N-Europe

Christians vs New Line Cinema

Slaggis

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you guys are now interested in reading these books because of the controvesy surrounding them, you're wasting your time.

The books are fantastic, but too much is being made about it, because once again, the media and its wife are going over the top.

These books are a fantastic work of fiction. Yes, they have Christian elements, but its purely fiction.

If you guys are now interested in reading these books because of the controvesy surrounding them, you're wasting your time.

The books are fantastic, but too much is being made about it, because once again, the media and its wife are going over the top.

These books are a fantastic work of fiction. Yes, they have Christian elements, but its purely fiction.

Oh no no, I don't care about the controversy and how they supposedly attack Christianity.

I'm more interested in the fantasy element of the stories, and the fact that they are apparently great books (I'd never really heard of them before except for people mentioning them on NE).

I just love fantasy books. This summer I read the entire Chronicles of Narnia, and even those have serious Christian undertones, I still loved them. =3

So is the bible. But people still make a fuss about that.

Exactly. It's just a book. Thats why I find it so bluddy ridiculous that this select group of Christians have the audacity to moan about things like this, I mean afterall like you say, in the end they are just making a fuss about a peice of fiction, when they allow their lives to be ruled by one themselves.

Did it not just get cack box office due to it being cack compared to the book?

The Bible isn't fiction. It may possibly be a flowery re-telling, but it can't be disputed that a lot of the events in both testaments happened.

Well that's like calling the Command & Conquer: Red Alert series not fiction.

lol lol lol

Oh man this thread is classic. Im gonna set a precident for every thread now.

Bad story about a segmant of one religion gets posted. The fish goes mental about how bad religion is. Nealry all the forum join in and beat the shit out of all religion ever in any way. Me and Odwin in the corner point out you guys are over generalising to a massive degree. And the issue at hand gets left untouched.

Anyway back to the story. It shouldnt be censored. Ive read all the books and loved the first two but felt the third one Pullmans actual anti religion rethoric actually got in the way of the story telling. I mean the angel in the 3rd one and god? Cmon that was hillarious it was a real shame to let that stuff get in the way in what had been a great story those things really stuck out for me as quite childish like Pullman should make his own universe not use it to take issue with what happens in this one. Anyway I did enjoy it although Im not that keen on Pullman persoanally for his comments on CS Lewis.

So many other issues in this thread. I will take massive issue with one of them though as its what I do being a history student. The historical events of the bible sieorusly so many people tried to disprove stuff about the bible in the 19th and 20th century and to say epic fail is an understatement its remarkable how many documents and relics have proven various things true. Just a cursory glance of the Oxford history of the Bible (which is neutral and peer reviewed) proves this if anyone wants I will give some proper examples later PM me to add on msn or I guess this threads been derailed enough so we can carry on?

Anyway my view shouldnt be censored very silly all round and not all christians or religions are like that so lets not make a marytar out of Pullman as hes raking the cash in no matter what.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!