Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Universities and shizzle.

Twozzok

But your ears work fine! Is £800 all you think your hearing's worth? I would've much rather had two fully working ears than a free laptop. I would pay a lot more for a brand spanking new eye.

You could argue that there's very little direct reasoning to give all these disabled kids free stuff - surely that's positive discrimination, or whatever? But I would argue that you have no idea how far reaching being partially deaf is in life... bah I've just woken up and alraedy I'm in a sour mood.

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But your ears work fine! Is £800 all you think your hearing's worth? I would've much rather had two fully working ears than a free laptop. I would pay a lot more for a brand spanking new eye.

You could argue that there's very little direct reasoning to give all these disabled kids free stuff - surely that's positive discrimination, or whatever? But I would argue that you have no idea how far reaching being partially deaf is in life... bah I've just woken up and alraedy I'm in a sour mood.

I think the point was that it seems alittle strange to hand somebody a free laptop just because they are partially deaf. Whilst the scribe seems like the best thing and no one can judge that, what has getting a 800 laptop got to do with being deaf? Being deaf doesn't mean you possibly can't afford it.

:) I think that was the point? Fish correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just the interepter ^_^

ps. Calm jay! *hands ice-cream*

Yeah I know what he was arguing, and that his point boils down to "but Why!", my point is "for once I am glad there's no logic involved, because life sucks a lot more for me than it ever could for you, and if all I get is a laptop then fuck you."

Anyway - go ahead and search for your uni at the times' good uni guide. Hallam is 76th, US is 22nd :P I'm beginning to wonder why I didn't look at this list before I chose my course... Rather depressing, really.

Well I got my entitlement thingy. They always confuse me.

But I think im being given £3100 maintenance loan and £1500 grant (not to be repayed I believe)...I think. If so good news.

And I've just calculated how long the three years of uni have cost me....£20,000 :/

Yeah I know what he was arguing, and that his point boils down to "but Why!", my point is "for once I am glad there's no logic involved, because life sucks a lot more for me than it ever could for you, and if all I get is a laptop then fuck you."

Anyway - go ahead and search for your uni at the times' good uni guide. Hallam is 76th, US is 22nd :P I'm beginning to wonder why I didn't look at this list before I chose my course... Rather depressing, really.

haha, it's still a good uni, although hallam is still building!

I wish there was some logic involved, it'd be quite nice for a free desktop rather than forking out for one.

Ashley uni is a ridiculous amount of money, it's why my maintence is 1800 rather than 3100, even still it's pushing up to 7k a year just to be there. -.-

Well I got my entitlement thingy. They always confuse me.

But I think im being given £3100 maintenance loan and £1500 grant (not to be repayed I believe)...I think. If so good news.

And I've just calculated how long the three years of uni have cost me....£20,000 :/

My student loan got nearly £500 interest added to it last year. Its rapidly heading towards the 13k barrier. But fuck it if I forget about it it's not really there.

haha, it's still a good uni, although hallam is still building!

I wish there was some logic involved, it'd be quite nice for a free desktop rather than forking out for one.

Ashley uni is a ridiculous amount of money, it's why my maintence is 1800 rather than 3100, even still it's pushing up to 7k a year just to be there. -.-

Well they're reviewing the 'cap' on tuition fees this year. Currently the max is £3145, but there are only two unis in England that don't charge the maximum. If the cap is taken off next year then... well say HELLO!!! to more debt :D

Well they're reviewing the 'cap' on tuition fees this year. Currently the max is £3145, but there are only two unis in England that don't charge the maximum. If the cap is taken off next year then... well say HELLO!!! to more debt :D

haha, I hope they don't jack up the prices higher than four grand. It's bad enough that one year is already about 6-7k a year just to be there.

My Uni (Bedfordshire) is 89! Get in!

As for student debt, I try not to worry about it, though the interest is scary, I got a letter last summer, and in one year I owed a fair bit more.

Yeah. Though I'm not quite sure how you go about it.

Hmm good, my parents and me want to get it to a small percentage by the time I leave so I'm not forking out thousands of pounds in debt.

Not a nice way to leave. ''here have a certificate and LOTS OF DEBT MWUAHAHAHA''

:indeed:

Mine is 81st. I knew it was in the 80s as I happened to look at the paper the day it came out (was on my way to Manc). I wish I had chosen a better uni/I wish I hadn't decided to stick around here for the sack of my family. Ah well.

Yeah. Though I'm not quite sure how you go about it.

Mmm true, how the hell do you do that...contact the student finance company im sure they'll gladly tell you how to give them money.

And if they're going to up the cost even further I know I won't be doing the 2 year animation course I'm considering. (with it being an art course too will mean the cost is higher for materials etc)

http://www.studentloanrepayment.co.uk is the site that holds info about repaying, but I've not had a good enough look around to say how it portrays the tuition-fee situation. Reading up about inflation/deferring repayment... well it's going to be a bitch.

It seems to suggest that you can only repay the loans once you've finished the course, but I'm sure I saw a link on teh sfd website somewhere saying you could make a payment.

It looks like you can lose around 9% of your paycheck above the threshold (currently around £25,000 before tax...) which, of course, sucks. Average earnings for a Ba is around £35,000 -- that's, like, peak earnings, not initial job and shit.

Also it turns out that Brighton uni's english students nearly all get a graduate job immediately after uni, whereas Hallam's overall 'success' rate for students is something like 56%. AWESOME. I shall continue burning, poor and lonely.

[/uninteresting post]

You can pay it off whenever you want you just send a cheque to the SLC. But if you can afford to pay it off early there really is not point. The interest rate is so low you're better off putting the money in a savings account or ISA and making some money off the government and keep making the minmium payment through your salaray. (not that I earn enough to pay back any of it, but thats another story)

Or you could use The Sunday Times good uni guide... fuck Oxford. :heh:

Regarding laptops, etc. - I know various people who get all that stuff, it's usually relatively justifed. Fun fact: if you drop out, you get to keep it all! Of course, I get nothing.

Oh yes, Fish, "half deaf" is a bit of an odd term to use, as just about nobody classed as deaf can hear nothing at all. It's usually measured in terms of level of hearing loss, i.e. moderate, severe, profound, etc.

Mine (Surrey) is 39th, and for the subject Surrey is 16th, and Loughborough, my reserve, has suddenly (like, since last month) gone up to 6th.

I prefer Guildford as a town, and it's course is the most fully endorsed by ICE.

Hmm media in Worcester is 65th so thats somewhat better I suppose.

Whenever someone mocks Worcester (or boasts about their own uni) for being so poor I remind them I did get an unconditional offer from Warwick (6th) but didn't like the course. And im still glad I didn't go for it.

The uni I'm hoping to go to, Warwick, is usually in the top ten in most newspapers and it's 4th for my subject (after Oxford, Cambridge and Imperial). My backup, UCL, is pretty good too, though it's not as good at Warwick for Maths.

There's very little difference between Oxford and Cambridge though, I think Oxford comes top in most league tables but it's all a matter of which subject you're taking.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!