NEurope
Wesley

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

To be honest, the shooting mechanisms for the first were pretty shit. That said, it was still the best FPS of its generation for me, deffo better than the original half life, so I hope this works out.

Quite a lot of sequels were dissapointing compared to the originals:

Super Mario Bros

Metroid

Metroid Prime

Zelda

But after the critisism the developers realised what parts of the original were most liked and released the third game more in keeping with the original. Fingers crossed that happens here too.

please let it be good

please let it be good

please let it be good

please let it be good

now I feel like playing the original

I'm also looking forward to it.. I hope they release a box with all three games so I can finally have good versions of the first 2. I bought the second second hand recently at a convention, and although I know it's not as good as the first one, I'm confident it'll be decent at least, and in any case I want to know how the story progresses. I loved the first one, the atmosphere, and so many things you can do to get past something (I usually tried to do as many things as possible for the skill points), and the story.. I hope part 3 will be excellent as well.

Maybe we should start a Deus Ex thread to share stories (if I can remember them well though), if someone hasn't already?

I loved Deus Ex so much... I remember running out on my brother though... then after completing it finding out I was a coward and could of stayed, so started it up again and saved him. Oh memories...

Deus Ex is one of the best games ever made, loved every second of it, and I keep going back.

Deus Ex: IW would have been alright if it was part of a different franchise, but it was a pretty shit sequel. They screwed up the plot, ruined some of the awesome characters and everything just felt wrong! It was more of a corridor shooter, which sucked compared to DX 1's free-roaming environments. Plus there was no real branching plot-lines and consequences from your actions.

I really hope that this new so-called "AAA studio" do the series justice. Mainly by scrapping everything DX: IW did, going back to DX's style and pretending it never happened. Though the teaser trailer gave good vibes, you gotta love the original song.

Deus Ex is the first game that made me feal really guilty about taking the wrong decision

Well, it looks like this installment of Deus Ex isn't using a version of the Unreal engine. It's infact using... the Tomb Raider: Legend engine.

In an exclusive interview with Develop, Eidos Montreal head Stephane D'Astous revealed that the Deus Ex 3 development team will share tech with Crystal Dynamics. Develop reports:

Eidos has big plans for the new installment in its esteemed Deus Ex franchise, and will be using the game engine from another of its next-gen revamps, Lara Croft Tomb Raider, to power the new game.

D'Astous explained: "This is a very important factor for us. In former positions where i worked technology was always a grey zone, a question mark. I'm relieved that here at Eidos we have two great internal engines - one from IO and one from Crystal. We chose the Crystal engine because we plan to help develop this engine more and then share it back with the rest of the company, the other Eidos studios. Having that technology from the start gives us a great advantage and foundation for our coders - there are no doubts about the approach, and we have few uncertainties. We just want to all work together on improving the same technology as we develop our game."

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/15195/Deus-Ex-3-to-Use-Tomb-Raider-Legend-Engine

Hmmm, very interesting. I don't see this as a bad thing tbh (if they do it right.) I await the results of this with huge interest.

You beat me to it! I'm not sure about this... as long as they do it right it's all good.

Well, I think it's a good idea

- The graphics engine is pretty damn good

- It works on a range of systems

- It can render huge environments easily

Anyone remember how Deus Ex: IW turned out with the Unreal Engine 2? We got a corridor shooter, which was crap. Plus Unreal Engine 3 has been getting a lot negative responses lately...

I suppose you're right there. I really hope they take Deus Ex back to the open environments! The first level of Deus Ex was one of the best opening levels for any shooter I've played.

i fucking hate the unreal engine- everything comes out looking smothered in vaseline.

I suppose you're right there. I really hope they take Deus Ex back to the open environments! The first level of Deus Ex was one of the best opening levels for any shooter I've played.

Seconded. It was a brilliant level, and I'm hoping for huge open environments in DX3 too. I thought the New York levels were fantastic as well. I spent hours looking everywhere and doing every mission. The game took me weeks to complete first time through. It's easily my most engrossing gaming experience ever.

i fucking hate the unreal engine- everything comes out looking smothered in vaseline.

I can see where you're coming from there, and it can be annoying. Although Bioshock looks pretty damn good, and I feel it gives UT3 a unique visual style, especially with it's post-processing effects.

UE3 is also bloody expensive, due to UE and UE2 being so damn successful

Exactly. Why spend tons on an engine, when there's other perfectly decent engines at a fraction of the cost?

BUMP!

Here's the latest trailer: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-deus-ex/100909

My verdict? It looks awesome! Okay, so it looks very actiony, but the atmosphere, setting and style scream Deus Ex to me. My god the music is awesome too! I've also read a preview in this months PC Gamer and it sounds like it'll deffinitely live up to the Deus Ex name. I'll post snippets of info in a bit.

That's a very nice trailer, you can tell a lot of money has been invested into the presentation that's for sure.

The only thing I can say for sure is that the art style is fantastic. CGI trailers don't do much for me, however well put together they are.

That said there's some screenshots here, plus a few scans around if you feel like looking. I'm certainly hopeful, and you need only check the date of the first post in this thread to see that it isn't being rushed out.

Doesn't necessarily mean they've been working on it for 3 or 4 years though. Remember Duke Nukem?

I don't either.

True, but there's nothing to suggest they haven't been working on it and the studio was created to put out the likes of DE3 and Thief 4. It's not like they've been sandwiching in downloadable games.

You can question anything, but without reasonable doubt it's not very worthwhile.

Makes me really want to play the first game again and that's a good thing. Shame I have become a bit of a graphics whore. Don't think I can go back.