NEurope
Dante

Spielberg's Boom Blox

Another example is one that represents a running theme at GDC, which is the collaboration between film and games. When Neil Young announced that EALA would be working with Steven Spielberg, it signaled a change in the landscape of Hollywood collaboration. By bringing AAA talent from both worlds together, this partnership has the potential to produce experiences that combine the best of both worlds.

The first result of this collaboration -- a Wii puzzle game titled Boom Blox -- is almost here, and executive producer Lou Castle has graciously agreed to share his experiences co-developing the game, in a session titled Creating Steven Spielberg's Boom Blox.

This presentation focuses on the unique production and design processes used to create BOOM BLOX, a Spielberg | EA original game for the Nintendo Wii shipping early this year. BOOM BLOX was created highly collaboratively with Steven Spielberg by a very small team in a relatively short period of time. Dozens of unrelated playable prototypes were created which focused on game play compulsion loops built around the Wii controller to determine which would create the most entertaining experience. Many ideas that seemed great on paper really did not make it as playable games and other ideas that seemed to have little promise ended up being some of the most prominent elements of a fully cohesive, premium family game for the Wii. This presentation will discuss what worked and what didn't as the production evolved from near a "games workshop" state with near zero documentation and fluid process to a full production with an almost standard EA processes.

www.gamasutra.com & www.cmpevents.com

Wow! I've never seen that trailer before. This game looks awesome! I love th bit at the end with the designing your own level.

The level editor look's very good, but the main game doesn't intrest me at all. Reminds me a lot of Lego.

Give me a proper Indiana Jones game Spielberg!

Has no one cringed at the games name yet?

Yes. "Blocks" was a million times better.

Bloom Box? I'm still calling it "Blocks".

I'm in love with the concept. Will we be able to exchange created puzzles trough Wi-Fi/WiiConnect?

Bloom Box? I'm still calling it "Blocks".

I'm in love with the concept. Will we be able to exchange created puzzles trough Wi-Fi/WiiConnect?

Yeah you can.

I think the game looks good, it's just I can't get over the fact EA are trying to hype it up as this incredible game which was made by the best film director in the world. I think this game would be really exciting if it was a quirky £19.99 indie title being published by majesco or something, instead EA are trying to throw what is an incredible basic and simple game at us while they make stuff like Army of Two / Skate on the other consoles.

I just hate what EA are trying to do with this game, it's going to have a much larger marketing budget then developement budget and seems to present it's selling point as the fact Spielberg helped make it more so then the game itself.

I'll restore some faith once this doesn't get released as a full price game alongside the likes of Metroid Prime 3 and Super Mario Galaxy.

I think this looks like pretty awesome and potentially addictive puzzle game. It just has it's own special vibe.

Great idea, i will buy this one.

And that trailer has only two types of blocks, what about the 20 types? :D

It looks very promising. I would love to see a bit more variety. The Incredible Machine had balls, fans, conveyor belts, cogs, even little people wandering around.

A 3D version of The Incredible Machine would be ace.

All I saw was some spanish guy on a skateboard, and then got bored. J/k At one point the guy talking sounded like he was on the toilet or something. I wouldn't buy this for more than 10 quid. And this would probably be suited to being a wii ware title.

At first I was a little disappointed to hear the game Spielberg was making for Wii was going to be a puzzle game (though I am sceptical of movie directors making videogames). But this looks fantastic fun, I haven’t had a good puzzle game to play in years. Come to think of it, the last puzzle game I had was Wetrix on the N64, great game. So I’m all for this. I’d rather see original puzzle games, than the amount of party game crap we’re seeing.

yeah this game looks like fun i think i will give it a try but first i want the final fantasy game

when will the wii ware games be available?

Cool...

I forgot about this game.

Urgh, urge to buy every Wii game i love, but i can only buy 5% of that amount :'(

Btw... the characters of the game are funny xD

Does anyone remember that

thing that was shown with the Wii Remote and IR LED glasses? Where moving your head around makes the screen change perspective?

Well, Boom Blox will have that feature.

http://gonintendo.com/?p=36198

Makes this game seem all the more interesting.

I wonder if we'll get some goggles with the game or if you'd have to put together some DIY set up for it.

Makes this game seem all the more interesting.

I wonder if we'll get some goggles with the game or if you'd have to put together some DIY set up for it.

You can balance a wireless sensor bar on your head, for added gameplay. If it falls off and lands on your foot, it's another example of a very good physics engine.

Does anyone remember that
thing that was shown with the Wii Remote and IR LED glasses? Where moving your head around makes the screen change perspective?

Well, Boom Blox will have that feature.

http://gonintendo.com/?p=36198

now that is something to make people stand up and take notice of this game who otherwise may dismiss it as a cack puzzler.

Here's some impressions from the Media Summit:

Boom Blox

- 400 levels

- may 6th, NA/May 9th Euro (dates reconfirmed)

- Spielberg wanted to created a game experience that he could share with his children

- three modes – single multi (competitive and coop) and create

- single player – explorer and adventure modes

- rated on how many throws it takes to complete task

- realistic physics for throwing. harder the throw, further your ball will travel

- 70 levels in explore mode

- adventure mode- themed worlds and characters

- mid evil, tiki island, frontier, haunted

- story introduces each theme

- comic book style storyboarding

- differ block types

- green blocks are chemical blocks, large explosions

- purple blocks can be popped

- unlock levels characters and more by getting silver and gold medals

- tiki them – reunite baby gorillas with parents. They have been kidnapped by tiki beavers

- grab too to grab things in the environment

- explorer and adventure challenge add difficulty

- single player has 200 levels

- multiplayer has 200 levels

- multiplayer has 11 unique game modes

- there are 4 player games

- trade off wiimote between players for some games

- create mode also allows you edit any of the 400 puzzles

- tools can be unlocked, such as super bomb and bowling ball

- stretching and rotation of blocks for advanced editors

- wc24 – send any level you have made to your friends

- 30 characters

- characters all react differently

- characters can interact with each other as well

http://gonintendo.com/?p=40004

Lots of different bits and pieces there including a European release date of May 9th.