N-Europe

Universities and shizzle.

Twozzok

Plus uni is all about 'transferrable skills' so in theory any degree will teach you general work skills (meeting deadlines, submitting reports in x words rather than waffling, presentations, group work etc etc).

For instance, my friend did Geography and then went into performance analysis for the police.

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a rough guide I got told by my tutor but really a pass is similar to a C grade, a merit a B(I think it's actually a C/B because I'm not that clever :heh:) and a distinction basically an A.

UCAS point wise, that's completely incorrect.

Pass = E = 40

Merit = C = 80

Distinction = A = 120

:)

UCAS point wise, that's completely incorrect.

Pass = E = 40

Merit = C = 80

Distinction = A = 120

:)

oo ^_^ well it's not completely as I said merit was about C/B and distinction A so I wasn't far off. I didn't realise pass was so low though! we've always been told it was higher. Thank god I'm at merit status nearly distinction :yay:

I completed my Student Finance application about a month or two ago...but I havn't gotten around to sending off my supporting evidence until tomorrow. Does this hinder anything? :/

oo ^_^ well it's not completely as I said merit was about C/B and distinction A so I wasn't far off. I didn't realise pass was so low though! we've always been told it was higher. Thank god I'm at merit status nearly distinction :yay:

Lol yeah true :P

But for a teacher to say it's ABC when it's really ACE is most definitely wrong :P

I completed my Student Finance application about a month or two ago...but I havn't gotten around to sending off my supporting evidence until tomorrow. Does this hinder anything? :/

Wow, I was about to post literally the exact same thing!

It shouldn't hinder anything if you're applying for an income assessed loan, and it's in before the 27th (I think) June.

Guest Stefkov
Uni start for me this September at Huddersfield ^_^

Watcha studying? You getting accomodation there or staying at home?

I just got round do doing my student finance form (haven't applied for accommodation yet either, need to do that soon). All I need to do is get my parents to fill out their part and send off my evidence.

Yeah it means they won't have fully processed your form yet, and they'll do it when they receive your support which could take months to assess. As everyone will be rushing to get them in.

Last year when I filed mine late I only just got the letter needed for my registration on the day of registration. They can be quite slack.

I learnt this year to get it done early, like April/May, then relax for summer.

Lol yeah true :P

But for a teacher to say it's ABC when it's really ACE is most definitely wrong :P

haha you've not seen my college so for them to failboat is quite common, but thanks :yay:, I sent off all the evidence together I think so I have no idea if it does, I doubt it.

BTEC peoples, please re-assure me on what I understand...

Okaays, so I'm doing BTEC Forensic Science, i'm aiming for/need a distinction, and have got a distinction for most of the criteria. I'm just going through my stuff ready to hand it all in, and there's a couple of things where i've only satisfied the pass/merit criteria. Being the lazy person that I am, I was thinking - will I still get a distinction if i have a couple of passes/merits? Or do I need to have to reach distinction in absolutely every bit to get a distinction? I think it's the first situation where I don't need a distinction in everything, I just need someone else to tell me that's the case :)

Thankyouuuuuu :)

BTEC peoples, please re-assure me on what I understand...

Okaays, so I'm doing BTEC Forensic Science, i'm aiming for/need a distinction, and have got a distinction for most of the criteria. I'm just going through my stuff ready to hand it all in, and there's a couple of things where i've only satisfied the pass/merit criteria. Being the lazy person that I am, I was thinking - will I still get a distinction if i have a couple of passes/merits? Or do I need to have to reach distinction in absolutely every bit to get a distinction? I think it's the first situation where I don't need a distinction in everything, I just need someone else to tell me that's the case :)

Thankyouuuuuu :)

Well first things first do you know currently how many points you have at the moment?

You can get a DDD with a few merits/passes. I think MMM is 68, DMM is 74, I'll go check for you :)

edit: oh and the points change as you get to ucas, for some reason if you say get 68 points through college ucas makes that 240 which is a MMM.

http://www.ucas.com/students/ucas_tariff/tarifftables/

make sure you don't go looking at the early years btec national. you need 360 points for a DDD im not sure how it works back to college, ill try finding out

My BTEC is only a single one, equivalent to one A level, I'll only be getting one mark, so it'll hopefully be a D, which will be 120 UCAS points.

