Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Rate The Last TV Show You Saw (Spoiler Tags for Recent US Shows!)

Slaggis

Not-so-Tiny; Can you give me a sales-pitch for The Mentalist? What's it similar to?

Basically, imagine what Derren Brown would do if he was a detective and you've got the main idea for the show. This guy works out who killed who by knowing how people think and what could motivate them etc. I've only seen one episode so far, but it was cool and the main character is awesome.

It's pretty clever, original and enjoyable. I usually wait till I've seen 3 or 4 episodes before I decide whether I like it.

I just wish it hadn't taken up House's spot on Five so we now have to wait till Autumn for season 5.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

May start watching Invasion again if I can find any streams. Miss that show. Was really annoyed when they cut it after the first season seeing as it ended on a real cliffhanger and left a new storyline unexplored.

Seconded. That show kicked ass. Stupid Americans, why was it cancelled...

What shows are you watching on a weekly basis?

Lost, Desperate Housewives, Newswipe, Inbetweeners, Gossip Girl at the moment

What shows are are catching up on?

BSG (Nearly there :() Thats the main one. Maybe Heroes though with 5 eps backed up I don't think I can be bothered. Silly program. And the Wire - finished s1. Plus the OC which I've nearly given up on (In seasn 3, quite poor now)

What shows are on your list of Things To Watch?

Maybe firefly? I need some replacement to satisfy my BSG fetish

Mistresses Ep1+2

Got this for the missus as she was begging me for it. I watched it with her though and it wasn't bad. It was well acted and well scripted. I'm sure most people would describe it as a brittish Sex & The City, as its vaguely similar (four girl friends, chatting about their love/sex lives etc) but it seemed more serious and drama like to me. Also, S&TC is episodic, whereas all the storylines here are ongoing. Some of them are original, some of them are cliché (slut curious about lesbians, where have we seen that before?!). But still, i have to admit it was pretty good. I like three out of the four main characters, the blonde is just annoying (and ugly) with a poor plot so far.

I'd say its more like Lipstick Jungle. Its more serious and believable than S&TC as its less glamourised and more real. I'll keep watching and see how it develops, but so far so good.

CRYYYYYYYYYYY!!! Five eps in and cancelled?! Fucking ridiculous.

Well the episode where chuck learns about orion from the Star Trek holodoctor, the doc says "what is it? did you flash?" When.. well how does he know to call it the hip, groovy tag-name? It annoyed me, but just a little.

I like Morgan, ellie and Awesome muchly, but I think most of the characters at the Buy More have been boxed in, and can never really expand. Even the episode where Jeff gets a bit of a backstory was just... meh. I can easily watch the show, but at 45 mins per episode I'm constantly just wishing for MOAR!

p.s. when IMDBing to find Jeff's name, I came across this. Lolwtf.

Its not the worst out there, Wonderfalls was cancelled after three, Anchorwoman after two, Emily Reason's Why Not after one and Turn-On was cancelled before it even aired!

Wasn't the fuzzy hologram guy Orion ergo his dad anyway?

Yeah I stumbled upon that a while ago. The joys of user supplied content sites. (although I suppose it happened a few years ago with Ally McBeal/Ally)

Ah sorry I didn't mean orion (and how would he know they call it 'flashing' anyway? :P) I meant this guy;

bobpicardo1.jpg

... How did he know? But meh, minor point :)

I've been watching a lot of In Treatment, and I have to say it's pretty good. Very watchable. Might try and get the first ep of Rescue Me today, too, to check it out.

I still stand by my point of what else could you call it? Maybe recognising? But that is just lame "Chuck, did you recognise anything?" It is literally a flash, they can tell that from the facial expression its a sudden burst.

Maybe its a computer reference, flash memory and all :p

And I wouldn't mind seeing In Treatment or Rescue Me but I have a dissertation at hand.

Well I dunno. "What did you intersect?", "what did you see?", "where dem fulcrum at?"... I just don't think the dude above would just blurt it out the way he did. I mean they don't know that chuck literally gets images flashing in his mind, they just see him look like he jizzed his pants. "Did you Jizz, chuck?" would probably make the most sense.

You will call that man The Doctor, or Johnny Cab! And that's a dealbreaker!

Anyways, just watched the latest Dollhouse. T'was ok. Few random questions. Is there ever a time when someone isn't doing yoga? Also, where do the others sleep, d'ya think there's many rooms with this 5 pronged thing?

Considering we saw about 100 people at the end I'm going to say yes.

