Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Christians vs New Line Cinema

Slaggis

Catholic League president Bill Donohue discussed the league’s reaction to the upcoming movie, “The Golden Compass”:

“New Line Cinema and Scholastic Entertainment have paired to produce ‘The Golden Compass,’ a children’s fantasy that is based on the first book of a trilogy by militant English atheist Philip Pullman. The trilogy, His Dark Materials, was written to promote atheism and denigrate Christianity, especially Roman Catholicism. The target audience is children and adolescents. Each book becomes progressively more aggressive in its denigration of Christianity and promotion of atheism: The Subtle Knife is more provocative than The Golden Compass and The Amber Spyglass is the most in-your-face assault on Christian sensibilities of the three volumes.

“Atheism for kids. That is what Philip Pullman sells. It is his hope that ‘The Golden Compass,’ which stars Nicole Kidman and opens December 7, will entice parents to buy his trilogy as a Christmas gift. It is our hope that the film fails to meet box office expectations and that his books attract few buyers. We are doing much more than hoping—we are conducting a nationwide two-month protest of Pullman’s work and the film. To that end, we have prepared a booklet, ‘The Golden Compass: Agenda Unmasked,’ that tears the mask off the movie.

“It is not our position that the movie will strike Christian parents as troubling. Then why the protest? Even though the film is based on the least offensive of the three books, and even though it is clear that the producers are watering down the most despicable elements—so as to make money and not anger Christians—the fact remains that the movie is bait for the books. To be specific, if unsuspecting Christian parents take their children to see the movie, they may very well find it engaging and then buy Pullman’s books for Christmas. That’s the problem.

“We are fighting a deceitful stealth campaign on the part of the film’s producers. Our goal is to educate Christians so that they know exactly what the film’s pernicious agenda really is.”

Book and Movie warning!

Most of you are aware that the New Line Cinema release of a movie titled The Golden Compass will hit the theaters with dramatic impact on December 7, 2007. The promos for the movie are enticing and appear to offer an escape to fantasy and adventure. The Philip Pullman film, the first of a trilogy called His Dark Materials, has been compared to Lord of the Rings and C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia series. Well, it's not. The Golden Compass is the exact opposite of the Christian-based classics. The film is viciously anti-God while weaving messages of witchcraft, evolution, divination, homosexuality, and immorality. The author himself boasts that, "I am of the Devil's party and know it!".

Needless to say, we strongly urge families to avoid this "soon to be popular" movie.

Supposedly, the movie has Bombed this weekend in America because of over zelous Christian parents refusing to let children see it. New line are screwed!

It's complete bull. Thoughts from those who have seen it?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They ruin one of the best things about the books to make these people happy, and they still complain...

That is almost exactly what I had in mind to say in this thread when I saw the title!

How rare...

The Christians need to actually watch the film (and, for that matter, read the books...), and if they still complain, they need a slap. And a life. And bullet in the cranium.

I saw the film today, and was disappointed, mainly because there is so much missed potential - if they actually had some character development, didn't shy away from people's deaths (bloody PG rating), and kept closer to the book (and actually finished properly), then it would have been amazing. Back on topic, they also cut 95% of the "organised religion is a bunch of wank" storyline, so why the Christians want are complaining, I have no idea. Maybe they just want the attention. :blank:

“We are fighting a deceitful stealth campaign on the part of the film’s producers. Our goal is to educate Christians so that they know exactly what the film’s pernicious agenda really is.”

I'll can tell you exactly what the agenda is - it's "making as much money as is possible", which they have tried to reach by cutting out the stuff that Bill 'Retard' Donohue wouldn't like so they don't get complaints about it. But, oh no, he still complains. I'm fairly he sure he either has a mental health problem (bar probably believing that condoms are the work of the devil and that homosexuals are evil because it says it in a book), or he just really, really wants the media attention.

In fact, maybe I've worked out why the Christians all appear to hate His Dark Materials - they do with it as they do in the bible, they view it as absolute fact (or an attempt at it), not a work of fiction.

Hell, they should probably like the books, as God at least exists in the world(s) portrayed in them, which is a lot better than he's doing in this one.

And people ask me why I find organised religion really, really irritating...

To be specific, if unsuspecting Christian parents take their children to see the movie, they may very well find it engaging and then buy Pullman’s books for Christmas. That’s the problem.

to be specific, if idiot christian parents who dont even bother to vet a movie before they take their kids to see it and then decide they wish they hadn't - take their children to see the movie, they may very well find it engaging, develop interests in something other than veggie tales and the street bible and then develop thoughts, feelings and ideas of their own outside the short sighted teachings of the christian faith!!

OH NOES!!!

:blank:

That is almost exactly what I had in mind to say in this thread when I saw the title!

How rare...

The Christians need to actually watch the film (and, for that matter, read the books...), and if they still complain, they need a slap. And a life. And bullet in the cranium.

