NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Gaijin von Snikbah

Long Lasting Games

Long lasting games. The type you can continue playing after the last boss is dead. The type that gives you a reason to spend days/weeks/months grinding/building/fighting.

1. The Wii has no such games.

B. The Wii isnt the most popular with hardcore gamers.

See my point? Do you agree?

I think the game in your sig is pretty much the definition of a long lasting game.

I think the game in your sig is pretty much the definition of a long lasting game.

And so the core gamers interest is rising.

See your point, think you're talking bollocks :)

Games you can continue playing when you've finished in just from my collection:

Ghost Squad: The whole point is to continue playing after you've finished (only takes 30 mins), online highscore table, awesome multiplayer

Super Paper Mario: Collect all the recipes and cards

Sonic: Old school beat your best score/time

Res Evil 4: Play with different weapons

Metroid Prime 3: Get 100%, play through in hypermode

M&S Olympcs: Beat your best times with online leaderboard. AMAZING multiplayer

Eledees: Create new levels and receive them

Mario Galaxy: Play through as Luigi

Geoemtry Wars: Awesome highscore challenge, online leaderboard

Lego Starwars: Play through as different character opening up new sections etc.

Koroinpa: Play through mirrored tracks

Trauma Centre: S Rank everything and play bonus missions

KEEP PLAYING BECAUSE OF AWESOME MULTIPLAYER!

- Smash Football

- Fifa

- Wario Ware

- Rayman

- Medal of honour

- Excite Truck

And I havent even mentioned words such as Zack or Wicki!!!

Your argument is also flawed because who cares if games end when you have finished them. Zack and Wicki being an example! Maybe even Metroid and Zelda etc.

Also I think it's a bit of a myth 360 being the hardcore players wet dream - other than online (Live) which is simply stunning; the one player isn't as impressive as Wiis - Halo 7 hours, CoD4 6 hours, Bioshock 15-20 hours (good) Gears 10 hours. These are the biggest game on the 360 - yeah they have (overrated) stuff like Oblivion and Mass Effect and the new jrpg's but these are the biggest games - Metroid, Zelda and mario are bigger than them all. As is Zack and Wicki come to think of it!!!

PS What makes you say Wii isn't popular with the hardcore?

Depends on what your definition of "long lasting" is. Zelda TP is a simply massive game, and worth playing at least twice. Excitetruck is short, but so ridiculously fun I'll keep digging it out for years. I have no doubt that Mario Galaxy and Prime 3 have a fair chunk of meat on them.

I prefer shorter games these days anyway, I don't have enough time for lots of massive adventures. And what's "hardcore" anyway? Grinding/fighting/building? Hell, even my brothers geography teacher plays WoW these days. Does that make her "hardcore?"

Long lasting game - Guitar Hero III especially if we eventually get downloadable content.

Also I think it's a bit of a myth 360 being the hardcore players wet dream - other than online (Live) which is simply stunning; the one player isn't as impressive as Wiis - Halo 7 hours, CoD4 6 hours, Bioshock 15-20 hours (good) Gears 10 hours. These are the biggest game on the 360 - yeah they have (overrated) stuff like Oblivion and Mass Effect and the new jrpg's but these are the biggest games - Metroid, Zelda and mario are bigger than them all. As is Zack and Wicki come to think of it!!!

Sales figures beg to differ.

I dont give too shits about sales figures - Home Alone is more popular than Fight Club/Shawshank Redemption/Usual Suspects/Chopper etc etc. What do sales mean exactly?

Your argument is also flawed because who cares if games end when you have finished them. Zack and Wicki being an example! Maybe even Metroid and Zelda etc.

Of course they dont have to last forever to be fun. I dont think the Wii is unpopular, just not as popular as other machines.

And so this is pointless.

Just trying to make an interesting discussion...

Depends on what your definition of "long lasting" is.

Games with alot of depth. That give you alot of possibilities.

I actually think the Wii suffers from the exact opposite of what you propose. I have plenty of games that I can pick up a long time after they're completed - the usual suspects already mentioned - Ghost Squad, Wii Sports, Mario and Sonic etc. However, theres not many that just have a nice rounded story and once its done its done. Theres no narritive depth or story based games really, and these are what the Wii is missing, and needs in order to attract the hardcore crowd.

