N-Europe

The 2007 Cinema Review and Awards by ReZourceman

ReZourceman

Oh c'mon. You can't rate every film on the same thing. Do you really always go to the cinema expecting awesome storytelling, a twist, an involving and deep plot, clever between-the-lines points? 300 was about the CG, the catchphrases, the slow-motion, the sheer size of the opposition, the manliness, the blood and swords and stabbing. Some films are meant to be enjoyed on a level of pure entertainment and action. Then you have to narrow down, without straying outside the confines of that genre, the ones that do it well. For example, Die Hard 4.0 tried too hard and wound up woefully generic as action goes, with none of the awesome wit and edge-of-your-seat tension the first three films had.

300, it's not the world's smartest film, but you have to rate it on how it lives up to your expectations. If you thought it was going to be stylish and gory action from toe to hair-ends, you couldn't be disappointed. If you thought it was going to suck because it had no character evolution or drama, you shouldn't have bothered watching it in the first place.

Not all movies are meant to carry you away on a dreamy adventure. Some are there just to blow you away with special effects, or make you laugh, or scare you or whatever.

Oh c'mon. You can't rate every film on the same thing. Do you really always go to the cinema expecting awesome storytelling, a twist, an involving and deep plot, clever between-the-lines points? 300 was about the CG, the catchphrases, the slow-motion, the sheer size of the opposition, the manliness, the blood and swords and stabbing. Some films are meant to be enjoyed on a level of pure entertainment and action. Then you have to narrow down, without straying outside the confines of that genre, the ones that do it well. For example, Die Hard 4.0 tried too hard and wound up woefully generic as action goes, with none of the awesome wit and edge-of-your-seat tension the first three films had.

300, it's not the world's smartest film, but you have to rate it on how it lives up to your expectations. If you thought it was going to be stylish and gory action from toe to hair-ends, you couldn't be disappointed. If you thought it was going to suck because it had no character evolution or drama, you shouldn't have bothered watching it in the first place.

Not all movies are meant to carry you away on a dreamy adventure. Some are there just to blow you away with special effects, or make you laugh, or scare you or whatever.

Couldn't agree more with this.

300 is awesome. Simple as. My brother just got the DVD in the post and can't wait to rewatch it soon!!

One thing I'm curious about is why people love Knocked Up so much. I fucking hate this movie. Didn't think it was funny at all and can't see what the fuss was all about tbh.

Superbad, on the other hand, was much much better! Agreed with that choice!

One thing I'm curious about is why people love Knocked Up so much. I fucking hate this movie. Didn't think it was funny at all and can't see what the fuss was all about tbh.

Its just greatness. Like I keep seeing the adverts, and the bit where he screams in the cinema is just friggin hilarious. Visually lol funny.

Can't wait to rewatch it, and the extras, I will probably do so tomorrow on New Years Noon.

You rated 300? Was there actually a point to that film? The best part was when it was showing up grow up in the mountains. The rest was pointless fighting with no plot.

300 is an incredible film. It's so beautiful it's ridiculous. Seeing it in 1080p blue-ray on a 50inch HD set makes me wet (more than once too).

I think your scores are way to generous on some but..

Here are mine I saw 42 films. These are all on first impressions:

Grindhouse - 9/10

The Bourne Ultimatum - 8/10

Once - 8/10

Blood Diamond - 8/10

300 - 8/10

Ratatouille 8/10

Letters From Iwo Jima - 8/10

Flags of Our Fathers - 8/10

Knocked Up - 8/10

Superbad - 8/10

Zodiac - 7/10

Atonement - 7/10

Sunshine - 7/10

The Fountain - 7/10

I Am Legend - 7/10

30 Days of Night - 7/10

Rocky Balboa - 7/10

The Illusionist - 7/10

Beowulf - 6/10

Curse of the Golden Flower - 6/10

Harry Potter - 6/10

Spider-Man 3 - 6/10

28 Weeks Later - 6/10

1408 - 6/10

Transformers - 6/10

Hot Fuzz - 6/10

Run, Fat Boy, Run - 6/10

Eastern Promises - 6/10

The Ex - 6/10

Die Hard 4.0 - 5/10

The Simpsons - 5/10

TMNT - 5/10

Smokin’ Aces - 5/10

Blades of Glory - 5/10

Hostel Part II - 5/10

Severance - 5/10

The Number 23 - 5/10

Fantastic 4 2 - 4/10

Saw IV - 4/10

PotC: At World’s End - 4/10

The Golden Compass - 4/10

Paradise Lost - 2/10

I haven't seen No Country For Old Men yet but I've heard nothing but good things.

... Maan, this thread sucks. I don't remember voting the first time through, but I'd vote for superbad if I could now.

I've not seen most of the films you've seen ReZ, but I disagree how you can rate films that you never want to see again 7+, films that you thought were just "ok". the 5 is there for a reason!

... Maan, this thread sucks. I don't remember voting the first time through, but I'd vote for superbad if I could now.

I've not seen most of the films you've seen ReZ, but I disagree how you can rate films that you never want to see again 7+, films that you thought were just "ok". the 5 is there for a reason!

Just cos' I dont want to see a film again doesnt mean its a bad film. It means its a good film that doesnt have a lot of re-watchability, or just that I wish not to see again.

• 2 years later...