N-Europe

Rate The Last TV Show You Saw (Spoiler Tags for Recent US Shows!)

Slaggis

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh. Joke. Really appropriate too.

Just finished Awakening,

I gasped at the ending, feels stunning and strangely non-cheap. Though I suppose only a dream/hallucination could explain the fact they suddenly had to face Tomb Raider-esque traps. And when he started having sex with Cordi. You'd assume he'd have learnt by now. O

Anyway. OMG ANGELUS. But he's in a cage and a Hand Ninja has his soul in a jar, so it's fine.

I hope Lilah comes back. I love.

Connor just makes my skin crawl. I hate child sex.

I wish the Devil Beast didn't look so shit from afar. His cloven feet would be stunning if they were like Pan's in Pan's Labyrinths, rather than looking like he's wearing massive shoes.

What was the point of Electrocutioness in the end? She did nothing but show off her Batcave-wannabe then leave.

I believe she also comes back in the S6 comic book

And Gwen (I think thats the electric woman's name) comes back later on in the season.

30 Rock - Klaus and Greta

One of my favourite episodes. I just wish there were clips from the Franco parts on YouTube. I like how he seems to treat his career as one big joke on Hollywood.

"Your hand feels like a pillow that has been in the microwave"

"You're acting like such a non pillow right now!"

"The gossip blogs are calling us 'James', its a combination between Jenna and James"

"I know it's a girl Liz Lemon because I yelled out 'Susan B. Anthony' at the moment of conception."

"I'm the actor James Franco damn it and I'm in love with, and common law married to, a Japanese body pillow!"

tina-fey-james-franco-30-rock-2.jpg

Edited by Ashley

Angel - Calvary

I'm going to be sick.

I literally started drooling/water came out of my mouth at the end whilst casting out a silent shout.

*panting/terrified* "He's gonna kill us!"

"I know." *stabs Lilah in the neck* "Why do you think I let him out, you stupid bitch?"

SummerGlauAwesomosity.png

Just finished Season 2. In one episode they took everything away from me, gave it back to me and then FOX took it away forever.

I can't believe it ended like that.

I need closure.

"Will you join us?"

:weep:

^ I got the 2nd season on bluray months ago and stopped watching after 4 episodes because my complete collection of Scrubs turned up so watched all of that instead. Seen it all before anyway but need to get back to watching it. Still saddens me it's no longer on anymore. Damn you Fox!

Anyway, watched Robin Williams: Live on Broadway earlier. Seen it a couple times before so you'd think it would get a little stale but it's still a good watch with some great jokes in there. Williams is great at stand up and this is just a brilliant watch. It's very americanised with a lot of references anyone outside of America wouldn't get but even with that barrier, laughter still takes you past it. Still, his more recent stand up Weapons of Self Destruction is slightly better if only for the brilliant, brilliant finale done in Walter Cronkite's voice. But if you get a chance to watch them I couldn't recommend them enough.

Chuck vs Swoosie Kurtz and Fred Willard

:D More fun time espionage with the added bonus of Swoosie Kurtz. She just didn't look right without a shotgun though. And who doesn't love a Bengal tiger?

How I Met Your Mother - Twin Beds

o_O Didn't expect that.

Big Bang Theory - Spaghetti Something

I'm already bored of this new direction. I might give up after this season. Its not really changed or anything, but I've never cared that much about it. And its lack of progress over three years is beginning to annoy.

Gossip Girl - Its a Dad, Dad, Dad, Dad World

I'm also bored of this daddy drama. I hate when fathers in TV shows disappear for the whole of a child's life and the child actually want them back in. Just seems so stupid to me. But maybe that's just my issues... Plus Billy Baldwin is a poor man's Alec Baldwin.

Wow, I watched all of Angel Season 4 in about 4 days. I guess it's one long story so I kept powering through.

I really liked it, and especially the fact it was one long story. It actually felt bleugh when they had random crisis of the week elements like the people living underground. They felt needless. But then they were in it for one episode.

A very cool concept for the "Big Bad"...though I was confused; could mentally ill people see Jasmine's true face? Fred said something that implied that when she visited the guy who tried ot kill Jasmine at the hospital, and Fred herself of course has a mental history...they just kinda ignored that from then on. It reminded me of Glory in Buffy, how the insane people could tell Dawn was the Key Glory needed etc. Hmm. Either way.

I hate Connor. So much. I just hate people who don't listen and assess the whole situation. A good resolution to him though, and I'm so glad he's out of everyone's hair.

I hope Cordelia wakes up. :( The titles for Season 5 don't have her in them though...

SPEAKING OF: What a fucking idiotic decision to have Spike in the S5 opening titles...way to ruin what was surely meant to be a suprise? Cunting.

Hi Harmony.

I'm interested in the potential different status quo of this season, just watched episode 1 so far, but seems interesting. Angel's hair is really distracting.

My favourite thing was the emphasis they placed on Fred putting up her Dixie Chicks poster, then included in every shot possible.

Wow, I watched all of Angel Season 4 in about 4 days. I guess it's one long story so I kept powering through.

I really liked it, and especially the fact it was one long story. It actually felt bleugh when they had random crisis of the week elements like the people living underground. They felt needless. But then they were in it for one episode.

A very cool concept for the "Big Bad"...though I was confused; could mentally ill people see Jasmine's true face? Fred said something that implied that when she visited the guy who tried ot kill Jasmine at the hospital, and Fred herself of course has a mental history...they just kinda ignored that from then on. It reminded me of Glory in Buffy, how the insane people could tell Dawn was the Key Glory needed etc. Hmm. Either way.

I hate Connor. So much. I just hate people who don't listen and assess the whole situation. A good resolution to him though, and I'm so glad he's out of everyone's hair.

