NEurope
McPhee

PlayStation 3 Console Discussion

Got Modnation Racers Thursday and Red Dead Redemption today. Both games have the same release date, yet I had to upgrade the firmware for both games. WTF? Why do 2 games released on the same day require 2 different firmwares? Why wasn't the most up to date one on both games (the older one being on Modnation racers)?

Also, I can't find a single warning on either game saying that they require an update that will disable custom OS. Considering Sony allowed people to choose to keep their custom OS whilst sacrificing updates, it would be nice if they put some sort of small print for the people who chose not to update and can't play these games.

Got Modnation Racers Thursday and Red Dead Redemption today. Both games have the same release date, yet I had to upgrade the firmware for both games. WTF? Why do 2 games released on the same day require 2 different firmwares? Why wasn't the most up to date one on both games (the older one being on Modnation racers)?

Also, I can't find a single warning on either game saying that they require an update that will disable custom OS. Considering Sony allowed people to choose to keep their custom OS whilst sacrificing updates, it would be nice if they put some sort of small print for the people who chose not to update and can't play these games.

I'm sure when it was all announced about the most recent firmware update they did say that future games would include this update and that they would include the update in future games and that people would need to update to ensure compatibility going forward.

This year hasn't really taken off for me yet. Heavy Rain was good, Bad Company 2 started off being pretty cool but I've lost interest in it now. Haven't bought anything else that has come out this year.

Red Dead looks pretty mint, but everyone and their mum has bought it, which is kind of annoying. Fallout New Vegas isn't out for ages, and nothing else really interests me. Stuff I was excited about before seems to have turned out average or I've just lost interest in it.

I need a Resistance 3 to come out for ultimate win. Or something similarly insane.

E3 is again the big hope as I feel my PS3 has gone a little flat as of late. Mind you, LBP2 and GT5 will sort things out nicely.

That's not to say there aren't some stellar titles out there, I'm just looking for something out of the norm or a title that truly uses the PS3's capabilities.

I'm glad Nintendo have my gaming interests covered via SMG2.

Red Dead looks pretty mint, but everyone and their mum has bought it, which is kind of annoying.

Why is that?

A personal thing really, having tons of people on my friends list that are playing it makes it less niche. I don't usually mind if it's a big game but I didn't realise this would have the same kind of popularity factor as blockbuster releases.

A personal thing really, having tons of people on my friends list that are playing it makes it less niche. I don't usually mind if it's a big game but I didn't realise this would have the same kind of popularity factor as blockbuster releases.

Just buy shit games then, I never see anyone playing Hannah Montanna on my friends list - maybe you should get that.

I don't mean to be offensive by saying this, but perhaps you should stop being a hipster and just play the games you enjoy playing.

Either way, I would somewhat consider this to be a blockbuster release. It is from Rockstar after all.

It's a perfectly legitimate stance to take. Popularity does remove a certain sense of intimacy with a product.

It's definitely one of the reasons I prefer Majora's Mask to Ocarina of Time.

That Mubi thing sounds cool. I look forward to the day I can afford a PS3.

(yeah im late to the party, or news as the case is, but whatever)

Just buy shit games then, I never see anyone playing Hannah Montanna on my friends list - maybe you should get that.

Yeah but you have bought pretty much every half-decent game and DLC for the PS3, so you're always going to recommend stuff. For example you bought the Socom DLC and recommended it even though you've hardly played it, moving onto the next game pretty much straight away, there's always something new for you.

If I think it's good enough, of course I'll buy Red Dead. I have listed it in my top 3 for the rest of the year for good reason, I'm not considering it at the moment though because of exams. Playing Demon's Souls felt awesome because it almost feels like a privilege to play the game, all imported/niche products have that feel.

Edited by dwarf

Yeah but you have bought pretty much every half-decent game and DLC for the PS3, so you're always going to recommend stuff. For example you bought the Socom DLC and recommended it even though you've hardly played it, moving onto the next game pretty much straight away, there's always something new for you.

If I think it's good enough, of course I'll buy Red Dead. I have listed it in my top 3 for the rest of the year for good reason, I'm not considering it at the moment though because of exams. Playing Demon's Souls felt awesome because it almost feels like a privilege to play the game, all imported/niche products have that feel.

What can I say - I've got attention deficit disorder :laughing:

Can't believe your having a go at me for playing games - thought that's what this forum was for - games discussion.

Anyway moving swiftly on - I'll be getting Demon Souls as it looks brill I just hope it doesn't spoil your enjoyment of the game seeing me playing it on your friends list! :grin:

What can I say - I've got attention deficit disorder :laughing:

Can't believe your having a go at me for playing games - thought that's what this forum was for - games discussion.

Anyway moving swiftly on - I'll be getting Demon Souls as it looks brill I just hope it doesn't spoil your enjoyment of the game seeing me playing it on your friends list! :grin:

I'm not having a go at you for playing games, I just think you should be more selective and get more value from your games. If you don't like Socom that much, save money on something better, and play something you haven't got much out of instead.

