N-Europe

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Wesley

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you shut your whore mouth!

Nope, I consider it a FPS at its core too, but with a whole lot of RPG elements and far more gameplay choices than you're used to.

I personally draw the difference at stats. To give a good example, Fallout 3 is a RPG with FPS elements. Stats directly influence your skills, you level up, and all your skills get better.

Deus Ex 3, you get exp again, buy you simply upgrade your augmentations. No HP, no extra damage, no aim assistence or something.. Perhaps some slight stat modifying to improve your accuracy, like the first game, but this was only by making your aim more steady, you still had to do the aiming yourself.

The first game had weapon mods, this one has too I believe, but that's a FPS trait.

Yeah, but that was what I was saying. I personally think DX didn't relied that much on stats.

Hmm, I have to finish DX 2, started it some time ago, story-wise I think it has been good so far, although I'm not liking the choice I have to make. Gameplay wise, myeah. You know. I've not been annoyed by it personally that much, but that's because of my playstyle. I cloak, then hit enemies in the face with my baton. I haven't made any kills so far, although I believe 1 or 2 died in crossfires without my help. I didn't have to do much shooting.

TBH, I'm actually fine with this relying less on stats. RPGs should be defined by the availability of player choice and character development, not whether or not they have plenty of choices.

If it's a shooter and I get the choice to avoid conflict, develop my arsenal towards stealth and change the storyline then it already features way more roleplay than a JRPG linear snore-fest.

Trailer looked amazing. Still cant decide what format to get it on. Atm, want it on PC as that's where the first game was, while the horrible horrible second game was borne on a console. Plus it may play better with keyboard and mouse rather than controller. ARGH choices choices! May have to get a coin to make up my mind. But if I can't make this simple decision, how am I gonna cope in the game?!

;).

I wouldn't even know why you'd have to think about, unless like I said, your computer may not be able to run it well.

Although I love wii controls for FPS games, I still prefer "traditional" controls (i.e. mouse / keyboard), in my mind the order for best controls goes like this: PC > Wii > N64 > dual analog (X-Box 360 / PS3) > DS (stylus) > touchscreen (like Iphone).

So when I have the choice, PC wins everytime. Then assuming you have a decent PC, and also the game is not a messy console port, the graphics are better on the PC or at least equal. Then, of course, PC games are always cheaper, unless you're called "Call of Duty".

I don't know why you'd default to PC, really. Clearly, publishers no longer care about the platform so why would you expect the pc version to be better than consoles?

Were at the point in the console cycle where the PC version will look/perform a lot better than the console versions, assuming you have the hardware. Likewise developers seem to be putting more effort into their PC releases lately, and the 360 controller becoming a standard input device has helped those games that aren't best suited to a mouse and keyboard.

If I had a better machine I'd buy most multi-format games for it.

mhm maybe- but I'd imagine the decent spec pc version (maybe not maxed out) will look much the same as the 360 version- and for most people I think the difference will come down to whether or not they'll play on a tv or a monitor.

TBH, if I have a decent enough machine I may well opt for the pc version myself but only if it's notably better. I don't have any notion that Deus Ex as a brand will instantly be made better for being on PC. It's a different world now, not to mention another developer.

• 1 month later...

Major bumpage!

I got the subscriber issue of PC Gamer (Feb 2011), and there's quite a few new details on DX:HR, and some info on it's development. Here's the gist:

- Game is meant to be about 25 hours long

- It's now in a state where it's playable from start to finish

- In the section where Jensen cloaks to get past the laser grid (as seen in a recent gameplay trailer), the developers highlight other possible methods to get past that section. These include; shutting them down in sections; finding an alternate route and smashing a wall to get round; use an EMP grenade; overhear gaurds talking about a fault in the system.

- Alternate methods of completing the game/certain sections are there, but not always obvious

- Edios Montreal are close to finishing the game

- Augmentation system has changed; players still have to go to limb clinic to get new augs, but purchased augs can be upgraded in the field using "Praxis points"

- Praxis points are earned if player has gathered an certain ammount of XP

- Praxis software can be found in the game world, but is rare, similar to aug upgrade canisters in the first Deus Ex

- RPG like skill tree for upgrading augs

- 21 augs total, but each have different functions; totalling the ammount of distinct functions you can add to your body and mind up to 54.

- Example; with the leg aug, first ability is higher jump. Two seperate skill trees allow player to either have landing abilites (like enemy knockback), or they can run faster

- Investment is important; XP and Praxis points need to be considered carefully

- Players can build Jensen in different ways. Stealth, Combat or All-rounder were examples of how Jensen can be modified

- Hacking alone can be upgraded four times to allow access to higher clearance, turrets, cameras, bots and to make the hacking minigame easier

- Hacking minigame is played by traveling between nodes via a network of pathways to get to the registery, whilst a tracer routine hunts you down

- Some nodes can contain extra rewards, like extra data

- Other hacking augs can be invested in, such as ones that make you harder to trace, one that captures nodes quicker and one that tells you whats inside the node you're going to capture

- Two types of augs; Passive, that don't use power and Active, that consume power

- Energy cells still in, player has two at the start of the game and can be upgraded to have more

- Consumables can recharge Energy, although first charges by itself, very slowly

- Players can choose to not augment Jensen at all, although this'll make the game more challenging and player starts with augmented arms as default

- Game isn't out yet due to the ammount of bugs they've needed to tackle, as there are so many choices

- Rumour about one scaleable difficulty level is not true, three modes are; easy, normal, hard

- Developers tailored Jensen with a strong background and personality so people have the choice of being a jerk or a nice guy

- In one example, players can kill allies, and if questioned about it by other npcs, Jensen will cover it up

It sounds incredible! I'm glad they've made those changes, it sounds much better (not that I had a problem with the game in the first place!) Edios Montreal seem to have really hit the nail on the head; the first Deus Ex was about choices, different tactics and character development. This seems very close to that. Game of the year 2011?

Edited by CoolFunkMan

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
A stupid release date though. Have any games released in August ever sold well? Game sales always drop off in July and August in to September.

I don't think that's necessarily true. It would be more accurate to say no one releases games in August.

A recent example of a successful game that was released almost the same day — from the same publisher, no less — is Arkham Asylum.

• 1 month later...

Collector's Edition announced - for Europe only...

DeusL.jpg

However... http://www.zavvi.com/games/platforms/xbox-360/deus-ex-human-revolution-collectors-edition/10359593.html WHAT'S WITH THE PRICE!!??!! o.O

To be fair, the only difference between this and the Augmented Edition is the Adam Jensen figure... although it does look cool. I'm not paying THAT much for it though. Ah well. :/

<sigh>

When are they going to learn.

Good CE:

- artbook

- bonus DVD

- soundtrack CD

- special packaging (minimalistic and compact)

- price + €10,-

Bad CE:

- all above +:

- crappy plastic figurine

- other crap "toys" etc

- "exclusive" gamecontent (I mean missions, weapons and items, not some inappropriate custom skins or something. Should be on all copies fuckers)

- special packaging is tin case

- price + € 50,-

A good example is The Witcher CE.

A bad example is The Witcher II CE.

This one.. I might get it.. For the good stuff, but I don't know what to do with the crap stuff. If there's something between this and the normal release, I may go with that.

• 1 month later...

So... about the first third of this game was leaked.

A build for press.

Which sucks, right?

But oddly enough Eidos don't seem that concerned and are even letting forum users post their thoughts about it, including asking for help when they're stuck, on the official forum.

Apparently the general opinion of it's quality is that it's decent, too.