I hope Cordelia wakes up. :( The titles for Season 5 don't have her in them though...

SPEAKING OF: What a fucking idiotic decision to have Spike in the S5 opening titles...way to ruin what was surely meant to be a suprise? Cunting.

Hi Harmony.

I'm interested in the potential different status quo of this season, just watched episode 1 so far, but seems interesting. Angel's hair is really distracting.

My favourite thing was the emphasis they placed on Fred putting up her Dixie Chicks poster, then included in every shot possible.

I think it was always just the blood. I know with Fred it was her scrubbing Jasmines blood stained top so much that she bled herself and it got mixed in. Im not entirely sure about the crazyish guy but I think something may have happened at the bowling alley, its been a while since I saw it.

Yes it was damn annoying that Spike was put in straight away to the season 5 credits but it was also annoying at the time that they announced it all over the net.

Angels hair goes back after a while, its like that at the start of the season because he'd just come back from filming the Crow movie and the producers liked it.

Aww I enjoyed Crippled Summer a lot!

House

Pretty decent patient of the week. Bit harsh on the blokey though at the end. If positions were switched and it was a girl that used to be gay, then leaving her because of it would have been unacceptable and cuntish. Good bit of Huddy at the end. Bit out of nowhere her asking him to dinner though if she honestly didn't get paid off by Wilson.

Skins Series 4

Didn't catch it when it was on, crammed loads of it in during the past couple of days. Overall, not a bad series until the last couple of episodes. Glad they pretty much dropped the tedious Cook/Freddie fighting over Effy thing. Would have maybe liked some flashback with Naomi and the dead girl to see how they went down. Also, how the FUCK did Cook break out of prison?! Seriously, why the hell didn't they show that?! Really hated the twist with the last couple of episodes. Just as I was thinking to myself "Oh wow, they're actually portraying a psychiatrist as a normal person, most shows portray them as psychopaths" he turns into a psychopath. Him killing Freddie felt a bit fucking ridiculous to be honest. I know Skins isn't the most realistic drama but still, just seemed a bit odd. Yeah the ending was fucking annoying but I guess that's where the film will pick up from so it's understandable why they did it.

How I Met Your Mother - Twin Beds

Apparently Cobie Smulders is pregnant so I was wondering how they'd handle her leaving for maternity leave. Was a little farfetched for a story I have to admit but I suppose they had to get her out of there some how. Didn't really buy into the whole 'I still love Robin' thing from either Barney or Ted. Just felt like a stalling point in the overall scheme of things and kind of does feel like they're purposefully stalling for anything big to happen (not sure if next week's episode is the last of the season or not but if anything big is to happen to close out the season, it'll happen at the very end).

I love the show but I do wish they'd move it on a little than they're doing at the moment. It was always going to get its sixth season but if they're still leaving the audience in the dark about the mother throughout the next season, I can see a lot of people not bothering to tune in.

Ummm dude, Cobie was pregnant last year. She had the baby last May.

::shrug: Well, my bad. I glazed over something a while back that said she was pregnant so I just assumed it was recent. Easy mistake if you don't read things properly. Does then make my assumptions about the recent episode wrong and makes the events even stranger.

Will & Grace

The funniest sitcom ever. Fact. I've watched every episode countless times and continue to do so, and yet I find myself in hysterics constantly. Season 6 is fast becoming my favourite series, with about 4 episodes being the best of the bunch. It's just so fantastically written, and horrifyingly quotable. I find myself using some form of line/action from the show every other sentence, it's ridiculous. Like when Karen says something to someone, and looks around as though she's acknowledging others who aren't actually there. It works in so may situations.

One thing though. I loathe Leo. Why the chose to cast the most annoying actor to play an even more annoying character is beyond me.

Genuinely hilarious.

Blatantly not the best ever :heh:

And here's a related line from one that's better:

A guy who grew up in a tiny town in the middle of America: "The local TV station edited Will & Grace so much it was just called Karen."

:D

It was enjoyable but personally I have no real desire to watch the repeats. Did you get my fb message about the Karen stage show possibly coming to the UK btw?

I've heard Arrested Development referred to as a sitcom, which seems pretty ridiculous to me.

I enjoy Will and Grace cause I only see repeats infrequently. Dunno if I'd find it as funny if I saw it all the time (not that I think it's particularly special in the first place).

Mittell (2001) suggests "genres are not intrinsic to texts; they are constituted by the processes that scholars have labeled "external" elements, such as industrial and audience practices [...] the boundaries between texts and the cultural practices that constitute them (primarily production and reception) are too shifting and fluid to be reified" (7). Furthermore, "genres are constantly in flux and under definitional negotiation" (Mittell, 10). Mittell (2006) also suggests that postmodern sitcoms are "metareflexive" (35) in that there is "a degree of self-consciousness [...] in not only explicit reflexivity offered by these programs [...] but also in the awareness that viewers watch complex programs to see "how will they do that?"" (ibid). Postmodern sitcoms are also argued to "push the boundaries of complexity" such as "when all the divergent Seinfield or Arrested Development plots collide," as quite often happens in 30 Rock, such as in the episode 'Gavin Volure' (Mancuso, 2008) when the A-plot (Liz's romancing of Gavin who escapes from house arrest and enters the TGS stage) is concluded through a device raised in the B-plot (Tracy's sex doll).

So to summarise;

- Television is a postmodern medium

- Genre definitions are always in flux

- As such contemporary sitcoms are defined by different standards

- Ergo 30 Rock is a sitcom

- Academic writers are more trustworthy than whatever tool edits Wikipedia.

Besides Wikipedia says "a situation comedy may be recorded before a studio audience. Some also feature a laugh track."

And I would have used more sources but gotta shoot :p

Edited by Ashley

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!