Agreed. I've read the book, but not seen the movie, I still don't see their problem. I mean, it's a work of fiction, it's not a book called "BOYCOTT CHRISTIANITY" is it?

They need to get over themselves. Fast.

"Catholic League"....makes them sound like super-heroes.

They are just spewing the usual bullcrap about stuff they know nothing about and don't even want to attempt to understand. I'm intolerant of intolerance.

I've seen the film and its surprisingly good!! Obviously not as good as the book but no one was expecting that! :p

Not much of a reader, so haven't read the books, I know there's people here who have, so to those, are the books as "anti-religion" as that guy says, or is he blowing it out of proportion as christian fundamentalists tend to do?

Hell i'm more likely to go see this film now, might pop to the cinema during the week.

I mean didn't god give people free-will and freedom of choice, let people make their own mind up about what they want to believe in, forcing it on them may as well be a cult

I mean didn't god give people free-will and freedom of choice, let people make their own mind up about what they want to believe in, forcing it on them may as well be a cult

If this group of Christians had their way, free-will would be non-existent. I had no interest in seeing this movie, but reading about this, I actually want to go an see it now.

Not much of a reader, so haven't read the books, I know there's people here who have, so to those, are the books as "anti-religion" as that guy says, or is he blowing it out of proportion as christian fundamentalists tend to do?

Hell i'm more likely to go see this film now, might pop to the cinema during the week.

Don't see the film, read the books - the film doesn't do them justice.

The books are very, very anti-religion, and pretty damn anti-god (I wont say how, it'll ruin the books for you). The films are not. In fact, I don't recall them mentioning that the Magesterium is the Church, or that "The Authority" is God at any point in the film...

"Catholic League"....makes them sound like super-heroes.

They are just spewing the usual bullcrap about stuff they know nothing about and don't even want to attempt to understand. I'm intolerant of intolerance.

I'm tolerant of everything, bar morons.

“It is not our position that the movie will strike Christian parents as troubling. Then why the protest? Even though the film is based on the least offensive of the three books, and even though it is clear that the producers are watering down the most despicable elements—so as to make money and not anger Christians—the fact remains that the movie is bait for the books. To be specific, if unsuspecting Christian parents take their children to see the movie, they may very well find it engaging and then buy Pullman’s books for Christmas. That’s the problem.

What the fuck. What happened to the american love for free speech? Hopefully sales in the UK will make up for this.

Infact, hopefully they make the second movie true to the book and just don't release it in the US at all.

the sooner religion dies the better. I'm sick of this shit.

Whatever you do, don't come near my school!

If you really, really have to (say, if it were the only place on Earth that hadn't been nuked) then don't let anyone know you don't think the universe is only 6000 years old, that we were not created by an invisible trans-dimensional super being that is both infinitely complex, yet simpler than 3 particles and some energy, and that homosexuals are not equally evil as murders or rapists.

(see why my "I hate my school" comes from "I hate idiots?")

Pat Condell

I want my star!

Well done, that man!

Condell is a legend. :heh:

gold-star.jpg

A mate just sent me this:

Book and Movie warning!

Most of you are aware that the New Line Cinema release of a movie titled The Golden Compass will hit the theaters with dramatic impact on December 7, 2007. The promos for the movie are enticing and appear to offer an escape to fantasy and adventure. The Philip Pullman film, the first of a trilogy called His Dark Materials, has been compared to Lord of the Rings and C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia series. Well, it's not. The Golden Compass is the exact opposite of the Christian-based classics. The film is viciously anti-God while weaving messages of witchcraft, evolution, divination, homosexuality, and immorality. The author himself boasts that, "I am of the Devil's party and know it!".

Needless to say, we strongly urge families to avoid this "soon to be popular" movie.

This is an article from a School newsletter in America thats been making it's way round fansites of the movie. It's like they are trying to brainwash children.

---

Woo! I got my shiny star!

Book and Movie warning!

Someone prove that this is made up as a joke to cause add to the annoyance of fans of the books. Please.

How it boasts messages of evolution, homosexuality, and immorality, I cannot fathom. I also can't fathom why something that promotes common sense and equality (the evolution and the homosexuality) is a bad thing. Actually, maybe I have to be an arrogant shit-for-brains to understand it, because it's almost certainly clear to this letter's writer.

"To be specific, if unsuspecting Christian parents take their children to see the movie, they may very well find it engaging and then buy Pullman’s books for Christmas. That’s the problem."

On the contrary!

QFT, the film makes you never want to look at the books, ever. It's a pity really, they're an awesome trilogy.

Oh right, I forgot that gay sex scene half way through the movie didn't I? :heh:

Oh yeah! :indeed:

Silly me! How on earth did I forget that!

Maybe they thought the two male bears wrestling was sexual. Judging by how messed up in the head these people are, I would be fairly unsurprised if they found, or they thought that gay people would find, it arousing.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!