Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Muhammad Teddy Bear

Dante

Although I, of course, think this is seriously awful, I'm also (but not as) worried by how aggressive some of the replies to this have been.

Frankly, by matching their stupidity with anger towards an entire religion, I don't think you're much better than they are.

I don't think this is a very tollerant forum at all. By that I am no way defending the protesters in Khartoum, I just think the reaction is quite facist too.

How tollerant are people who're intollerant of intollerant people?

Oh and, edit -

People like you, as in Arab, if that's what you are. I think all Arab's must leave their Islamic religion at the door when they come to this country. This is not an Islamic state, and I don't see what business Islam has in a country like this with the state the religion is currently in.

That's a seriously scary, horrible thing to say. In fact, it goes against the secular beliefs this country is meant to hold.

I don't know if I'm stepping over the line here, but I think I can safely call that a facist remark.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please, go to Batford in Harpenden. You're more likely to get mugged by a white guy than a black guy there!

Harpenden! Haha! I grew up there! We made a song in our 7 music class that went, 'Batford Park, Batford Park, don't go there in the dark.':heh:

On the issue of race. Race is a social construct. Science (which I don't understand, so I may be wrong) has proved that there are more differences between individuals in racial groups than between races themselves. Also, you share 99% of your DNA (genome... genetic makeup... something like that) with chimps. Seriously, if there are actually more racial minorities groups causing crimes in this country then the reason must be social. Economic situations perhaps? The creation of gang culture along racial lines?

Just saw the news on ITV, they have thousands marching the streets shouting for her execution. It's fucking terrible, that woman must be scared out her mind. One of the guys said it's it was wrong for her to bring up their children to hate mohammed. I mean, they names a teddy bear after him, they didn't name the bear mohammed then burn it or something did they? So whats the big deal.

These guys are seriously blinded by their religion.

yeah i just seen this on the news also, i mean what did she do, she let the kids name the bear Mohammed, should it then be the kids getting punished since they picked the name? Ok so she was their teacher and may have given them permission to do so, but still it was them who picked the name.

And like Haggis said, how is naming the bear Mohammed teaching them to hate Mohammed? Unless they actually did go and burn the bear or something which i doubt they did. If anything i would see naming something after someone and then taking care of it (which they most likely did) shows love for that person its named after.

Seriously why is there this much hate over this? I don't know much about the Koran but does it really condone this level of hate and violence? Isn't religion meant to give people a guide for how to live good lives and be good people?

These people calling for her death are certainly not good people in my view and I can't see how they could possibly see this as what their god/savior would want unless he was actually evil?

Its quite hard to keep rational when talking about this, its more then normal the reaction the western people have after hearing such things. For how long can the public opinion be restrained before someone goes around killing muslims? Or a more radical leader steps up and starts sending everyone back?

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30200-1295080,00.html

In my opinion It's scary that a religion can still be stuck in the dark ages following stupid rules without any common sense.

What if a kid or even a man is named mohammad and draws a self potrait of himself and signs it off as mohammad. Lashes for all?

If things like this keep happening I can see a lot of hate for this particular religion rising throughout the world.

I get the impression that these rallies were carefully orchestrated.

Thing that annoy m is that we are going to have to turn the other cheek on this one and preach tolerance and respect for other people. While at the same time, these people we are trying to do so for are calling for this fat lady's death.

Here's another thing, apparently the "naming of the bear" happened way back in September, so how come she was suddenly arrested only last week, in Novemeber, 2 months later?

Seriously? o_O

Just a thought, would they have arrested her if she wasn't British? Maybe there's more to this than meets the eye.

The secretary of the school complained to the police as she felt the teacher had insulted her religion or some bullcrap.

Police come in, parents protest, the world is in shock, crazy sudanese call for the poor teachers death.

unbelievable.

Probably because most people didn't care. It was probably just one person complaining about it and then everyone else has jumped on the hate bandwagon.

What I don't understand is that there are shit loads of kids called Muhammed, how is naming your child any different to naming a bloody bear?!

I don't really know the religion that well but I think it's something to do with the fact that calling an object or drawing/impersonating the prophet is deemed disrespectful and should not be done.

But being named after the prophet is seen as an honour.

I don't really know the religion that well but I think it's something to do with the fact that calling an object or drawing/impersonating the prophet is deemed disrespectful and should not be done.

But being named after the prophet is seen as an honour.

That's basically it. That's why you see many blokes who share the same name as the Prophet, because it is seen as a mark of respect.

Thing is, she is an English woman, who has recently moved over to that country, so she's not going to automatically know the ins and outs of their culture. It could have just been an innocent mistake, if you can even call it a mistake. Even then, the kids themselves named the bear, so why aren't the parents talking to them about it?

well that's still retarded, I've decided that in my new religion, Eddism, any thing or anyone named Edd is to be burned, as they are creating an inferior image of the prophet, i.e me...

I think that more or less sums up my thoughts on how stupid some of the islamic law is.

There is blatantly more going on here than we think. Forget sharia law and Islam, her being arrested is most likely because she is a white European. Consider the mental state of the Sundanese government who has stated that any country that deploys troops in Darfur will officially be at war with Sudan. A multi-African UN force is now preparing to enter the area...Much to the dismay of Sudan.

The Sudanese government wants to use that woman as an example to show to the West who rules Sudan. Your typical propaganda cock fight. This issue is more political than religious. As always, religion is used by people to get their way.

As for the law, depicting Mohammed the Prophet has always been banned in islam, but NAMING someone or something is NOT.

Mohammed Ali Hamadei-

A terrorist implicated in taking many people's lives. No outrage over him being called Mohammed and doing such deeds. Teddy bear named Muhammed - woman only slightly involved is requested to be killed.

All religions are absolute nonsense.

There is blatantly more going on here than we think. Forget sharia law and Islam, her being arrested is most likely because she is a white European. Consider the mental state of the Sundanese government who has stated that any country that deploys troops in Darfur will officially be at war with Sudan. A multi-African UN force is now preparing to enter the area...Much to the dismay of Sudan.

The Sudanese government wants to use that woman as an example to show to the West who rules Sudan. Your typical propaganda cock fight. This issue is more political than religious. As always, religion is used by people to get their way.

As for the law, depicting Mohammed the Prophet has always been banned in islam, but NAMING someone or something is NOT.

Hmm now this is more like it im interested by your train of thought here you think its an international move?

Also can you give koran quotes to back yourself up. I dont doubt you I would just be interested to see them.

Mohammed Ali Hamadei-

A terrorist implicated in taking many people's lives. No outrage over him being called Mohammed and doing such deeds. Teddy bear named Muhammed - woman only slightly involved is requested to be killed.

All religions are absolute nonsense.

Have you read any of the Bible or other holy books? To just call religion absolute nonsense is a massive oversimplification and if you had studied them all indepth objectively then maybe I could understand.

Hmm now this is more like it im interested by your train of thought here you think its an international move?

Also can you give koran quotes to back yourself up. I dont doubt you I would just be interested to see them.

Right now, I can only give you this Wiki article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depictions_of_Muhammad But I'll try get some sources tomorrow.

Have you read any of the Bible or other holy books? To just call religion absolute nonsense is a massive oversimplification and if you had studied them all indepth objectively then maybe I could understand.

What is there to understand other than it is a collection of, mostly, stories? You read through so much of it and it's full of things that could not happen, ever. An old man building an arc and putting 2 of every animal in? Just no. I don't for the life of me understand how anyone can believe in a religion when common sense and the fact that most things in there cannot be reproduced, nor are any of the 'supernatural' or magical happenings ever proven.

Religion is a very dangerous thing. Religions are pretty much cults and really are an excellent 'controlling device'. In the past they served their purpose; the king/queen was divine (conveniant for keeping people under control), and really there wasn't any other explanation for the way things were. Ignorance was rife, so too was religion. It just happens that religions were conjured thousands of years ago, instead of the cults invented more recently, and they're more popular. This somehow makes them untouchable and allows people to go absolutely nuts under the name of these cults.

Sorry if this offends anyone. But if people can declare so strongly their beliefs of god (not just in the teddy bear situation in general, but in all wakes of life) then I feel I am equally allowed to declare so storngly how I think it's all bollocks. One big (and perhaps over-optimistic) wish for the future I have is that religion has dwindled massively, as it really does seem to be the root of many arguments. I know people say this is human nature, but I myself go throughout life day in day out in a society where people do not declare war on each other. It would be lovely if that's all people did to each other throughout the world in the future.

What is there to understand other than it is a collection of, mostly, stories? You read through so much of it and it's full of things that could not happen, ever. An old man building an arc and putting 2 of every animal in? Just no. I don't for the life of me understand how anyone can believe in a religion when common sense and the fact that most things in there cannot be reproduced, nor are any of the 'supernatural' or magical happenings ever proven.

