NEurope
McPhee

PlayStation 3 Console Discussion

The base price for a 160GB PS3 console at Sainsbury's is £160 here (possibly in-store too). Then it would be fairly easy to pick up UC3 somewhere for less than £40 to be under a total of £200. Not sure how long it will be that price for though.

I did not like Shift. I assume it's aiming for realism, but realism isn't fun in this case. Haven't tried Shank and I doubt I will. The minis are ok, maybe I'll play them some more but I doubt I will finish them. Bring on next month.

I did not like Shift. I assume it's aiming for realism, but realism isn't fun in this case. Haven't tried Shank and I doubt I will. The minis are ok, maybe I'll play them some more but I doubt I will finish them. Bring on next month.

Awesome! OK very tempted but I did replace my ps3 hard drive with a 300gb originally. I know I can transfer the data from one ps3 to another, but how do I transfer the actual physical hard drive from one to the other, without losing data.

Im thinking I will need to backup everything to an external hard drive, then swap out the old for the new the put in the 300gb hard drive and use the restore function? If I don't do this and insert it from old PS3 to new PS3, the new one will want to format it before it can use it.

Right?

Awesome! OK very tempted but I did replace my ps3 hard drive with a 300gb originally. I know I can transfer the data from one ps3 to another, but how do I transfer the actual physical hard drive from one to the other, without losing data.

Im thinking I will need to backup everything to an external hard drive, then swap out the old for the new the put in the 300gb hard drive and use the restore function? If I don't do this and insert it from old PS3 to new PS3, the new one will want to format it before it can use it.

Right?

Yeah you will want to backup before replacing hard drives, as it will need to be formatted by the new PS3 before you can use it. Some copy-protected content I think may not be able to be backed up (rather can be transferred only from PS3 to PS3 using an ethernet cable). Most stuff should be ok though.

Yeah you will want to backup before replacing hard drives, as it will need to be formatted by the new PS3 before you can use it. Some copy-protected content I think may not be able to be backed up (rather can be transferred only from PS3 to PS3 using an ethernet cable). Most stuff should be ok though.

Thanks. It's ordered so think I will just transfer everything over via the ethernet connection. 160GB should be enough....even though I only have barely over 100GB free on the current machine...

I see Persona 3 FES is coming to the US store as a Playstation 2 Classic. Hope it comes to the EU store at some point. Im enjoying playing the portable version on my Vita but I do think it loses some of its charm and connection with the characters with the 3D stuff removed.

MY god. I thought getting a slim ps3 would make my console problems go away. Instead it has just double them. Spent the whole day either figuring out why the data transfer utility wasn't working, or actually waiting for the damn thing to finish only for it to get to 50%, then fail saying corrupted save data but not WHERE it was and after waiting for something like five fucking hours. THREE TIMES it's failed, even after rebuilding file structure in safe mode, deleting unneeded game saves, games and files to make room. This console generation has been such a ballache sometimes. Really considering whether I will bother taking part in the next cycle.

And funnily enough I am not even finished. Decided to make sure ps+ understands that I want my save games in the cloud, so I am putting in the disk for every game I have (I think I have over 20 -.-), accepting the prompt to load the save data, then exiting and repeating the process. It's a shame some have to download a 500mb+ patch to get them to start. Thank god I did GT5 ages ago.

MY god. I thought getting a slim ps3 would make my console problems go away. Instead it has just double them. Spent the whole day either figuring out why the data transfer utility wasn't working, or actually waiting for the damn thing to finish only for it to get to 50%, then fail saying corrupted save data but not WHERE it was and after waiting for something like five fucking hours. THREE TIMES it's failed, even after rebuilding file structure in safe mode, deleting unneeded game saves, games and files to make room. This console generation has been such a ballache sometimes. Really considering whether I will bother taking part in the next cycle.

And funnily enough I am not even finished. Decided to make sure ps+ understands that I want my save games in the cloud, so I am putting in the disk for every game I have (I think I have over 20 -.-), accepting the prompt to load the save data, then exiting and repeating the process. It's a shame some have to download a 500mb+ patch to get them to start. Thank god I did GT5 ages ago.

The joys of this generation. :D

The joys of this generation. :D

Imagine next generation when you to try and migrate all this stuff to a new console.

Imagine next generation when you to try and migrate all this stuff to a new console.

To get it out there early, I wouldn't count on PS4 being backwards compatible.