Of course they dont have to last forever to be fun. I dont think the Wii is unpopular, just not as popular as other machines.

I hate to use this argument, but sales prove otherwise.

If you're talking about popularity among the so-called "hardcores", then yeah, you're right. It seems western FPS are the trend right now.

Of course the "hardcore community" constantly ignores the existence of lesser known, but good titles like most of the games that DazzyBee mentioned (and I'm not talking just Wii, here).

I guess games with a lot of depth. Yes, games like WoW, Civilization, and Counter-Strike are good examples, I think.

These games are long-lasting because online is their premise. With online, each match/time you play it's a new experience.

Too bad that Nintendo doesn't make many of these games, and when it does, the service is not as good as it could be. (Although it's good enough)

And I'm STILL waiting for a true Pokémon MMO.

Anyway, making a Single Player that's long and satisfying, the Wii has plenty of these.

Long lasting games. The type you can continue playing after the last boss is dead. The type that gives you a reason to spend days/weeks/months grinding/building/fighting.

Streets of Rage I and II. I play these over and over like a DVD stuck on repeat mode.

Ghost Squad is an extreme example of a game you can play over and over after the last boss is dead. Given that it takes all of 30 minutes to get to that stage, it's a good job really.

Being long lasting is overrated, if there's a 100 hour game where 90%of it is just boring or inflated artificially, I'd rather have short games.

Mass Effect and Oblivion are two amazing games, which set-out to do something 'big' and both infact did that and more, they are not over-rated at all.

Oblivion didn't do that and more, it's smaller and worse than Morrowind. It's a good game, but let's not exaggerate.

Mass Effect and Oblivion are two amazing games, which set-out to do something 'big' and both infact did that and more, they are not over-rated at all.

Mass Effect, while still a decent game, was a massive disappointment.

It's called 'Having a opinion'. Dazzybee can dislike the games if he likes, but i wouldn't call them 'Over-rated' by any means...just not to everyones tastes.

Also i can 'exaggerate' all i want, your opinion 'Hellfire' is that you think it's worse then Marrowind, mine isn't. I don't agree with what you think and you don't agree with what i think, lets leave it at that, shall we?...your not always 'right' you know, if you were, why in gods name are you wasting your time on a forum like this? You should be in the computer game journalist industry. :indeed:

Also i can 'exaggerate' all i want, your opinion 'Hellfire' is that you think it's worse then Marrowind, mine isn't. I don't agree with what you think and you don't agree with what i think, lets leave it at that, shall we?...your not always 'right' you know, if you were, why in gods name are you wasting your time on a forum like this? You should be in the computer game journalist industry. :indeed:

What's up your ass? Did I start an argument, insult anyone, say your opinion was wrong? Also, I am in the industry (although not exactly a professional), so, epic fail.

However, it's a a fact that Oblivion, asides from the fighting and graphics is a huge downgrade from Morrowind, all the locations look the same, the NPCs are mostly generic and there's very little soul.

Not my problem if you're in a bad mood, but don't try to pick fights.

What's up your ass? Did I start an argument, insult anyone, say your opinion was wrong? Also, I am in the industry (although not exactly a professional), so, epic fail.

However, it's a a fact that Oblivion, asides from the fighting and graphics is a huge downgrade from Morrowind, all the locations look the same, the NPCs are mostly generic and there's very little soul.

Not my problem if you're in a bad mood, but don't try to pick fights.

Theres no-way that your reply to my earlier post sounded as if you let me have my own view on a certain game, your reply totally sounded as if i was wrong to like Oblivion, and thats that.

Epic fail? what in gods name is that? Another word for 'Your wrong' again? What a surprise....

Calm down ladies. Your arguing about absolutely nothing.

On Topic: Wii needs more games that are worth playing for ages. I still have to go back to my Cube games.

Chill guys?

I personally think that Oblivion is not over-rated in the slightest. However, I think Mass Effect is. It's got awesome tech behind it and the story is decent but it's the game part that fails. I really dislike the controls, they just feel wrong.

Sign in to follow this