Religion is a very dangerous thing. Religions are pretty much cults and really are an excellent 'controlling device'. In the past they served their purpose; the king/queen was divine (conveniant for keeping people under control), and really there wasn't any other explanation for the way things were. Ignorance was rife, so too was religion. It just happens that religions were conjured thousands of years ago, instead of the cults invented more recently, and they're more popular. This somehow makes them untouchable and allows people to go absolutely nuts under the name of these cults.

Sorry if this offends anyone. But if people can declare so strongly their beliefs of god (not just in the teddy bear situation in general, but in all wakes of life) then I feel I am equally allowed to declare so storngly how I think it's all bollocks. One big (and perhaps over-optimistic) wish for the future I have is that religion has dwindled massively, as it really does seem to be the root of many arguments. I know people say this is human nature, but I myself go throughout life day in day out in a society where people do not declare war on each other. It would be lovely if that's all people did to each other throughout the world in the future.

Ok and really dont worry about offending anyone its good to have views and discuss them that the difference between our society and sudan.

Ok to address two points. Christainity at first was a revolutionary cult that was a worry to the political roman order and a complete threat to judaism. In a sense the worst thing that happened to christanity historically is that it got involved in politics something that jesus did not want. The thing is you cant genralise religion as a thing if you want to talk about christanity with me we can talk about it using primary sources looking at it historically etc its a unique theory and should be treated as such.

Ok second point I completley disagree as a history student that religion going away = no war no conflict etc. I think this is one of the big falsehoods of our age and because of 9/11 it will become more popular. Power and Pride are the two big things why wars and conflicts start tommorow when I wake up a bit if you want me to prove this point I pretty much I would say I pretty much can. The thing is when you say religion causes war I will only speak for christainty its not christian teaching that causes war its people aligining themselves with a group mentality to christianity and despising anyone who isnt the same.

This is completley opposite to the viewpoint of christianity. The good samaritan story told 2000 years ago is a completley revolutionary view that for all the human progress in the world since then and secularisation is still as far away being achieved now as it was then.

All im trying to say is look at things more in depth as the outcomes might suprise you.

Ok second point I completley disagree as a history student that religion going away = no war no conflict etc. I think this is one of the big falsehoods of our age and because of 9/11 it will become more popular. Power and Pride are the two big things why wars and conflicts start tommorow when I wake up a bit if you want me to prove this point I pretty much I would say I pretty much can. The thing is when you say religion causes war I will only speak for christainty its not christian teaching that causes war its people aligining themselves with a group mentality to christianity and despising anyone who isnt the same.

This is completley opposite to the viewpoint of christianity. The good samaritan story told 2000 years ago is a completley revolutionary view that for all the human progress in the world since then and secularisation is still as far away being achieved now as it was then.

All im trying to say is look at things more in depth as the outcomes might suprise you.

Unfortunately with such things like the Bible, probably the Koran too...the fact that it cannot be taken too literally means you get people taking home 'their own message' from the texts, which is no doubt what extremists have done. That, and adding their own spin to it. I'm not saying the creator's of religions intended for such views to be held, but at the heart of extremists views is the very thought that they are acting under the name of 'god'.

My point? I just think that atheist extremist bombers would be hard to come by since it really does appear that the only way someone would do something so absolutely mental as explode themselves is if they truly believed this would guarantee them a place in 'paradise'.

But really most of my dislike for religion is just that it's believed even though most of it is nonsenscial, and would you find anything else in life so contrived you'd deem it to be merely a 'story' or a work of fiction. Something to think about. : peace:

ok thanks very much are you a muslim?

I was talking to a sunni muslim girl in my history lecture today was quite interesting she was talking about shiite and sunni historians.

Nope, not at all, I was brought up as a Christian, but I avoid ignorance and read up on things I'm not familiar with.

Btw, great posts by the pair of you, however...

My point? I just think that atheist extremist bombers would be hard to come by since it really does appear that the only way someone would do something so absolutely mental as explode themselves is if they truly believed this would guarantee them a place in 'paradise'.

What about for king and country? Japanese society on a how is not really religious, yet Japanese Kamikaze bombers were all too willing to kill themselves in service of their country during WWII...This is where Haden's point shines through; there would still be war without religion. The mere fact that the human race is divided into so many countries is a form of 'pack' mentality.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!