No I'll be glad for you to get Demon's Souls. I'll have done with it by the time it hits here, plus we're a gaming community here so it's not going to be unusual to see a few people cropping up playing it online. When it's all you friends and cousins buying a game you thought was going to be less commercial it does reduce that new-game vibe somewhat.

Red Dead looks pretty mint, but everyone and their mum has bought it, which is kind of annoying.

This is why you should be playing just cause 2 instead. Possibly the funnest sandbox game going. (And one that no one from here seems to own). :grin:

I've always found it more fun playing through games when everyone else is playing through them to be honest.

I don't like Sandbox games generally speaking. Didn't enjoy the demo for JC2 either, I made a post detailing everything I didn't like about the game, it was quite extensive, but for some reason it was lost in one of the forum updates.

Sorry to backhand your suggestion.

No I'll be glad for you to get Demon's Souls. I'll have done with it by the time it hits here, plus we're a gaming community here so it's not going to be unusual to see a few people cropping up playing it online. When it's all you friends and cousins buying a game you thought was going to be less commercial it does reduce that new-game vibe somewhat.

On the contrary, if everyone's buying it there's a high chance that it's very good. Obviously there are exceptions, like recurrent FIFA titles, but these generally aren't accompanied by the rave reviews like with this game. I don't get why you don't like that lots of people are buying it. Is it some sort of elitist "I'm the only one who has realised this gem' notion?

The more people who get it, the more people you can play online with. On Demon's Souls, within my level range, there's typically no people to summon at the start of most levels now (except certain hotspots). And when fighting the Old Monk, it's usually an NPC now because there's not enough players placing soul stones down. I'd be overjoyed if there were more people playing the same game so I could have had people to play with. Plus, when you do buy Red Dead when it has gone cheap there'll be people still playing it because it's popular. Unlike with Demon's Souls...where the online popularity at higher levels has dwindled quite a lot all these months after US release.

I don't like Sandbox games generally speaking. Didn't enjoy the demo for JC2 either, I made a post detailing everything I didn't like about the game, it was quite extensive, but for some reason it was lost in one of the forum updates.

Sorry to backhand your suggestion.

Well you loved Fallout 3. This game is just as sandbox as Fallout 3 in terms of exploration, sidequests and depth.

It's a perfectly legitimate stance to take. Popularity does remove a certain sense of intimacy with a product.

It's definitely one of the reasons I prefer Majora's Mask to Ocarina of Time.

I prefer MM solely because it's fantastic and an overall better game than OoT. The fact less people like it doesn't make me prefer it any more. :p

Edited by Sheikah
Automerged Doublepost

On the contrary, if everyone's buying it there's a high chance that it's very good. Obviously there are exceptions, like recurrent FIFA titles, but these generally aren't accompanied by the rave reviews like with this game. I don't get why you don't like that lots of people are buying it. Is it some sort of elitist "I'm the only one who has realised this gem' notion?

The more people who get it, the more people you can play online with.

Well you loved Fallout 3. This game is just as sandbox as Fallout 3 in terms of exploration, sidequests and depth.

Can I just clear this up? - I've never questioned the quality of Red Dead, I just said that it hampers the feeling of that new game somewhat when you have tons of other people playing it. For example, playing GUN on the Gamecube felt like I was alone in its world. This game is set up to be an online experience when I thought it was catering for a solo feel. I have no doubt the game is good online, it's just I thought it would be much more niche, and remind me of GUN in a way.

If the game in question is Bad Company 2, or any game that I buy for online, then I'm glad about popularity.

And this is why you irritate me sometimes, I've mentioned it before: You act extremely confrontational. Phrase your questions differently please, otherwise it sounds like you're bludgeoning every point you disagree with instead of posting an honest, friendly question. It's almost as if you have to comment on every part of someone's post even if there's only really one aspect you stand against.

Firstly - no, it isn't elitism. Very judgemental comment there. Maybe you don't understand that a game may appeal more to me if it's less mainstream, but not due to the fact that I think I'm better or more knowledgeable than others because I 'spotted' it.

There's a reason why I said 'generally' when referencing my sandbox dislike. Fallout 3 is an entirely different sandbox experience to the games that were mentioned i.e. Just Cause, and you were probably thinking of Red Dead. Games I could list in this pool that don't appeal to me include: GTA, Saints Row, Infamous, The Saboteur, Just Cause, Mercenaries, Red Faction, Prototype etc.

None of those are like Fallout. Fallout is completely different from those for obvious reasons, and it's sandbox has vastly different dimensions and potential. The atmosphere, the narrative that isn't just a throw away to interrupt you from engaging in 3rd person action, and the RPG nature being give-aways.

Now Red Dead Redemption for me doesn't belong in that list of titles I hate because, like Fallout, there are tons of focal points and extra things to do. That list of games feel like bunched together infrastructure, taking place in boring cities or towns, where you run around killing wave after wave of the same humans. RD:R and F3 almost brim with life in my eyes, and take place in interesting locales, as well as offering other elements that suit me more.

