Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

PlayStation 3 Console Discussion

McPhee

Yeah but the loss is allready huge so it would really be a drop in the ever expansive ocean. :heh:

Great strategy. :indeed:

Hemorrhaging bucket loads of money Sony aren't going to spend money on a feature most people aren't going to see as a deciding factor when getting a PS3.

No, Blu Ray movies are not free, DVD's aren't, PS1 and PS2 games aren't either.

Quite a few Blu-Ray movies are region free.

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Daft

• flameboy

• dwarf

• Choze

Top Posters In This Topic

During the presentation, the "Life" was demoed for the audience for the first time — the service shows the Earth, and users can access current news and weather for locations around the world. It's possible to even pull up the full article from the headline. Users can also set background music while looking at the Earth, checking the weather and the world news.

c20080626_20_sony_07_cs1w1_700x525.jpg

c20080626_20_sony_14_cs1w1_700x525.jpg

Screens

Maxconsole: Sony gets even friendlier, now you can have 100 friends on your PS3.

Now it is possible to have 100 in total instead of the previous possible total of 50!

Update on 2.4 update:

Update: Since our original story went live, we've received further information regarding the inclusion of trophies in the 2.4 update. As expected full 2D trophy support will be in the XMB update and there will be four types: Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum.

Platinum is only awarded when you have collected all other trophies in a game. Also there are no gamer points, it's all done via a levelling up system. Think Call of Duty 4 levelling up system, we reckon. Update Out

Great strategy. :indeed:

Hemorrhaging bucket loads of money Sony aren't going to spend money on a feature most people aren't going to see as a deciding factor when getting a PS3.

But still, it's just stupid how they included it at the start with most USA PS3's and then ditched it for the European models, it's obviously something people want too otherwise it wouldn't be an issue, they just seem to be overspending in the wrong areas.

So far I've only bought three PS3 games, but I've purchased about 12 PS2 games, I think I've even ended up playing more PS2 games on it than anything else, even with the few decent titles the machine has there is still a lack and when that happens people will just play other things on it... i.e PS2 games.

Anyways it looks like they aren't gonna fix the situation any time soon so it doesn't matter, it just strikes me as an odd choice. :/

So far I've only bought three PS3 games, but I've purchased about 12 PS2 games, I think I've even ended up playing more PS2 games on it than anything else, even with the few decent titles the machine has there is still a lack and when that happens people will just play other things on it... i.e PS2 games.

Thats the point. They want you to buy PS3 games, not PS2.

Yes, it makes good business sense :smile: but I just think it's nice to have full BC there for the times when there aren't enough really decent games to play on the machine, thats all, it's good too cos it also means if theres a latest game in a long running series people can go back and check out / revisit the older ones and get more hyped for the newer PS3 versions, so it would be benificial to them to put full BC in all consoles for that reason alone surely?

Well I really think Sony need to get their act together and release PS1 and PS2 games on the PSN, just like Xbox Originals. I know I'd definitely re-buy MGS2 and 3.

I think they will add BC in an update but I'd rather have them on my hard drive tbh.

Well I really think Sony need to get their act together and release PS1 and PS2 games on the PSN, just like Xbox Originals. I know I'd definitely re-buy MGS2 and 3.

I think they will add BC in an update but I'd rather have them on my hard drive tbh.

Yeah that'd be cool, they could bring some of the rarer titles to PSN too, those would be downloaded a lot I reckon, especially if the pricing is in line with the current PS1 games they have there, something like £3.50 per game? so maybe £5.50 per PS2 game download, that'd be good.

Only problem then is filling up the HDD as you could easily do that with like about 40 - 50 games ? even less if you allready have pre installed stuff on there, I know you can put bigger HDD's in them but the average consumer just won't bother with that. :/

Still it's not all bad, at least we have the in-game XMB coming up finally so things are on the up gradually. :smile:

Well I have a 320Gb HD. :D

Once you buy a game you can download as many times as you want so you can always delete them and download them again when you want to play them. The saves would be separate anyway so it would be easy to delete.