The rumours surrounding its basic makeup seem fairly consistent, and without an evolution of Cell — plus a switch from nVidia to ATi on top — the chances of emulation are slim. Could be they allow for some piece of optional hardware you slot in to the underside in order to play PS3 content, but that's seeming like a best case scenario.

Microsoft's next console will probably have better footing on a technical level, but even then you're probably looking at a similar situation to playing original Xbox games on 360.

To get it out there early, I wouldn't count on PS4 being backwards compatible.

The rumours surrounding its basic makeup seem fairly consistent, and without an evolution of Cell — plus a switch from nVidia to ATi on top — the chances of emulation are slim. Could be they allow for some piece of optional hardware you slot in to the underside in order to play PS3 content, but that's seeming like a best case scenario.

Microsoft's next console will probably have better footing on a technical level, but even then you're probably looking at a similar situation to playing original Xbox games on 360.

Yeah I think it's very unlikely too....which to be honest does outright suck from a digital point of view. I mean I don't think they have to offer us backwards compatibility for the actual discs. Because at the end of the day you can always buy a new machine and play those discs (in some form or another disregarding DLC) That is a still relatively modern phenomenon...I mean sure Gameboy did it...but NES-SNES-N64 didn't Master System-Mega Drive-Saturn-Dreamcast (ok there was a convertor for mega drive) didn't.

It's for digital games that it outright sucks if the the machine breaks you've lost it and if they stop supporting downloads of those which is surely gonna happen one day however distant in the future; you can never get them on another machine.

I'd even wager sorting out all this stuff is at least having some impact on when and how they announce the next gen. I think more so the Microsoft (for reasons like you said it's just more expected) they have to either announce yes it can be transferred or at very least be able to pitch questions about it otherwise there will be a backlash.

Looks like the Sony E3 conference is going to be at 3am British Summer Time. Bit of a shame that!

Looks like the Sony E3 conference is going to be at 3am British Summer Time. Bit of a shame that!

It's at 2AM

Microsoft - Monday June 4, 6pm BST

Ubisoft - Monday June 4, 11pm BST

Sony - Tuesday June 5, 2am BST

Nintendo - TBA

The good news is that the Monday and Tuesday are bank holidays in the UK.

It's at 2AM

Microsoft - Monday June 4, 6pm BST

Ubisoft - Monday June 4, 11pm BST

Sony - Tuesday June 5, 2am BST

Nintendo - TBA

The good news is that the Monday and Tuesday are bank holidays in the UK.

Result I think that's half term week for work!!!!!!!!!!!

Handy for getting up to date on news and stuff, will make scheduling podcasting about it all easier too!

Really looking forward to E3 now!

Always a great time on the forum, and staying up at all hours!

My one wish... The Last Guardian!

Seems a bit sad but E3 week tends to be my favourite week of the year. I love getting all the news and game announcements. Watching the conferences live while in the NE chatroom is always great and then a load of Giant Bombcast E3 podcasts each night to listen to.

IRC chat during E3 is always brimming with excitement and vitriol, it's fantastic.

All I really remember from last years chat during the Sony conference was "Praystation", was so tired that night!

Microsoft's wet fart of a conference last year was my favourite bit.

Hopefully this year Sony will have a good mix of PS3 and Vita titles. They do sometimes tend to spend too much time on some things and not others. Like Move, nobody care about it. Microsoft of course are the kings of this as their conference really should just be renamed the Kinect Conference.

I can't really say I'm too excited about E3 this year. The WiiU looks positively horrendous. Anything on top of The Last Guardian and The Last of Us is a bonus, on PS3 (Obv I'm also looking forward to a load of other games like GOW4 and Darksiders). Would like to see some Vita stuff but the already announced games have me happy, just need them to be released.

No next gen hardware announcements, please.

The Vita is the big thing for me. I dont think enough has been announced. Apart from Persona 4 The Golden (which hasnt been announced for Western release either) I dont think theres any games im planning on getting.

Seems a bit sad but E3 week tends to be my favourite week of the year. I love getting all the news and game announcements. Watching the conferences live while in the NE chatroom is always great and then a load of Giant Bombcast E3 podcasts each night to listen to.

yeah same here....maybe I could tempt you to take part in 30 minute gamers with myself and mike?!

yeah same here....maybe I could tempt you to take part in 30 minute gamers with myself and mike?!

Possibly, not sure how interesting I would be though.