Now that is me, I'm not sure there's anything to argue here. No six pages of discussion. However, with you there probably is, and I'm guessing an expected breakdown of each individual paragraph I've made, that comes to a head when you try to tell me how you don't sound confrontational.

Edited by dwarf

And this is why you irritate me sometimes, I've mentioned it before: You act extremely confrontational. Phrase your questions differently please, otherwise it sounds like you're bludgeoning every point you disagree with instead of posting an honest, friendly question. It's almost as if you have to comment on every part of someone's post even if there's only really one aspect you stand against.

Seriously...I have no idea where you are. One minute I am helping you, spending several hours killing a boss for you online (or giving advice), and you seem grateful, but then the next minute you're moaning about my posts not sounding kind enough. I post on what I see; sorry if I'm not using flattering smilies here and there but I really don't see the point. It's the internet and I just don't care enough.

Firstly - no, it isn't elitism. Very judgemental comment there. Maybe you don't understand that a game may appeal more to me if it's less mainstream, but not due to the fact that I think I'm better or more knowledgeable than others because I 'spotted' it.

Can we just be clear: I like games solely for their content. If you start to factor in whether lots of other people like it or not you're basically starting to formulate opinions based on the opinions of others.

Now Red Dead Redemption for me doesn't belong in that list of titles I hate because, like Fallout, there are tons of focal points and extra things to do. That list of games feel like bunched together infrastructure, taking place in boring cities or towns, where you run around killing wave after wave of the same humans. RD:R and F3 almost brim with life in my eyes, and take place in interesting locales, as well as offering other elements that suit me more.

Yeah...so we agree? All I was saying is that you'd probably like this as even though you say you don't like sandbox games since I know you like Fallout 3. And this has the depth and immersiveness of Fallout 3.

Before calling others confrontational I would look to yourself, who has basically spent at least a good half of your post arguing about my character (which I never did about you).

EDIT: Quick funny, but I just scrolled up and noticed you also moaning at Cookyman for buying too many games! Grow up. :p

Edited by Sheikah

If it really is $10 a month, I have a feeling that's not the entire feature list.

If it really is $10 a month, I have a feeling that's not the entire feature list.

True, I wonder what else they'll throw in, maybe a set number of movie downloads or something. Either way I can't wait for E3 xD

Seriously...I have no idea where you are. One minute I am helping you, spending several hours killing a boss for you online (or giving advice), and you seem grateful, but then the next minute you're moaning about my posts not sounding kind enough. I post on what I see; sorry if I'm not using flattering smilies here and there but I really don't see the point. It's the internet and I just don't care enough.

Can we just be clear: I like games solely for their content. If you start to factor in whether lots of other people like it or not you're basically starting to formulate opinions based on the opinions of others.

Yeah...so we agree? All I was saying is that you'd probably like this as even though you say you don't like sandbox games since I know you like Fallout 3. And this has the depth and immersiveness of Fallout 3.

Before calling others confrontational I would look to yourself, who has basically spent at least a good half of your post arguing about my character (which I never did about you).

EDIT: Quick funny, but I just scrolled up and noticed you also moaning at Cookyman for buying too many games! Grow up. :p

Paragraph one: I've helped you, you've helped me, I've enjoyed and appreciated the Demon's Souls sessions. I'm just showing what I find annoying about some of your posts, even if I usually agree with you, I'm not expecting smilies, all I'd like was for you to chill out a bit.

The amount of arguments you get caught up in is amazing, and I understand why.

Paragraph 2: It's not about opinion. It just isn't, you actually don't get it. When you mentioned Smash Bros. and how everyone had it, but you still loved it; well, that's exactly the same as me with me. With this game I thought it would be an experience to share with just a select few. Even if this game were bad and I'd bought it, I'd still get that 'privileged' feel if it was sold badly. This applies to things other than games, like special objects etc that feel personal to you.

Of course this doesn't impact on the actual game and my opinion of it, I'd just preferred this to be niche because I thought it was going to be a fairly quiet title, adoption wise. 'Elitism' plays no part. What I originally said was that I was 'put off' slightly. Not enough to stop me buying, not enough to tarnish anything, it's just an external factor that is slightly bugging. I wish I hadn't brought it up now, it's been blown out of proportion.

Paragraph 3: My bad, didn't see the part after Fallout 3, but yeah, we can agree there. F3 and Red Dead are far more appealing than the standard sandbox games.

Paragraph 4: I'm not confrontational, I'm open to a joke, as I'm sure you are. It's just your posts are irritating on the eye in the way you probe at people. I don't find this whenever I have a different opinion to someone else here.

Your appeal to Cooky: As I've told you, I brought up Cooky's massive game library because he was always going to recommend Red Dead, so to him for me to complain about the niche feel is completely ridiculous. I have to be a bit wiser with my money, that's all. If you have the cash then fair enough.

True, I wonder what else they'll throw in, maybe a set number of movie downloads or something. Either way I can't wait for E3 xD

I would of thought FirstPlay/Qore could of been included in the price too. Makes sense I suppose. I know I wouldn't pay for both subscriptions..