Well I have a 320Gb HD. :D

Once you buy a game you can download as many times as you want so you can always delete them and download them again when you want to play them. The saves would be separate anyway so it would be easy to delete.

Actually you can't. Only 5 times which is a bit naughty so be careful.

Actually you can't. Only 5 times which is a bit naughty so be careful.

Oh really...lame. They should allow you to download it a couple times initially but then renew it every year... or something like that.

What is it like on XBL?

Five different PS3s from what I hear

The ability to use PlayStation Store content licenses for re-download is limited to five different PlayStation 3

But some games you can't do the game share stuff, like Warhawk, that's directly linked to your PSN tag.

Yeah I reckon we will see PS2 titles on PSN and can be directly linked to the emulation job advert.

I have always said the PS2 finally dying would be a great thing for the industry. Finally the Wii will get that little bit less crap as people port less games from PS2. But for Sony it will mean they can sell PS2 games on PSN without pissing off retail, if they were to do it now retailers would miss out as people would stop buying preowned PS2 games if they can get them much cheaper for download. In a way it would have been a lot better if Sony had just cut off the PS2 like Microsoft did with the original xbox but then they would have lost millions and millions.

EDIT;

one other thing, whatever happened to the new compact PS2?

remember?

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/28753/New-low-price-compact-PS2-to-arrive-in-2008

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/news.phtml/11140/12164/new-ps2-SCPH-90000-launched-japan.phtml

out in japan did it come out here?

I pretty damn addicted to SingStar...kind of with I hadn't bought Rock Band now. I love having the music videos in the background, and the SingStar store is awesome.

Is that vol.2? I have the original and was considering picking up 2 and I was wondering if you can use your store downloads with both discs?

Also, how are things Nick?

Is that vol.2? I have the original and was considering picking up 2 and I was wondering if you can use your store downloads with both discs?

Also, how are things Nick?

Yeah from what I've read you can use all your downloads its just the tracks on the disk that are different. There is also an option to swap disks without leaving the game which is good. The track selection on Vol. 2 is surprisingly good. I've got Street Spirit to keep me happy...ironically. :p

Things are cool. Completed MGS4 4 times. Will start again after I get a bit more Brawl done. I'm back at Square on Monday for some random project. Knowing my luck it'll be Final Fantasy: Barbie Sudoku for the Gameboy Color! :heh:

Hows the summer going? And the anthropology? I hope the tactical line revision worked out!

The quality of the games should make people purchase the games. My mate at work actually refused to buy a PS3 because he can't play his PS2 games on it.

I don't really care to be honest as I just wanted a Blu Ray player and to play the odd game that I would miss out on.

The quality of the games should make people purchase the games. My mate at work actually refused to buy a PS3 because he can't play his PS2 games on it.

I don't really care to be honest as I just wanted a Blu Ray player and to play the odd game that I would miss out on.

For me it was the price drop and the death of HD DVD that convinced me to get one, I intially wasn't bothered about PS2 games as there was enough stuff for me to go back to I felt on PS3...games like Uncharted, Burnout and there are still so many great games coming out this year.

EDIT

In other news; new firmware video looks like it is nearly here;

http://www.n4g.com/ps3/News-162994.aspx

Can someone clear this up for me:

There's a huge list of BC games that are playable on the PS3, on my 40Gb I've played MGS1 for PS1, created a memory card etc, and I also created a PS2 one but couldn't get Burnout 3 for ps2 to work, even though it's on the list.

Does the 60Gb have more BC games?

Does the 60Gb have more BC games?

Probably, the 60Gb plays all PS2 games I think but the BC is better on a NTSC model than a Pal one, I own the NTSC 60Gb model and have never had any problem playing any PS2 game, but I can't say for certain about the Pal model.

I play all my PS2 games on my PS3 now. They look much better through the PS3 on a HDTV. Connecting a PS2 to a HDTV makes the games more jaggy for some reason.

So I can say thanks to Sony for that, it really does help. My now white modded PS2 doesn't really get that much use anymore.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!