NEurope
McPhee

PlayStation 3 Console Discussion

They announced a new firmware update the other day that gives better trophy sorting options, and prepares the console for 3D support. It also apparently fixes the web browser.

Edited by Emasher

They announced a new firmware update the other day that gives better trophy sorting options, and prepares the console for 3D support. It also apparently fixes the web browser.

3.30? keep trying to download it and it keeps failing on me.

I haven't actually tried downloading it yet TBH, but yes, that would be the update.

If anyone wants a bash on KZ2 tonight, I'll be on.

Wish I had Unch2 and its DLC though.

I ordered Stormrise from Shopto today it was only £3.94 so I thought wtf why not....dunno when I will get round to playing it tbh what with Darksiders and Dragon Age Origins having just arrived but nevermind...

Just a wee bit of Playstation news for you lot - Those lovely guys over at Playstation Chat Zippy & Simon have recently managed to have an interview with Nolan North (Nathan Drake). Scroll down the page a bit to find it. He comes across as a nice bloke too - well worth a listen. The Playstation Chat podcast itself is quite good fun too.

Edited by Cookyman

Just a wee bit of Playstation news for you lot - Those lovely guys over at Playstation Chat Zippy & Simon have recently managed to have an interview with Nolan North (Nathan Drake). Scroll down the page a bit to find it. He comes across as a nice bloke too - well worth a listen. The Playstation Chat podcast itself is quite good fun too.

Cheers for that might give it a listen...stopped listening to Playstation Nation don't think its as good as it used to be.

If anyone wants a bash on KZ2 tonight, I'll be on.

Wish I had Unch2 and its DLC though.

I might be up for a game one of the nights but busy with College stuff lately/not enough time to play.

I have 20€ to spare and I want to download a game that's good for playing between Demon's Souls sessions. Any recommendations?

Very interested in The Ballad Of Gay Tony and since I don't want to get The Lost And Damned a download would be suitable for me. Haven't finished GTA IV on the PS3 (played it only for 2 hours or so) but I did finish the PC version.

Comet Crash is also on the list.

I already have Flower, Pixel Junk Shooters, Super Stardust HD, Peggle and others.

I have 20€ to spare and I want to download a game that's good for playing between Demon's Souls sessions. Any recommendations?

Very interested in The Ballad Of Gay Tony and since I don't want to get The Lost And Damned a download would be suitable for me. Haven't finished GTA IV on the PS3 (played it only for 2 hours or so) but I did finish the PC version.

Comet Crash is also on the list.

I already have Flower, Pixel Junk Shooters, Super Stardust HD, Peggle and others.

Edit: Didn't mean to doublepost. Opera fucked up :p

Edited by drahkon

I haven't played Demon's Souls for a couple of weeks, can't be arsed to put the disc in to be frank. It's not that I'm stuck, I'm just not in the mood to play it really, I was when I bought it though.

I rebought Uncharted 2 for £15 and then the Siege Expansion for £4.70, so that may be slightly over your 20 euro budget. Well worth it though, the multiplayer is fantastic and I feel is the perfect break from Demon's Souls.

You should consider Wipeout HD/Fury as that's my favourite PSN game, alongside 1943.

I'm not too fond of the Uncharted 2 multiplayer.

Wipeout HD/Fury is already in my possession and I'd actually love to play this only for the trophies, but the online ones are tedious to get since there's not much going on online. Normally I'd go for the offline trophies but I want to focus on them after I got all of the online ones and this is probably never going to happen :D

I have the XBox version of 1943 so would seem pointles to get it on the PS3, too.

You've got quite a hell of a collection considering you haven't had a PS3 for very long (amiright?) and so I think you should look back through those games and see if you could get more out of them.

Wipeout's online trophies do indeed suck ass, but I only got them after I did the single player ones, because they're way more fun, and as I say about many games, they're very rewarding. If you go through the campaign and get good by going through it on elite difficulty, you'll learn the tricks of the trade and have an absolute blast, I assure you.

I understand why you might not like Unch2 multiplayer, I didn't originally. The things I didn't like about it were changed though, although I'm guessing you just don't like the actual gameplay.

You've got quite a hell of a collection considering you haven't had a PS3 for very long (amiright?) and so I think you should look back through those games and see if you could get more out of them.

Yeah, I've had the PS3 since the release of the Slim version. Aaaaand I had too much money to spend :laughing:

I guess I'll play through PoP while I'm taking a break from Demon's Souls.

Got SSF4, GOW Collection, Nier and Bayonetta to play. Going to be busy. Minus the online stuff.

When did Sony start making the White Dual Shock 3s again? I just bought one, there're much nicer looking than the blackish ones.

Just discovered the new vidzone and must say it's quality. Definately now a selling point of the system.

PSN updates will now be on Tuesdays.

In the US. Wednesdays for Europe.

Damn. Tuesday is the perfect day to have them, oh well.

Has anyone here got/played Ratchet and Clank Tools of Destruction? I've rented it and I'm finding it mind-bogglingly simplistic compared to other platformers. It's actually quite refreshing and easy going fun, but I'm not sure it's worth having it rented when I could send it back and potentially get Bioshock 2 or Heavy Rain or something like that instead. Should I keep going? Is it short, or does it get way better quickly?

It's average, and gets repetitive. I'd choose Heavy Rain if I were you, it's a bloody well spent 9 hours of entertainment.

It's aimed at kids, it never gets very complex. I'd also say that A Crack In Time is the better game by quite a margin, so my advice would be to play that instead: it has a lot more platforming, the space interludes are far more interesting, plus Clank's Braid-esque puzzle sections break things up nicely. Not that they're worlds apart, you understand, but if you're after a few hours of inoffensive fun you'd be better served by the latest entry in the series.

Heavy Rain is definitely worth the rental. It's an easy game to criticise, but despite its many flaws I found it very involving. It should only take 6-8 hours to see the credits roll, and it would be a good game to play with your girlfriend or room mate over the course of a night or two. There are lots of endings, but it isn't really something you'll want to play through multiple times; I found going back and toying with different outcomes a bit like exploring the deleted scenes on a DVD.

Oh, hmm, I thought this was the newest game. To be honest I don't even remember adding it to my list. Maybe I'll wait and see what my second game to arrive is, and decide based on that. Until then, I am having fun, just not really being engaged or challenged in any way. Also I haven't gotten a single trophy yet, just how many PS3 games are trophy-less? I had believed it to be a tiny fraction.

This is lovefilm I should point out, not a local Blockbusters, so I have over 10 games on my list and the decision of which game arrives next is barely influenceable. In fact it's determined largely by things like whether a game is popular, or whether the spotty teenager who's off work in 10 minutes can be bothered to go to the shelf at the end of the room instead of just posting me the low-priority game that just landed on the desk by the door.