I don't know anything about the points though, my teacher just gives us assignments and we do them, and next to the tasks it says what criteria it satisfies.

All this DMM stuff is blady confusing. Why don't they just use the A B C D E system like everyone else :heh:

So 360 points is DDD? ie AAA. Fair dooooos.

It's not confusing when you are doing the actual course, to me it's alot easier to understand because of the student tracker I have, it tells me which points I've failed or achieved in each unit, which is fantastic.

Yeah DDD is like a straight A, whereas MMM is more like a C, hopefully it'll be DMM so it's nearer a B :).

That's very odd mr-paul, but at least you know roughly where you are hopefully now :yay:

Yeahh. I'm just looking at the specification on the edexcel website to see what it says on there. If I can't find anything, i'll check with my teacher tomorrow. I think I should be fine, seeing what you're saying about getting a certain amount of points to get a certain grade. I just haven't heard about these points before!

Yeahh. I'm just looking at the specification on the edexcel website to see what it says on there. If I can't find anything, i'll check with my teacher tomorrow. I think I should be fine, seeing what you're saying about getting a certain amount of points to get a certain grade. I just haven't heard about these points before!

Ah good stuff, I always thought btec made 3 a levels! obviously not! :heh:

Ah good stuff, I always thought btec made 3 a levels! obviously not! :heh:

Nope! Just looking at it, a BTEC national award is one A level, BTEC national certificate is 2 A levels, and BTEC national diploma is 3 A levels!

Just found this, but it's totally confused me, cos the numbers of points are totally different to what you've said? But maybe that's cos it's the specification from this year rather than last year when we started it? I dunnoo!

Grade boundaries:

36–59 Pass = 40 ucas points

60–83 Merit = 80 ucas points

84–108 Distinction = 120 ucas points!

I don't understand those numbers, but at least it shows me (i think) that I can drop some points and still get a distinction overall!

Confusing stuff!

Nope! Just looking at it, a BTEC national award is one A level, BTEC national certificate is 2 A levels, and BTEC national diploma is 3 A levels!

Just found this, but it's totally confused me, cos the numbers of points are totally different to what you've said? But maybe that's cos it's the specification from this year rather than last year when we started it? I dunnoo!

Grade boundaries:

36–59 Pass = 40 ucas points

60–83 Merit = 80 ucas points

84–108 Distinction = 120 ucas points!

I don't understand those numbers, but at least it shows me (i think) that I can drop some points and still get a distinction overall!

Confusing stuff!

Sounds good! Yeah I'm on a dipolma so it's 3 a levels, you sound like you're on a first btec which is one a level i think?:wtf:

Sounds good! Yeah I'm on a dipolma so it's 3 a levels, you sound like you're on a first btec which is one a level i think?:wtf:

Yeah, i'm doing the BTEC national award forensic science, along with 3 A levels. All those specifications and stuff are confusing, but I think i'll be fine. I'll just check with my teacher tomorrow just to be safe.

A lot of people here seem to be saying that just because they're really good at a subject means they should do that subject as a degree and the opportunities will be endless for them when they graduate.

I suppose for a lucky few that is what happens but NOT for everyone. I had the highest grade of my year for English, I really enjoyed it and thought that the world would be my oyster after graduating so I decided to do an MA in English. 4 years later I graduated with honours and could not find a job for the life of me because employers see a subject like English as a 'general degree' meaning technically speaking I'm not actually trained in anything.

After taking a year out I'm applying to go to Leeds Uni to do a Post Graduate MA in Social Research, a course that will teach me all the ins and outs of doing research for large corporations/companies and using it in careers such as market and commercial research - something that I've always wanted to do. Sure the fees are a bitch but at least after two years I'll have a better chance at getting a job within a sector I really want to work in - Research!

All I would say to people who are starting their studies this year is make sure you do have a think about what your degree will do for you after you graduate. It may seem like a long time into the future but it does creep up on you sooner than you think! Oh and for the love of God join some societies/clubs because it looks good on your CV and employers like to see that you have got involved with activities outside your studies.:smile: