N-Europe

Quote me this! Quote me that!

Daft

A few quotes from one of my favorite books, Dune:

"The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience." - The Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam to Paul Atreides

"Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic." -

from The Sayings of Muad'Dib by the Princess Irulan

"Any road followed precisely to its end leads precisely nowhere." - from Muad'Dib: Family Commentaries by the Princess Irulan

"What do you despise? By this you are truly known." -

from Manual of Muad'Dib by the Princess Irulan.

None of this Harry Potter bollocks, read Dune, its a real book. Everyone go read it. :wink:

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From my all-time favourite movies: The Matrix Trilogy!

Smith: "Mr. Anderson. Did you get my package?"

Neo: "Yeah."

Smith: "Well, good."

Outside the Matrix

Morpheus: "Smith?"

Link: "Whoever he is, he's not reading like an Agent."

Inside the Matrix

Smith: "Surprised to see me?"

Neo: "No."

Smith: "Then you're aware of it."

Neo: "Of what?"

Smith: "Our connection. I don't fully understand how it happened. Perhaps some part of you imprinted onto me, something overwritten or copied. It is, at this point, irrelevant. What matters is that whatever happened, happened for a reason."

Neo: "And what reason is that?"

Smith: "I killed you, Mr. Anderson, I watched you die. With a certain satisfaction, I might add. And then something happened. Something that I knew was impossible, but it happened anyway: You destroyed me, Mr. Anderson. Afterward, I knew the rules, I understood what I was supposed to do, but I didn't. I couldn't. I was compelled to stay, compelled to disobey. And now here I stand because of you, Mr. Anderson. Because of you, I'm no longer an Agent af this system. Because of you, I've changed, I'm unplugged. A new man, so to speak, like you, apparently free."

Neo: "Congratulations."

Smith: "Thank you. But as you well know, appearances can be deceiving, which brings me back to the reason why we're here: We're not here because we're free. We're here because we're not free. There's no escaping reason, no denying purpose. Because as we both know, without purpose we would not exist."

Smith Clone #1: "It is purpose that created us."

Smith Clone #2: "Purpose that connects us."

Smith Clone #3: "Purpose that pulls us."

Smith Clone #4: "That guides us."

Smith Clone #5: "That drives us."

Smith Clone #6: "It is purpose that defines."

Smith Clone #7: "Purpose that binds us."

Smith: "We're here because of you, Mr. Anderson. We're here to take from you what you tried to take from us - purpose!"

One of the few conversations in the Matrix Trilogy that I've memorized. ;)

Yes! Is that Waiting for Godot in it's orginally French Written form? :) have you seen it in french?

Yeah... well, I haven't got it right here so it ain't a direct quote. Its beside my bed, no joke. Best play I've read this year for sure! I'm glad you know of it and you like it too? I don't think I know anyone else who likes it- its such a pointless play! But yet so good in a Lost in Translation kinda way.

By the way, yeah I've read it a few times and watched it in French too. It was sucky to watch cos it was black and white and really old. Its better in my imagination.

Yeah... well, I haven't got it right here so it ain't a direct quote. Its beside my bed, no joke. Best play I've read this year for sure! I'm glad you know of it and you like it too? I don't think I know anyone else who likes it- its such a pointless play! But yet so good in a Lost in Translation kinda way.

I LOVE IT!

I think it's an excellent play! :D I saw it last week being performed, It's better performed, than just reading it! It is really funny! :laughing:

It is great as you realise after 2 hours you have just watched nothing happen! :grin:

Are you studying it? or do you just enjoy reading plays?

I LOVE IT!

I think it's an excellent play! :D I saw it last week being performed, It's better performed, than just reading it! It is really funny! :laughing:

It is great as you realise after 2 hours you have just watched nothing happen! :grin:

Are you studying it? or do you just enjoy reading plays?

Yeah I did study it briefly earlier this year or I would never have touched it. What made you wanna see it? I probably wouldn't wanna see it unless I knew what it was... and even then alot of people wouldn't like it.

Did alot of people leave at the interval? I read that back in the day people were so fed up with it that the vast majority didn't stay for act two.

Yeah I did study it briefly earlier this year or I would never have touched it. What made you wanna see it? I probably wouldn't wanna see it unless I knew what it was... and even then alot of people wouldn't like it.

Did alot of people leave at the interval? I read that back in the day people were so fed up with it that the vast majority didn't stay for act two.

I'm studying it for english A level! and there was a trip to it last week! :D

No one walked out at the interval but almost everyone in my english class fell asleep as they got bored because nothing was happening.. :)

By the way, yeah I've read it a few times and watched it in French too. It was sucky to watch cos it was black and white and really old. Its better in my imagination.

That sounds boring.. was there any subtitles..?

That sounds boring.. was there any subtitles..?

It was a wee bit boring, but I'd read it already so I knew what to expect. It had a really basic set- there was pretty much only the tree. It was ok though, and chaos ensued when the other two guys appeared. Pity about Didi and Estragon (I think?) cos its like they're stuck to just go there every day and wait for Godot- and he ain't coming. (And no subtitles either, why would they be needed. :wink:)

Anyway, before Daft goes mad here are a few quotes. And I do like this thread, so I owe it a few.

"You're not afraid of the great world, Eddie, but of the small one inside yourself."

Kill if you will, but command me nothing!

Just two from the Dark Tower series, which by the way kiddies is better than Harry Potter and probably Dune too. It even pays "tribute" to Harry too, as King is a fan. Get all seven volumes read post haste!

The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed.

Just two from the Dark Tower series, which by the way kiddies is better than Harry Potter and probably Dune too.

:eek:

:woops:

Ok, now I'm angry!! :heh:

"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over." - Hunter S. Thompson

From my all-time favourite movies: The Matrix Trilogy!

Smith: "Mr. Anderson. Did you get my package?"

Neo: "Yeah."

Smith: "Well, good."

Outside the Matrix

Morpheus: "Smith?"

Link: "Whoever he is, he's not reading like an Agent."

Inside the Matrix

Smith: "Surprised to see me?"

Neo: "No."

Smith: "Then you're aware of it."

Neo: "Of what?"

Smith: "Our connection. I don't fully understand how it happened. Perhaps some part of you imprinted onto me, something overwritten or copied. It is, at this point, irrelevant. What matters is that whatever happened, happened for a reason."

Neo: "And what reason is that?"

Smith: "I killed you, Mr. Anderson, I watched you die. With a certain satisfaction, I might add. And then something happened. Something that I knew was impossible, but it happened anyway: You destroyed me, Mr. Anderson. Afterward, I knew the rules, I understood what I was supposed to do, but I didn't. I couldn't. I was compelled to stay, compelled to disobey. And now here I stand because of you, Mr. Anderson. Because of you, I'm no longer an Agent af this system. Because of you, I've changed, I'm unplugged. A new man, so to speak, like you, apparently free."

Neo: "Congratulations."

Smith: "Thank you. But as you well know, appearances can be deceiving, which brings me back to the reason why we're here: We're not here because we're free. We're here because we're not free. There's no escaping reason, no denying purpose. Because as we both know, without purpose we would not exist."

Smith Clone #1: "It is purpose that created us."

Smith Clone #2: "Purpose that connects us."

Smith Clone #3: "Purpose that pulls us."

Smith Clone #4: "That guides us."

Smith Clone #5: "That drives us."

Smith Clone #6: "It is purpose that defines."

Smith Clone #7: "Purpose that binds us."

Smith: "We're here because of you, Mr. Anderson. We're here to take from you what you tried to take from us - purpose!"

One of the few conversations in the Matrix Trilogy that I've memorized. ;)

That's just lame. Nothing else.

Anyway...

It's not until you lose everything that you are free to do anything.

The things you own, end up owning you.

You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else.

Without pain, without sacrifice, we would have nothing.

I flipped through catalogs and wondered: What kind of dining set defines me as a person?

Reject the basic assumptions of civilization, especially the importance of material possessions.

Anyone worth his respect knows where these are from.

"Threre is no problem so bad that moaning about it won't make it worse"

(not sure who said it)

Mr_Odwin said the same thing earlier in this thread ;)

Coolness, you know of En Attendant Godot? Its a great play- two acts, nothing happens... twice. I love it!

-Quest-ce qu'on fait maintenant?

-On attend Godot.

Heyy, I'm studying it too! I wanted to be the first to tell you that it was teh same play but darn, beaten to it. So you studied it before, eh? What angle did you hook it?

"Would you like some milk?" - "Kel Turk", Scrubs.

"Listen, Newbie. I'm gonna cut you down into so many pieces, that my grandmother, who can finish a 1,000 piece jigsaw puzzle of a clear blue sky in less than three hours, will never be able to put you back together again. Even if she did go back in time to when her vision was perfect." - Dr. Cox, Scrubs.

Heyy, I'm studying it too! I wanted to be the first to tell you that it was teh same play but darn, beaten to it. So you studied it before, eh? What angle did you hook it?

I studied many angles on it. It was tough to get it all crammed in as we did two other books two- all three in the space of six weeks! I like Godot, but no one else really did. I think I read somewhere that Beckett said there was nothing to read into it, but theres plenty. Or maybe we just wanna read into it because its so pointless, like life?

Another Dark Tower quote:

All is forgotten in the stone halls of the dead. These are the rooms of ruin where the spiders spin and the great circuits fall quiet, one by one.

And from It:

I looked into It's deadlights and I wanted to be there.

I studied many angles on it. It was tough to get it all crammed in as we did two other books two- all three in the space of six weeks! I like Godot, but no one else really did. I think I read somewhere that Beckett said there was nothing to read into it, but theres plenty. Or maybe we just wanna read into it because its so pointless, like life?

Beckett doesn't like essaying his own work, and especially doesn't seem to like telling people when they're right or wrong. There are a lot of parallels drawn between Godot and Dante's Inferno; making the whole waiting game an allegory of the limbo of the.. er.. that place where aborted babies go. PURGATORY! thassit. Yeah. Characters unwilling to make any decisions themselves.

But the whole 'nothing happens' thing - I agree mostly! I mean, I don't ever believe that any artist truly invests the whole 'meaning' that is found by critics afterwards, but I do think that they have some sort of idea of what they're doing.

Again, I have no clue at all about Godot :P Aaah!

Oh no, not lame - nerdy! :yay:

Don't drag us all down with you. Those films sucked worse than Jar Jar Binks!! (Not the first one, just the two sequels)

I found a great quote today, believe it or not its from the Metro, anyone who uses the tube in London knows its not known for its quality articles.

"Brutality in the world is often perpetuated by those who often make no effort to discover their own worth or the worth of others."

Daft always seems to have cooler quotes. What? This isn't a competition?

lol! I just carry around a little black note book which I scribble anything I like down like quotes, lyrics, images or ideas. I like anything thats thought provoking or sounds nice....I like linguistics. :heh:

I love this quote from The Modern Prometheus:

"I may die; but first you, my tyrant and tormentor, shall curse the sun that gazes on your misery. Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful." - Frankenstein's Monster

Also some Smiths lyrics I love:

"Last night, I dreamt

somebody loved me.

No hope, no harm,

Just another false alarm."

It isn't a competition but I still want to win! :wink: