Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

The Movie News Thread!

Retro_Link

Speaking of Pixar, Up have been getting glowing reviews with a current 98% rating on Rotten Tomaotes.

I still want to know why the fuck we're having to wait until freakin' October. While I will see it in the cinema I can't imagine it would be my first time as no doubt the American DVD will be out around that time too.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of Pixar, Up have been getting glowing reviews with a current 98% rating on Rotten Tomaotes.

I still want to know why the fuck we're having to wait until freakin' October. While I will see it in the cinema I can't imagine it would be my first time as no doubt the American DVD will be out around that time too.

Right. The "American DVD".

Right. The "American DVD".

Hey. I adore Pixar. I have every one of their films (and Toy Story 1 and 2 twice :heh:).

It will be legit and I will watch it in the cinema as well but I'm freaking annoyed still. Kinda wish I was going to America this summer :p

Hmm its out in France at the end of July, may take a trip.

Hey. I adore Pixar. I have every one of their films (and Toy Story 1 and 2 twice :heh:).

It will be legit and I will watch it in the cinema as well but I'm freaking annoyed still. Kinda wish I was going to America this summer :p

Hmm its out in France at the end of July, may take a trip.

Problem with that is that it will most likely be dubbed in French. =P

Yes, I had thought about seeing it in France as well, haha. If I go to France in July (still need to plan a trip to Disneyland) and find out they show the English version, I'll let you know. =P

Well its at the very end of July (20-odd, I've forgotten already). Was hoping it would be subbed rather than dubbed. But yeah, keep me informed :D

(although does this mean I'm not invited to yours and Flinky's trip to France? :()

Well its at the very end of July (20-odd, I've forgotten already). Was hoping it would be subbed rather than dubbed. But yeah, keep me informed :D

(although does this mean I'm not invited to yours and Flinky's trip to France? :()

Well at the moment it seems my trip to France will be for the end of July (after the N-E meet), if it happens at all. You're allowed to go to France at the same time but I'm not paying for your tickets or hotel. =P

And as far as I'm aware, the French like to dub their films, especially with animations. Though they might play a subbed version in some places of course.

Also just noticed it doesn't come out there until July 29, doubt I would go to France so late. =(

Watched the ending of Toy Story because it was on BBC1, and I almost forgot how awesome it was. Thinking back, I must have watched that film so many times! Thing is I was pretty young when I watched it, so I understood it a bit more than I did initially. OK it's not that deep but you get me.

Reynolds talks Deadpool - He knows!

http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/988/988457p1.html

IGN: It must be interesting in that sense because you've sort of tinkered with these quasi-franchises. A few minutes as Deadpool in Wolverine, for instance. Blade, I think, was a good example of something that could have gone on…

REYNOLDS [laughs] You mean when I was playing Deadpool in Blade?

IGN: And with Deadpool you're playing a character who could reasonably go on to have a hugely successful franchise. Is that intimidating to you, as a performer, being on the doorstep of that – before there's a script, before there's a director, just thinking, "Holy sh*t, this could actually happen"?

REYNOLDS: We're just trying to get it right. There's so many variables to play. It's tough because when you have a character like Deadpool, to the greatest extent of your power, you want to bring as much authenticity to that character as possible. And by "authenticity," I don't mean that you'd want to make him somebody that you'd have a Starbucks coffee with, I mean that you want to make him as close to the comics as possible. And there's nothing that I wouldn't do to make sure that ends up on film, but sometimes things are out of your control, things that you can't change. But I'm really happy, in these early talks, that the studio is as obsessed with making it as close to the comic book source material as possible. And that's all I really needed to hear. Cuz I will husk-f*@k a herd of cattle to bring Wade Wilson to life as the real deal.

IGN: It may be entirely too early to ask this question…Deadpool isn't necessarily a villain in the opening moments of Wolverine, but he's certainly a villain by the end of the movie. Will there be any real effort to make it fit within the continuity of Wolverine? Or will you just allow it to be its own thing?

REYNOLDS: Without saying too much, I can't imagine that there's gonna be any tie-in to the Wolverine movie at all.

IGN: One would think, given that you're buried under rubble and headless.

REYNOLDS: Exactly. There's that little teaser at the end, but for the most part, I can't imagine that they'd tie it in with the film too closely.

IGN: And you've said previously, the Deadpool we glimpse in Wolverine isn't necessarily the character you'd want to play. You've spoken about doing the more self-aware –

REYNOLDS: Absolutely! That's the reason to do it…There's nothing else like that in movies, or comic books, for that matter. I would like to make him self-aware; I'd like to have a bit of a pop-culture air going on throughout the film. I mean, the greatest villain in a Deadpool comic is Deadpool. There's a lot you can do there, but you've gotta ask, "Who's the boss? Who's the guy he's going up against?" But it's breaking the fourth wall; it's including all those things in a way that works, but it's not nearly as hard as it sounds. It can really be done. And people tend to overlook the greatest resource we have, which is the comic book. If it can be done in the comic, it can be done on film in a way that's just as much fun to watch for people who know nothing about the character than for people who are obsessed with the character.