Likewise with the yoga, its a small room so I'd imagine they rotate. Although its voluntary so presumably different people will want to do it at different times and there's just always a yoga instructor.

Limited free will. They are (presumably) programmed to "be the best they can be" and they are able to do this through the facilities provided to them through the Dollhouse (running, swimming, yoga etc). There's been no signs that "right, at 11am Sierra you're going to do yoga while Echo you swim". Other than wake up, shower time and bed (and obviously out on engagements) they're free to use their resources at leisure...its like a giant gym essentially.

like when they finish a treatment and they say "did I fall asleep?", maybe they do actually do the same thing everyday... It's an interesting philosophical poser; if you had your memory erased and you were in the same settings, would you choose differently? Etcetc.

Random stuff from last few days:

Pushign Daisies - Comfort Food

Kristen Chenoweth singing "Eternal Flame". Awesome.

"Me and the donut guy are going into business together, we're calling it 'Finger Lickin' Donut Hole'"

"Thats great...and filthy." :D!

30 Rock - Greenzo

Jack: Look how Greenzo's testing. They love him in every demographic: colored people, broads, fairies, commies...gosh we've got to update these forms.

Cerie: Did he just talk to me as if I'm ugly?

30 Rock - MILF Island

"Heidi. We no longer want to hit that. Get off MILF island."

"Think he'll call me Jacky boy? If he does I'll be at erection cove."

Scrubs - My Soul On Fire (part one)

Aruba, Jamaica ooo I wanna take you

Bermuda, Bahama come on pretty mama

Holiday time! I like how JD and Elliot are just a happy relatively normal couple no, no big dramas (yes there was a bit in this one but nothing like the old JD and Elliot).

Wonderfully fun happy stuff :D

Dollhouse ep 8

Really liked this one, was wondering how much was and wasn't under DeWitt's control. Liked knowing the various things each one was seeking.

What Actives do we currently know of? I count (in correct order);

Alpha

Echo

Mike

November

Sierra

Tango

Victor

I assume there's only as many as there are in the military alphabet..

Can't wait to see Hotel and Uniform! :p

Life

Ok guys, I'm serious here. I don't get why nobody else I know is watching this yet. I can't remember the last time an episode finished without me grinning. It's a mix between House and Dexter, minus the serial killer element. Kinda. It's a joyous show. Every show out there treats its viewers like animals that need to be housetrained, and whether it be via plot-twists, good plots or a great budget they aim to neuter us for long enough for us to respect their show.

Life initially presented itself to me as a House-filler, while I awaited the fifth season to get going, but the proximity to Dexter lies in the emphasis in an overall storyline, and its prominance in the weekly chunks that you digest as the season progresses.

The acting is nearly always excellent -- the casting isn't fearful, and the script is generally wise-cracking and superb. You'll spot the odd moment of the bizarre in the staging of the show, but in many ways the shows lack of recognition of (and I wish more television shows would recognise it--) 9/11 means we get to see the show for what it is. It has no political or cultural commentary, it refuses to be led...

I suppose the filler episodes, much like those in House, are perceptably predictable, but, considering the show is in its second season, there is plenty of overarching storyline to keep you watching.

I've seen a fair bit of Castle, and I seriously say that Life is the show people should be watching instead. While Castle joins the ranks of average TV that will be a future generation's Quincy or Murder She Wrote, Life will be today's interesting TV, that at least provides surprises rather than the sort of connived shocks that are easily scripted; episodes of television where the end answer genuinely is not available to the audience until it is to the characters. Life... Life is the sort of show that when our kids watch, you'll wish you could say "I remember watching this when it was on".

Seriously. It's the best of all the easy-watching-TV that there is.

This post was perhaps slightly over-written, but truthfully I do genuinly hope that more people at least give the show a go, because it is way better than the CSI that will fill our daytime schedules in years to come. I promise you.

EDIT: PS I AM RATHER DRUNK

I do want to see it, but it came out on DVD the day I left Blockbusters. If I had stuck around a week longer I'd have borrowed it. Will have to wait for a mythical someday.

30 Rock - Cutbacks

Argh recession! Can't escape it :p I hope Johnathan isn't permanently gone. And my favourite line of the episode:

"You tried to barter sex in exchange for professional consideration. In the human resource world we refer to that as being a filthy prostitute."

Lol :P Well afaik The Mentalist is a season down already, so it's not like you're not investing copious amounts of your time either way.

I just reccomend at least watching the pilot for Life. You don't have to commit anything :P You can love it then watch an episode a week or avoid it for the rest of your life.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!