NEurope
Retro_Link

The Movie News Thread!

Imo, he's got an enviable track record. If a director who creates films like Batman (1989), Edward Scissorhands (1990), Batman Returns (1992), Mars Attacks (1996), Sleepy Hollow (1999) and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005) and produces the Nightmare Before Christmas (1993) is considered a creator of bad films, then there isn't really much hope for you. :heh:

He probably is a tad over-rated, especially within recent years. The fans are pretty horrific. But, bad is a very extreme word to use.

I wouldn't call myself a huge Tim Burton fan, but I think the films I have listed are well worth seeing. I'm particularly a big fan of Batman Returns. Keaton > Bale.

I'm not exactly his biggest fan either, but as you say, he's made some classic films, including the Nightmare Before Christmas. His recent work hasn't been too good, but it's unfair to say he makes bad films when you consider just how much he has done.

He probably is a tad over-rated, especially within recent years. The fans are pretty horrific. But, bad is a very extreme word to use.

True. His film are both very likeable and very unlikeable. And Mars Attacks is the only one of his that I've liked (I thought Coraline was the best Burton film by far, but then I found out that he had nothing to do with it).

Why do I hate Burton?

Mainly;

He makes bad films?

is completely over-rated.

and

Dear lord...the fangirls.

So yeah. Also he completely bastardised an all time classic film by shitting all over it...which I find highly offensive.

I'm not his biggest fan, and things like Nightmare Before Christmas are overrated/overexposed, and tbh, I think his best work is behind him, but I love the sense of theatricality he has.

There's a real style to Batman and Batman Returns which is brilliant (the latter being one of my all-time favourite films). NBXmas is great, but I'm so much a fan of Corpse Bride, which felt like an undrwhelming return to stop-motion. (though still technically good)

Oh yeah, I sort of liked Sweeney Todd too.

He's far from shit though.

So yeah. Also he completely bastardised an all time classic film by shitting all over it...which I find highly offensive.

Are you referring to Alice In Wonderland???!

Oh wait. You mean Charlie. Never seen the old one. Sorry, was about to RAPE you, had you meant Alice. But you don't.

Why would you rape him exactly? Because the film isn't out so no valid opinion can be held about it and as far as I can tell you were offended when you thought he didn't like it...

Report on Astro Boy ComicCon panel

It could end up being alright. I'll see it anywho for obvious reasons. And now it has Samuel L Jackson in it, has the man ever done wrong? :heh:

Edited by Ashley

Because Alice In Wonderland (the animated Disney version) is a bastardisation itself of the books.

But alas, he (I assume) wasn't referring to it.

I'm not exactly his biggest fan either, but as you say, he's made some classic films, including the Nightmare Before Christmas. His recent work hasn't been too good, but it's unfair to say he makes bad films when you consider just how much he has done.
He didn't make Nightmare Before Christmas. He mearly made a short poem with 3 or 4 of the characters that were in the final film, and produced it. Henry Sellick directed it, and I can't remember the name of the woman who wrote it.

Posters

2ztbkea.jpg

a-nightmare-on-elm-street-20090722022758177.jpg

Jonah%20Hex%20movie%20poster%20comic-con%202009%20Josh%20Brolin%20and%20Megan%20Fox%20(2).jpg

sawgamecircle.jpg

Tron Legacy Bike.

3750940753_db515032c6_b.jpg

Edited by Dante
Automerged Doublepost

I like the Saw VI poster.

Didn't even know a Jonah Hex film was being made, and Josh Brolin is a good actor. Megan Fox might be allowed to act!

Batman Three News

Gary Oldman just announced at the Warner Bros. Book of Eli panel that a third Batman film will go into production next year.

"I think the next Batman is next year," he told a fan who asked about when the long-awaited "Dark Knight" follow-up would hit, "We start shooting next year. You didn't hear that from me."

Edited by Dante
Automerged Doublepost

TRON LEGACY

OH WHAT A BEAUTIFUL DAY!!!!! :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:

Ive post one of the Daft Punk Tron songs in the music topic that was playing in the Tron Legacy area.

While on that topic, more self-referential horror posters!

cabin-in-the-woods-poster-1.jpgcabin-in-the-woods-poster-3.jpg

comic-con-2009-daily-diary-05-190-75.jpg

Some Tron Legacy info:

Comic-Con 09: Tron Legacy uses new Avatar 3D camera

Tron Legacy director Joe Kosinski reveals he's shot the cyberspace sequel using James Cameron's very own groundbreaking 3D camera system. Only he's made it better.

"We used a brand new generation of the Pace/Cameron system developed by Vince Pace and James Cameron," says Kosinski. "I think we’re the first film to use full 35mm sensor cameras in a 3D rig."

Um, what does that mean? "It gives a stunning image," explains Kosinski. "And in 3D, it’s even more spectacular. The line between what’s real and what’s not is blurred so you can’t tell the difference."

Set in 2010 and recasting Jeff Bridges as Kevin Flynn ("It's Apocalypse Now and I'm like Kurtz," quipped Bridges), the Tron universe has been disconnected from the outside world for 25 years.

"But the simulation has gotten more perfect, so the scale, the realism, the physics and the visceral quality of it is all bigger," says Kosinski. "The world of Tron has evolved..."

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/comic-con-09-tron-legacy-uses-new-avatar-3d-camera

Edited by Daft

The quotes are from this interview, which is a good read.

http://www.moviesonline.ca/movienews_17128.html

It looks like the film is solid for both 2D and 3D. It sounds like they put a load of effort into the 3D though and with Avatar coming out by the end of the year I suspect by the time Legacy comes out 3D will be a lot more embraced. Can't wait!

Alien Prequel Confirmed

http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/100/1009507p1.html

Ridley Scott onboard to direct.

After months of speculation, Variety is reporting that the Alien prequel is definitely on, with original Alien helmer Ridley Scott set to direct.

Twentieth Century Fox has also hired Jon Spaihts to write the script, which will precede the first Alien. Annoyingly the report doesn't go into any more detail about the plot.

Spaihts has also worked on the upcoming sci-fi flick Shadow 19 starring Keanu Reeves, and will rewrite Timur Bekmambetov's The Darkest Hour.

It is the first Alien movie Ridley Scott has been directly involved in since the original, with Carl Rinsch previously linked to direct the project.

While on that topic, more self-referential horror posters!

cabin-in-the-woods-poster-1.jpgcabin-in-the-woods-poster-3.jpg

I love these!

Rez just jizzed in his pants. xDDD

That looks absolutely terrible.

Alien Prequel Confirmed

Scott!?

Still...hurrrm...really? hurrrm!

That looks absolutely terrible.

I didnt think it looked terrible but I dont really like it. I like both Iron Man and anime but they didnt need to mix the two at all

The problem is that they've taken nothing from Iron Man going from that trailer. There's a way Iron Man should 'feel' and they've captured none of it, merely borrowing the suit design for a generic 'kung fu mech' anime. By comparison, the movie totally nailed the feel of the character.