Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

PlayStation 3 Console Discussion

McPhee

Pitty he's wrong about almost everything else.

He's an analyst, not a prophet.

The sort of predictions he usually would make at his day to day job are obviously fairly accurate to put him in such a high profile position. Most of the predictions he makes at times when the gaming community is watching (for instance, on "The Bonus Round") are the sort of predictions that aren't necessarily his area of expertise. He makes predictions about the financial side of gaming, telling people what to invest in. In-fact, he's made a number of predictions when in the spotlight that have come true anyway, people only really notice when he's wrong about something.

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Daft

• flameboy

• dwarf

• Choze

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't even say Pachter is an analyst anymore, he has kind of built up this persona of making bullshit predictions with very little factual basis that is not analysis that is plucking something out of you arse and then saying it in such a way that people think you speak the truth.

What Microsoft did is bought up creativity.

It pisses me off no end that Microsoft design god awful consoles which break, charge ridiculous amounts for online gaming and DLC, accessories which should have been included (optical out, wireless functionality and charge cables for the pad) so they can extract even more money from the hapless gamer.

They go around throwing money at games instead of making original good ones and then release them bug-ridden and half complete (Fable 2 anyone?). Forcing me to buy their stupid machine so I can play 'exclusives' that used to appear on other consoles (RARE games / GTA DLC) annoys me. Luckily, for me, most of the studios that they collaborate with have made games that are of no interest such as GoW, Halo and ironically the new games from Rare.

Their whole business philosophy towards the games industry is this snooty, unpopular, rich-kid 'me too' attitude where they chuck stupid amounts of money at everything just to attract some attention is more than irritating. And now they're trying to jump on the Nintendo bandwagon with their family-friendly game series which so far has just flopped - Yet in the background you can hear them cry "don't worry, we're still hardcore!"

Laughable.

I wont argue any of that im just saying they got their money's worth via userbase expansion.....then had to squander it with the warranty extension

I wouldn't even say Pachter is an analyst anymore, he has kind of built up this persona of making bullshit predictions with very little factual basis that is not analysis that is plucking something out of you arse and then saying it in such a way that people think you speak the truth.

Again, I'm pretty sure his predictions are a little more sound in his day-to-day job at Wedbush, or he wouldn't be in the sort of position he's in.

Pachter is always wrong. When asked for his game of 2009 he said 'It's got to be Fallout 3 hasn't it?'

Dick.

I'm going to assume you know he was joking when he said that.

He is still an idiot, I remember when GTA IV came out.

"It's not a matter of if EA will buy Rockstar, it's a matter of when this year".

I knew it wouldn't happen, and it didn't happen.

It seemed much more likely at the time of GTA 4's release that that would happen. EA was in a better financial situation at the beginning of early 2008.

I think Pachter great, he's entertaining and interesting to hear from on The Bonus Round, it doesn't matter if he's wrong, like Emasher said, he's often called out on things that aren't really his area, but he has a go and is able to laugh at himself (Wii HD) if he's wrong.

Pachter is always wrong. When asked for his game of 2009 he said 'It's got to be Fallout 3 hasn't it?'

Dick.

I...

Er...?

What?

I don't know where to start with that.

But I'm sure it would end with: You're a n00b.

That's right.

Bringing out the old school.

...SO - I'm probably almost halfway through Assassins Creed 2 at the moment and I'm enjoying it a lot but the screen tearing is driving my crazy. How can such a high profile game have been released with such bad tearing? It seems like every time I'm running through towns quickly or fighting more then three people my television throws a fit. It isn't just my copy, right? Google is on the fence.

I've fallen asleep with my PS3 slim on a few times now (usually intentionally, leaving a DVD playing) and suddenly wondered if maybe I shouldn't? It never feels particularly hot in the morning but I can't handle a RROD equivalent so soon after purchase.

The Slim models are pretty good heat wise. Soon after I got mine I played inFamous for the better part of a day, and it metal bit of the HDMI cord barely even got hot. Playing a DVD shouldn't be much of a problem.

As for Assassin's Creed 2, I've noticed a bit of screen tearing, but it doesn't happen that often for me.

PlayStation VP Says "PS1 And PS2 Classics" A Terrific Opportunity

500x_custom_1253614899362_ps2_ps3_psn.jpg

The long-rumored, recently leaked existence of PlayStation 2 games joining the "PS One Classics" line comes a bit closer to reality, at least in the mind of PlayStation senior VP Peter Dille who calls the digital re-issues a "terrific opportunity."

In an interview with IGN, Dille says that the PlayStation folks are "working really hard on" bringing more PlayStation and PlayStation 2 games to the PlayStation Store, not quite an official announcement, but another glimmer of hope.

"From our side, we're going through our own studio organization and trying to make sure all these old games are out there so that we can lead by example, but we're also communicating with all the third-parties about the success of the Final Fantasy games, and other PS1 and PS2 classics," Dille tells IGN. "By all means, I think people can look for more of that because once the third-parties see how this works, it's just found money. There's not a whole lot of work that has to go into it and once we can get it up on the network, it finds an audience pretty quickly."

With PS2 backward compatibility all but dead on the PlayStation 3 going forward, it would seem like some of that "found money" would be an attractive option for Sony. About as attractive as the rumored addition of Dreamcast games to the PS3 would be for me.

Maybe we'll hear something official closer to GDC or E3 this year.

Source?

Anyway, I'd much rather have backwards compatibility for the actual PS2 disks on newer models, although, I doubt that will ever happen. The PS2 games sold on the PSN store are probably going to cost way more than they would be in the bargain bin at your local game store.

Source?

Anyway, I'd much rather have backwards compatibility for the actual PS2 disks on newer models, although, I doubt that will ever happen. The PS2 games sold on the PSN store are probably going to cost way more than they would be in the bargain bin at your local game store.

http://kotaku.com/5462621/playstation-vp-says-ps1-and-ps2-classics-a-terrific-opportunity

I'd rather the best stuff be revamped and re-released in BluRay collections.

As long as they're not charging $60 for one or two PS2 games (Unless they're really good), I'd be fine with that as well. Its more the paying extra for something I can just as easily buy for cheaper that I don't like.

As long as they're not charging $60 for one or two PS2 games (Unless they're really good), I'd be fine with that as well. Its more the paying extra for something I can just as easily buy for cheaper that I don't like.

I hope it is true becuse I want to play Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 agian.

What I would think is an option they should perhaps explore is releasing two version of each PS2 game on PSN one for download at whatever price they choose and one at a cheaper pricepoint that emulates the titles using a previously owned disc. That way Sony are still making their money and people who have the disc don't feel quite as ripped off!

Anyway on to what I was coming in here to post about I started Infamous yesterday! I love it, finally a game that has instantly grabbed me and made me want to play more. Since my gaming burn out over xmas this has been hard to find!

I've decided to be evil something I rarely do, however the initial choices the game give you help make this transition to evil a whole lot easier in my eyes. I feel that these kind of moral decisions work better when they are not aimed at an individual in the game. I mean the first two decisions that were classed as evil were shock a couple of people to make them get off your food and shoot guards from within a faceless crowd so the guards turn on the mob. The game also very much funnels you down this route that everyone is out for themselves and it is survival of the fittest, of which you are clearly the strongest and most powerful.

Compare this to something like Fallout where you go into one of the last stallions of humanity in Megaton and you see the people behind the town trying to keep it running and keep people safe and you do feel that tinge of should I blow it up?! Because you start to relate tp/ feel empathy for the characters. With Infamous though due to the way it slowly eases you into be evil by the time the machines get to brutally murdering somebody or doing stuff that will cause people strife your already in that mind set and its hard to shift out of it.

This could be taken two ways, either the developers of Infamous got it wrong and thought the early decisions would have more weight. OR they have very cleverly funneled you into this survival instinct that means being evil and before you know it you are are pure evil and have set yourself on that path. Think the way Anakin Skywalker gets manipulating and becomes Darth Vader.

Being able to get a discount if you owned a disk would just lead to friends borrowing games off each other for a few minutes, seeing as there's no way of differentiating between two disks.

Anyway, while it was harder to make major evil decisions in Fallout 3, I found it was very easy to become evil if you started stealing and stuff. Even if you stole from evil characters you sometimes still lost karma.

Being able to get a discount if you owned a disk would just lead to friends borrowing games off each other for a few minutes, seeing as there's no way of differentiating between two disks.

Anyway, while it was harder to make major evil decisions in Fallout 3, I found it was very easy to become evil if you started stealing and stuff. Even if you stole from evil characters you sometimes still lost karma.

nahnahnah...you have to have the disc in whilst playing for my fictional two tier system. So basically the cheaper version you'd download would be nothing more than the emulation for that specific game title. Which is the way they would likely do it for digital downloads on a case by case process...

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!