NEurope
flameboy

31 is no age...

My dad just got off the phone to the hospital she is going for a CT scan to see if there is any brain activity as she has not woken up yet. Looks like we could be set for the long drive down to Birmingham again...

i know it doesnt help much, but seriously - my thoughts are with you.. really wishing her well. (u___u)

My dad just got off the phone to the hospital she is going for a CT scan to see if there is any brain activity as she has not woken up yet. Looks like we could be set for the long drive down to Birmingham again...

Any news about her or the scan yet?

Hopefully things are getting better. Her husband and niece are amazing. It wasn't nice reading about what happened :( 2 in such a small space of time, never even heard of that happening before :S very sorry to hear flameboy.

Any updates?

Well she has had the CT scan and she is in a coma with the sedatation having now worn off. the results show her brain is slightly swollen but their is still activity. Also they have shined a light in her eyes and her pupils have dilated something which after research I have discovered does not happen if someone is brain dead.. Also there are signs she is trying to breath without the machine another thing that wouldn't happen without the brain telling her body to do...

So after the scan at least we know more than we did the day it happened. Taking the day off work tomorrow to go back to Birmingham to visit her.

Well she has had the CT scan and she is in a coma with the sedatation having now worn off. the results show her brain is slightly swollen but their is still activity. Also they have shined a light in her eyes and her pupils have dilated something which after research I have discovered does not happen if someone is brain dead.. Also there are signs she is trying to breath without the machine another thing that wouldn't happen without the brain telling her body to do...

So after the scan at least we know more than we did the day it happened. Taking the day off work tomorrow to go back to Birmingham to visit her.

That sounds pretty promising dude, my brother showed similar symptons after his accident in September and he's pretty much back to normal now. It is a long road to recovery though, it's really not nice seeing them coming out of the sedation as they can't really control their body. The swelling should subside with no permanent damage. Expect her to be in hospital for quite some time, my brother was in for about 2 months I think and although it was a different type of injury (hit by a car) they originally thought he would be in for a lot longer.

Sorry to hear about all of this, man. If you need a chat or something, I'm on here or MSN for you, dude.

any news flameboy?

Thanks for asking...

No real news as such. Comatose still and they said they don't expect her condition to change much in the next 6 weeks..which is when they are going to assess whether or not to send her into a rehabilation ward of hospital. She is breathing for herself, only having help at night time. My niece (her daughter) hasn't been in much over the last week, shes 14 and we are all kinda worried she is in denial abit, she went in yesterday and my sister's heartbeat raced up her eyes opened (something a bit more common now) and she looked like she was trying to lean forward and started making noises as if trying to talk...but I'm not sure if this was involuntary reflexes that happened to happen at the same time...It is some great hope to cling onto and was one of the most incredible things I have seen and shows how resilent the body possibly can and that there is a way back and that Rachelle is still in there...

One of her friends was there who I have never met and she was in a coma for 3 months and bar a slight speech impediment she is 100% fine so it shows miracles can happen...

I seen a program about people in coma's a while back its nothing like on TV soaps when they just wake up and are fine. They are kinds in a state of half sleep, and its a case of time as they slowly wake up. Depending on how long they are in the coma to how long it takes them to recover but they DO make a full recovery.

I hope she will make a quick recovery, keep us informed on how she's doing.

Be strong my friend and give them all loads of love because that is what they might need a lot of at this moment. i realy hope this turns out good for every one!!

i am there with you mate!!

I seen a program about people in coma's a while back its nothing like on TV soaps when they just wake up and are fine. They are kinds in a state of half sleep, and its a case of time as they slowly wake up. Depending on how long they are in the coma to how long it takes them to recover but they DO make a full recovery.

I hope she will make a quick recovery, keep us informed on how she's doing.

yeah thats what the doctor said to us and that rehab could take up to 18 months from when she properly comes round.

Well yesterday had to rush out of work (bizarrely in the middle of talking to David Blunket who was visiting work to open a new residential building) to go and see her, she has now contracted pnemonia which isn't a good thing as she can't clear the infection herself as she seems to have stopped coughing. Things not looking great and hse has been moved out of ITU and onto a normal ward which I don't like s there are tons of people walking back and forth...

I don't really understand Pnemonia other than that it is bad especially when people are already seriously ill as it can be a struggle to shake off...

Just a post to say my sister passed away yesterday afternoon from suspected lung failure.

I'm so sorry to hear about this flameboy. Please take care of yourself. *hugs*

Just a post to say my sister passed away yesterday afternoon from suspected lung failure.

dman man, sorry for the loss dude...:(

Flameboy, i've never had a close family member die before so I can't say i know what it feels like, but just know that if you need any support we're all here for you.

My god, I just read that post and my stomach turned after reading the rest of the thread again. It's been quite an emotional battle..

Sorry flameboy; I hope you're doing alright. RIP. :(

Jesus christ, so sorry to hear that mate. 11th March, the day my mum died last year. Thats horrible.

If you need someone to talk to in private or public, Im sure I speak for everyone when I say I/we're here for you.

Sorry again mate. :(

So sorry to hear that. My thoughts are with you through this and as said before, we're all here to give you support if you want it from us.

Hope you get through this alright.