IGN: It's interesting, in this job, to talk to people about a project that is still, in some way, sort of a whisper. You're not shooting; there's nobody attached; there's no script. Barely even a concept. And I'd imagine that so much of this is living simply in your head for the moment, how do you protect it? How do you ensure to yourself and the audience that the movie you want to make is the movie you will?

REYNOLDS: The biggest question is finding a filmmaker. Film is a director's medium, not an actor's medium. I have a voice, but there are louder voices in the room than mine. One is the studio and one is the director. And I respect that. The studio is paying a lot of money. It's very easy to discount the studio's opinion, but ultimately, they're paying for it. It's hard to not just tell everybody everything about it because you just get so excited. There's so much to do with a movie like this, so much you can do, and I'm just trying to figure out a way to structure all of those things around kicking Captain America in the nuts.

IGN: Part of it is just getting you to the place where you have the power to just say, "Well, if we don't do it this way, I'm out."

REYNOLDS: Yeah, if only! I've never been that guy. I'm not a diva. I've always been a really collaborative person. And I love film for that reason. A movie is only as good as the sum of its parts. I'm only as good as the grip. You gotta have everybody firing on all cylinders. I'd love to have a working script that the crew reads and is absolutely stoked to make.

IGN: Not to belabor the point, but Deadpool is really the character where, if you're casting Deadpool, you're a smart choice for that. It works with much of what you've done already – the comedy, the drama.

REYNOLDS: Yeah, all those things. And I have ideas for it that I think are right in tune with the tone of that character. I'm dying to see them on film. Literally, dying. So many of the outlets that follow this character are curious what the elements will be, afraid that you won't be disfigured, that you won't wear the mask, and I laugh because there's no way to do this without having the scarring, having the mask, having it all. And it can be done. It's a no-brainer in that sense. You gotta have the character of Deadpool. You don't want to just invent something new and call it Deadpool.

IGN: Is it intimidating when you're going into a movie like Deadpool to think how much training you'll have to do?

REYNOLDS: That part's freaking me out. I also realize that it's not really a typical movie, a three-month commitment. It's a year commitment. It's a year of training. I've always kept up with the swords from Wolverine just because I loved it. It always freaks people out when they're at the house and they see the swords lying around.

IGN: Especially when you pick one up and say, "Let's try something."

REYNOLDS: "Let's go for this! I'm gonna perform some amateur circumcision!" That part I love. I love training for a movie. I'm a tall guy, so it's a little harder to do the gymnastics stuff, but I did a lot when I was younger, so I'd like to work solely on that.

IGN: When you do a movie like The Proposal, with romantic comedies, typically you'll do one and then maybe, if you're lucky, it'll do well enough to warrant a sequel. So you go into it thinking, "Okay, at most, this is a two film commitment." Something like Deadpool, that could be three films, maybe eight or ten years.

REYNOLDS: Best case scenario! That's a high-class problem you've just described there.

IGN: "Oh, my god, I've got to play this incredible character for eight years of gainful employment."

REYNOLDS: Yeah, it's not like I've got flies landing on my eyeballs, right? It's a high-class problem, and it's a character I love. There's so much to do with a character like that. So three films, to me, seems almost appropriate.

IGN: Lastly…Your message to fans who are concerned about Deadpool, those who only got a glimpse of you –

REYNOLDS: And I wasn't even the Deadpool that they knew.

IGN: Exactly…What would be your message to them to assuage their fears about the upcoming movie?

REYNOLDS: If they can imagine if one of them were given the opportunity to do a Deadpool movie, just imagine that's what's happening. Just to have faith in that. And to have faith in the studio. It's hard for fans to do that, but I feel like they really want to do an authentic Deadpool movie….He's like Jason Bourne meets Phantom of the Opera by way of Caddyshack. And that, right there, is a wholly originally character, and that's what excites the dark overlords who fund this film. And me.

Edited by Retro_Link

I have doubts about Avengers. It seems like it will inevitably be a rush job to get all these films done, and then I just feel the final result will be rubbish. Iron Man was good, and I'm sure the second one will be too...but...I get bad vibes from all this planning ahead.

It seems like it will inevitably be a rush job to get all these films done

I get bad vibes from all this planning ahead.

Contradiction much? Dude you totally shouldn't be worried. They already delayed three of the films, and its all being viewed over by Marvel Studios, they literally have their fingers in all the pies, and hopefully/probably Favreau will be doing The Avengers.

Its going to be the most impressive (superhero/action) film of all time. I genuinely genuinely believe that.

Contradiction much?

Not really. They seemed to come out with a flurry of films and release dates after X2/3 was released, and it worried me. It seemed to be pulled out of a hat so to speak.

I mean, who actually believes the Ant-Man movie is going to happen?! Jesus christ.

Avengers I suppose isn't AS worrying anymore, since it's already been set in motion with Iron Man 1/Incredible Hulk (which I haven't seen yet, but I hate Hulk anyway).

Dan I agree that if they Ultimise it, it'll be great, but apart from Nick Fury being black, there's a lack of ultimising so far in the marvel films. Raimi criminally didn't use the Ultimate Venom origin, to the entire film's detriment.

THat's not to say they won't use it in Avengers. I want a decently rounded out team though. Scarlet Witch/Quicksilver, Black Widow (esp if she's in Iton Man, but seems she'll be a villain/rouge), Wasp, Hawkeye...

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!