don't like the sun, black people all love fried chicken and watermelon, etc... Most sexist cases are little irrelevant things like that, women are the ones that should clean the house and cook, etc... Of course there are exceptions in many places, but feminists still fight for the rights they already have in a lot of places.

And it doesn't really matter what it stands for or is supposed to stand for, what matters is what IT IS. And what we see in our daily life and society aren't women fighting for the same rights as men's, it's women trying to stand apart to be noticed, so they dress funny and go out of their way to show that women can be intelligent and watch movies too with those thick (and sexy) glasses that they probably don't need (see my usage os stereotypes here? :P), even though most people don't assume otherwise.

If they really want to make a difference, stop doing useless and pointless attention whoring and go make a difference in Iraq or something. Because these feminists that I'm talking about are an insult to feminists that fought for women's rights.

Also, why the word feminism? Isn't machism a bad thing? Thinking men are superior? Doesn't the word feminism imply thinking women are superior? But that's just semantics.

Actually I was going on about things like having no access to administrive positions when you're in a starting family, pregnancy issues and so on, but yeah, that too.

What matters is what it stands for, what you're describing as "what IT IS" are freelance ignorant fucktards who like to call themselves feminists. They're not members or representatives of any feminist groups, they're just stand alone idiots who bestowed upon themselves the right to be... idiots. Unfortnately, that's the labelling that "feminist" has been given. Too late to do anything about that, I guess.

Anyway, the "true" feminists fight for their causes silently and without making a fuss, wich is exactly why they actually get somewhere, as opposed to the... erm... fucktards, lol.

As for the word... I guess it's just semantics, but it really makes little sense why it's called feminism, and not "female equalism" or "femqualism". :yay: