NEurope
McPhee

PlayStation 3 Console Discussion

Seems like a good time to subscribe to PS+.

Is it really worth it? How many months do I have to pay for?

You can just buy 1 month ( or is it 3 ) and call it quits. As far as I know as long as you buy the games, regardless whether they are on sale or not, you will still keep them when your subscription is up.

PS Plus is incredibly worth it. I'm half tempted to type a list of stuff that I've really enjoyed and got for free or for less money but that would take me ages.

I don't like calling it "free".

It's not free, it's inclusive. I guess that doesn't have the same buzz to it, though.

I'm pretty sure I've saved more than I paid for Plus purely through discounts, let alone the inclusive content. Obviously your mileage may vary, but for a heavy user it's an amazing deal.

I'm not saying that it isn't an amazing deal, because it is. It's even more amazing for someone like me who was late in getting a bit PS3.

Well inFamous 2 must be worth around half of the £40 yearly cost so there's clearly pretty big savings to be made. I'd say there's probably been at least £100 worth of stuff I'd have actually bought anyway that I got for that £30~ or so (signed up when it was on offer and when ShopTo were selling PSN cards for a couple of pounds cheaper than their value). In fact that's probably a really conservative estimate.

I'm not saying that it isn't an amazing deal, because it is. It's even more amazing for someone like me who was late in getting a bit PS3.

Sorry, the value talk was more aimed at dr4hkon. I should have been clearer.

Worth mentioning that Space Marine and Chime will be cycled out of Plus come July 18th to make way for two new games, so be sure to 'purchase' them before then.

Oh Persona 3 Portable has gone down to £14. I will probably buy it, I know it's good.

Deus Ex is amazing, it's a beast. Enjoy it. :)

Also I would say you have a greater feeling of control over Ezio than Cole and I think this is in part because Cole moves a lot faster trough his environment (running and climbing).

You feel more free as Cole though, being able to fall without consequence and glide everywhere. Both have their pros.

Deus Ex is awesome. Played it already and sold it but this will perhaps push me to get the platinum :) also the dlc at 50% is awesome.

PS Plus is this thing that has gotten better and better. Good stuff. The Gakai thing has me excited. Their demos are really impressive.

To be fair though Ezio is fully scripted in his movement and climbing. Cole has more freedom and can just almost leap over buildings, skip several storeys etc. Takes Cole a second or two to get to the top takes Ezio a whole minute to dot he same thing :p which makes sense given their powers or lack of.

When does ps+ get updated? I have a sneaky suspicion it's on the Wednesday when I am always out. I NEED FFVI in my life again and have been waiting for this sort of deal. Will get VIII and IX too (got VII on disc but dont much like it anyways) and possibly front mission 3 as I never finished it. Oh and chime is awesome. Can see myself getting addicted to that. More people need to try out virtua fighter 5. It's an awesome 3d beat-em-up and probably my favourite of them all.

Oh Persona 3 Portable has gone down to £14. I will probably buy it, I know it's good.

Yeah I've picked it up after @Happenstance and his recommendation....

If you sign up can you go back and buy stuff that has been offered on PS+ in previous months?

If you sign up can you go back and buy stuff that has been offered on PS+ in previous months?

No.

You also don't get the stuff instantly added to your account, you still have to "purchase" them for free from the PS Store. One you have "bought" them you can download them until you stop your subscription.

For future offers, it is enough to make them appear in the download history. If you don't the offer will eventually go away and you will lose the possibility to download them(if you wanted them to begin with). You probably don't have to finish the download or even start the download. As long as it is appear in the download history you can download it whenever you want in the future.

More people need to try out virtua fighter 5. It's an awesome 3d beat-em-up and probably my favourite of them all.

I had a blast on it over the weekend. Seeing as it was free, I downloaded, got all of the trophies off it ( which are stupidly easy ) and then deleted it. :D

Really excited about Gakai. Many people have only demoed Onlive but that has serious issues with lag and picture quality. Its also more of a traditional platform unlike gakai.

On http://www.gakai.com the demos run in your browser. The amazing thing is how low the lag is. The games are perfectly playable including Crysis 2 with a mouse. This is the first time I felt a mouse control game worked well on a streaming service. Same sort of thing on Onlive is a laggy mess in comparison. Picture quality is also higher on Gakai, the only negative is framerate compared to Onlive but it seems to lag less which is more important at this stage. The graphics are also set to pc extreme. Meaning better than the console experience in a way minus the compression artifacting(nowhere near as bad as Onlive again). :D

My pc is connected via wire to second router (main router is modem too) so I am serious about lag in games. Not sure hwo it would translate on a wireless connection.

In my opinion if Sony are serious Gakai should not be limited to Sony or PS brand devices. It needs to be on everything (Samsung, Apple Mac, iOS and MS stuff included). They need to think outside the box. The browser aspect is essentially platform neutral which is huge. It can also be used for other things besides just games.

Edited by Choze

Hmm...makes me think of something Sony could do with this and Gakai.

I think Gakai will be exclusive to the PS3 and PS4 (perhaps there will be a version that runs Ps1/2/PSP/Vita games on Vita).

Now, the PS4 will likely be an expensive bit of kit. Sony themselves tend to make a loss on the console itself and it means they have to create their userbase from scratch.

Now, Sony will still release a console. It creates a "standard" for all games (making it easier for developers), and allows people who either prefer retail games or don't have a good enough internet connection to play the games.

However, I also think Sony will allow all owners of the Ps3 to buy and play PS4 games through Gakai, meaning that the Ps4 would start with a potentially massive userbase.

This "super slim" console may be released at a similar time to the PS4, be mega cheap and be advertised for the Gakai (the name will change) and it's ability to play PS4 games through it. Perhaps even give it an overhauled interface more in line with their PS4 plans.

And to allow games to be gifted and stuff still, I would expect PS4 discs to be recognised by the PS3, and you can play them through the Gakai service at no additional cost (there would likely be an "online pass" so you can only use the disc on one account).

When does ps+ get updated? I have a sneaky suspicion it's on the Wednesday when I am always out. I NEED FFVI in my life again and have been waiting for this sort of deal. Will get VIII and IX too (got VII on disc but dont much like it anyways) and possibly front mission 3 as I never finished it. Oh and chime is awesome. Can see myself getting addicted to that. More people need to try out virtua fighter 5. It's an awesome 3d beat-em-up and probably my favourite of them all.

I saw your invite I will defo be up for some games at the weekend.

I saw your invite I will defo be up for some games at the weekend.

Ah cool! I was just throwing it out there but thanks for giving the game a try! :)

Is there a way to put downloaded PS3 games onto an external HDD and back to the PS3 later? Since I'm now a proud PS+ member I have way too many games :D

Is there a way to put downloaded PS3 games onto an external HDD and back to the PS3 later? Since I'm now a proud PS+ member I have way too many games :D

In a word....no.