NEurope
Retro_Link

The Movie News Thread!

Problem is... it's impossible to pronounce it 'skones' and not hear yourself sounding like a knob!

Haha, have you heard "Skons"? It doesn't sound right. It's almost like hearing half a sentence. It sounds ok, but you're waiting for it to finish, or for something else to come. Skones just sounds more complete.

Of course it sounds too quick, after all...

What's the fastest cake in the world....... scone!!

I suppose, but if you're raised being told it's Skonz, it makes Skones sound overly long and awkward. Like someone imitating a posh person saying Skonz. Skonz kinda fits in with how one pronounces buns as well.

Unless you have a weird yorkshire/scottish accent making it BOONS and SKOONS.

:nono: I've put up with ReZ for a day, don't you start :p

I knew that was coming. :heh:

It just doesn't sound like a nice name for the delicacy which are scones. A "Skon" sounds like some kind of blister or infection that you get at the bottom of your foot.

"bluddy hells...I've got skons at the bottom of me foot." :(

:nono: I've put up with ReZ for a day, don't you start :p

I liked the bit when I was awesome. (all day)

I liked the bit when I was awesome. (all day)

When was this? I must have missed it...::shrug: :p

David Tennant to star as Bilbo Baggins in The Hobbit?

The 38-year-old is tipped to play Bilbo Baggins in the big screen adaptation of JRR Tolkien's book.

The Scottish star leads a list of stars, including James McAvoy and Daniel Radcliffe, vying to play the title role of Bilbo Baggins in "The Hobbit." The film – which may be split in two – is based on Tolkien's children's book prequel to The Lord Of The Rings hit series.

Tennant is due to make his debut appearance at the world's biggest science-fiction and fantasy convention Comic-Con in the US next week.

And Rings director Peter Jackson is also expected to announce his choice for the role when he attends.

Geoff Boucher of the Los Angeles Times, said yesterday: "David Tennant just happens to be making his very first trip to the San Diego expo to promote "Doctor Who," a television series that he will soon be leaving behind. "Peter Jackson, the producer of the two-film "Hobbit" series that begins its theatre run in 2011, is also slated to appear this year, and, well you can see the dot-connecting possibilities. ...

"I think Tennant would be exceptional in the role."

In the Lord of the Rings Trilogy Bilbo Baggins was played by the veteran actor Sir Ian Holm. But in The Hobbit he is a sprightly 50 years old – although hobbits live to be well over 150 years old.

Tennant is currently filming St. Trinian's, The Legend of Fritton's Gold, and will be last seen as the tenth Timelord in a Christmas special.

Several members of the original cast are returning, including Sir Ian McKellen as Gandalf.

And Christopher Lee – who played Saruman – has announced he would like to come back, too.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/film-news/5849482/Doctor-Whos-David-Tennant-tipped-to-play-Bilbo-Baggins-in-The-Hobbit.html

That could work!

I actually missed that image of Johansosososan on the last page, and it's intriguing. Considering I'm a supporter of ginger girls with curly hair as sexy, I think it's...too much. It looks too fake. It reminds me more of Poison Ivy. I think straighter hair might have been more appropriate for the slick super spy. But I'm drawing conclusions too early on.

Perhaps they were trying to distance her from being too cliché? As you said, most slick super spies have straight hair, I suppose they're trying to make her look a bit more distinguishable, perhaps even iconic?

So, it's 2009, and we're onto the sixth Saw film. The first film was released in 2004. Talk about churning them out. :heh:

I've seen the first 2, and part of 4, but I still find it a bit insane how far they're taking this. Some films take years to make, whereas this seems to take minutes. :heh:

The director did say the franchise could quite easily go up to 666.

^ Hmm... not for me thanks.

In other news...

http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/100/1006132p1.html

Transformers 3 Exclusive

We discuss the future of the franchise with producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura.

IGN: So based on the box office returns, are you guys already talking about Transformers 3?

Lorenzo di Bonaventura: We've started talking about it now. We're debating the right time for it.

IGN: Did the harsh critical reception for Transformers 2 surprise you?

LDB: The first one took a pretty big drubbing too - that's what people forget. There's something about [director] Michael [bay] that the critics just want to have at him. I think in a funny way it worked for the movie. I think people are fed up with critics. I think in a way it's making people contrarian. I think it was in this case, because a lot of people came up to us and said f**k the critics. I don't normally get that - you don't normally get people coming up to you and talking about the reviews - they normally just want to talk about the movie. But that was a point for a lot of those fans. It was fascinating - there's a major disconnect going on between the fans and the audience.

IGN: How do you feel about the criticism levelled against Skids and Mudflap being racist stereotypes?

LDB: Everybody has to put their own lens on these things. The intention was certainly not how some people perceived it... I'll put it that way. We didn't think of it that way, and we certainly didn't set out to offend anybody. I've been involved in a lot of movies that people have seen things in them that we didn't intend.

I did a movie called Executive Decision a long time ago, and we were picketed by the Arab Americans and American Muslims saying we portrayed Islam incorrectly. And we were sort of like 'Well we don't see a lot of African-Americans or White people or Chinese people taking over airplanes in the sky', but we got into that conversation, and then you start to see their point. But they have a prism that they are looking at it through.

IGN: There's been talk of Michael Bay not returning for Transformers 3, so would you be prepared to make one of these movies without him?

LDB: As the producer I'd certainly love to see him back. I can't imagine Transformers without him. I guess the studio will see it sometime as such a big asset that they are forced to do it, but Michael has never intimated anything like that - the timing is the big question for him, not whether he is going to do it or not.

IGN: We did a poll on IGN asking the audience which Transformers they'd most like to see in part three, and the big winner was Unicron, so what are the chances of his making it into the next film?

LDB: Unicron worries me because it's so big that it dwarves emotion. It's so hard, because when you're working to that scale, it sort of becomes outside any kind of human reality you have. It's obviously a great character, and one that we're definitely going to talk about, but for me personally - and I'm not the only vote here - that one scares me. Because of its size, it becomes sort of impersonal when it gets to that scale.

I remember seeing the second Fantastic Four and Galactcus, and suddenly I was in another world and it took it away from the human characters. One of the tricky parts about Transformers is you've got these five-to-six foot things called humans, then you've got the 32-foot Transformers, then you come to Devastator and you've got 125-feet. You become increasingly small on a physical level, and I think that's true on a story level. I think if you go to Unicron, you're going to end up sacrificing your human characters. And for me that worries me because I like the human characters.

IGN: Is he not the kind of character IMAX was designed for?

LDB: Well Devastator covered it from foot to top so I don't know what the hell else you'd do to tell you the truth. Don't get me wrong - Unicron is an obvious and great character, I just worry about it from the experience of the movie.

IGN: Are there any Transformers you'd like to see that?

LDB: I love the Mini-Cons actually - I think they're very cool. I love the lore - every time we approach one of these movies, we go back and read everything we can about it - that's how we came across the Fallen. I thought that was such an interesting idea - that there's sort of a Judas within the mythology. For me, I like the surprise of that. Each time I sit down to give my vote, I like to re-read it and discover what I think. But I think the Mini-Cons are really cool.

Edited by Retro_Link

that alice in wonderland trailer looks nice... hopefully its a lot more messed up than that though

i love tim burton

Looks fine. Though I'm more interested in Carter and Hathaway's characters than Depp's.

ReZ, why do you hate Tim Burton again?

ReZ, why do you hate Tim Burton again?

He makes bad films? (well..Mars Attacks was pretty good).

And is completely over-rated. The films are okay but you have the fangirls. Dear lord...the fangirls.

He makes bad films? (well..Mars Attacks was pretty good).

Imo, he's got an enviable track record. If a director who creates films like Batman (1989), Edward Scissorhands (1990), Batman Returns (1992), Mars Attacks (1996), Sleepy Hollow (1999) and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005) and produces the Nightmare Before Christmas (1993) is considered a creator of bad films, then there isn't really much hope for you. :heh:

He probably is a tad over-rated, especially within recent years. The fans are pretty horrific. But, bad is a very extreme word to use.

I wouldn't call myself a huge Tim Burton fan, but I think the films I have listed are well worth seeing. I'm particularly a big fan of Batman Returns. Keaton > Bale.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

Depends on your taste in films... I personally don't really like any of the above... so guess I don't like Burton films!