NEurope
Retro_Link

The Movie News Thread!

How Can Bryan Singer's BSG Movie Compensate For Leaving Out Six?

thumb160x_dcc73488e260a384a310311e54e42d2f.jpg

Coasting on the excitement from the Star Trek reboot and Ronald D. Moore's series, the rumored Battlestar Galactica movie may get greenlit by Universal... with Bryan Singer directing. But is it possible to have two well-made reboots so close together?

Hitfix is reporting that the rumored BSG movie is getting the go-ahead — and Singer, who tried to reboot the TV series back in 2001 with producer Tom DeSanto — is rumored to direct. According to DeSanto, the Sept. 11 attacks gave Universal cold feet about going forward with the dark Singer/DeSanto reboot, but now they may be getting a second crack at the property.

But here's the kicker, what do you do when a dark BSG reboot has already been executed by another creator, garnering love from critics and loyal fanbase, but never "successful" in terms of viewership. Do you take ideas created by RDM and company to appease fans, or go back to the original source material and start over?

Hitfix seems to believe it's still all up in the air saying:

Right now, my sources indicate that the big decisions haven't been made yet. Singer is the first major creative element to be approached, so once they sign him, they'll go find a writer and they'll figure out exactly which story they're telling. It seems like he'd want to get back to the ideas he originally loved about the piece, but since that was developed with another studio, I'm not sure that would work.

AICN reports that the Singer screenplay (pre-RDM) was about "genocidal Cylons [that] were secretly taking their marching orders from humans." (You can read our detailed description of the screenplay, from last year's Comic Con, here.)

The real question seems to be: would you be interested in a BSG without Six and her red dress? Are you prepared to accept Cylons that can only look like killer robots?

http://io9.com/5336408/how-can-bryan-singers-bsg-movie-compensate-for-leaving-out-six

They weren't lying when they said all this has happened before, and it will all happen again.

This does not get my approval.

I'd forgotten they were doing that.

And to answer his question, no. I would not be interested in BSG without Tricia Helfer in a red dress.

LEGO: The Movie

Taking a nod out of Universal's playbook in terms of upcoming Hasbro toy movies (Candyland, Monopoly, Battleship, Ouija), Warner Bros. Pictures is developing a movie around LEGO and its popular building blocks. Scribes Dan and Kevin Hageman are penning the script for the family comedy that will mix live action and animation.

While the studio is keeping the plot tightly under wraps, it's described as an action adventure set in a Lego world.

Dan Lin, who is shepherding Warner Bros.' Sherlock Holmes and exec produced Robert Rodriguez's Shorts, will produce the movie through his Lin Pictures, which is also behind a "Tom and Jerry" film that will put the feuding animated characters in a live-action setting. The shingle's Stephen Gilchrist serves as co-producer.

Roy Lee will produce through his Vertigo banner, while Jill Wilfert, VP of licensing and entertainment at Lego, will oversee the pic for the toymaker.

Directors and producers in town have attempted to make a Lego movie for years, approaching the Danish toymaker with various ideas, but Lego turned down most of them because it's highly protective of its brand.

To date, Lego has made only a series of direct-to-DVD animated movies based on its Bionicle line.

Source

The animation will probably be CGI instead of stop-motion with the real blocks. :mad:

She would make an awesome replacement for Christian Bale.

I hope she takes over as John Connor as well.

Batgirl is not going to be in it, let alone played by Miley Cyrus.

She would make an awesome replacement for Christian Bale.

a rusty gate would be a good replacement for bale to be fair.

Batgirl is not going to be in it, let alone played by Miley Cyrus.

I believe i read something chris nolan said once... as long as he was directing batman there was be no robin,batgirl or penguin...

Yeah, it'll be silly to have a kid sidekick in the more realistic universe Nolan has created.

I believe i read something chris nolan said once... as long as he was directing batman there was be no robin,batgirl or penguin...

He hasn't signed on for the 3rd yet.

Okay... I just saw clips for District 9 which looks awesome. And I got super excited when I saw it was out in cinemas... TODAY!

But then found out the UK gets it on Sep. 4.

Lame.

Okay... I just saw clips for District 9 which looks awesome. And I got super excited when I saw it was out in cinemas... TODAY!

But then found out the UK gets it on Sep. 4.

Lame.

Same, same, same. (Earlier)

I checked on Wiki and it said today for an international release. Since when was the UK lumped in with France and Germany...

...oh, the EU you say? Er... oh.

The fuck is it out here? I've heard its amazing so my excitement has been shifted into UBER considering 1 week ago I hadn't even heard of it.

Correctamundo!

If you squint real hard it become REAL 3D.

is that man CGI?

I think its all filmed normally and then 3D-CGI put over the top....

But whilst filming?

*Shrugs*

Its really complicated though.

Not at all, I just wanted you to know how hard it was

*Actually squinted*

Thats how awesome I am.

I thought you would. :heh: