NEurope
Stocka

Majora's Mask

First played this back when it came out, and didn't enjoy it much back then. Playing it on the VC and I just need to make my way in to the last dungeon, and to be honest, I'm not enjoying it. :(

In MM you should do all of the side quests, that's where the game's beauty is! Playing MM in strait line, from dungeon 1 to 4 without doing side-quests will make you miss almost everything.

Just finished this. Truly, a fantastic game and easily made its way into my Zelda Top 3.

So, what made this game so great?

For starters, the similarities to OoT in game physics are uncanny. OoT still plays like a dream, and MM plays just like OoT, which is good.

Then, there's the whole 3-day system, which really brings side-quests to life. The NPCs are more fleshed out than ever, and most of them exist for a reason, which gives fantastic immersion to the entire game.

As for the adventuring itself, it was a breath of fresh air to not see dungeons rely on a single item for a theme. The puzzles were clever, and the bosses were awesome, because (once again) the dungeon's item wasn't enough to bring them down.

The between-dungeons stuff was great, as well. Even the adventuring-related sidequests were good. Speaking of which, the dungeon fairies were great additions, and a similar side-quest should appear in future Zelda games (although that "Double defense" bonus made the game incredibly easier)

And the transformations were an entire league of their own. Playing like a Deku? Fun. Swimming like a Zora? Fantastic. Rolling at high speeds like a Goron? Awesome.

All the forms were great to play as (although the Zora Boomerang was a bit awkward to use)

Truly a great Zelda that I finally had the chance to play, and I loved it. All I have to do now is find the last Heart pieces and the last mask.

Glad you enjoyed it, Jonnas! I agree with your comments about the game. To me, it's about using each 3-day cycle to complete a bit more of the overall jigsaw.

Are the other two games in your Top 3 Ocarina and Wind Waker? That's my Top 3, personally.

Are the other two games in your Top 3 Ocarina and Wind Waker? That's my Top 3, personally.

Yup (which reminds me that I have to replay OoT)

By the way, how am I supposed to convince the Deku Salesmen to leave their spots at the Goron Village, Lulu's dressing room and Sakon's Hideout? They don't seem to want anything like the other 2.

By the way, how am I supposed to convince the Deku Salesmen to leave their spots at the Goron Village, Lulu's dressing room and Sakon's Hideout? They don't seem to want anything like the other 2.

Give the moon tear to the deku in the village to obtain the piece of paper (can't bother to find a translation) again and give it to the Deku in the swamp. Give the swamp paper to the "goron Deku" to obtain his paper. Give this one to the Zora Deku. I think you can guess the last step. :wink:

I'm going through it now, up to Jabu Jabu. Such a great game, still after all these years :)

I want to finish it before I start Majora's Mask and I feel privilaged to have only completed 100%, once, nearly 10 years ago, after its original release. I haven't touched it since then and I can't wait to play through, in my opinion, the greatest videogame ever made for the second time.

Give the moon tear to the deku in the village to obtain the piece of paper (can't bother to find a translation) again and give it to the Deku in the swamp. Give the swamp paper to the "goron Deku" to obtain his paper. Give this one to the Zora Deku. I think you can guess the last step. :wink:

Ah, I got it now, thanks :)

That was the first thing I tried, actually. I just thought it didn't work because I didn't talk to them in the correct form.

Now, off to grab those heart pieces in the Zora and Goron levels on the moon.

And then, I have no clue where to find the remaining 8 Pieces :heh: Gotta look around, me thinks.

I started replaying this last week. Got Epona and did the whole Romani thing and done alot of side quests, just about to go to Great Bay now and get the Zora mask.

Damn I love this game.

I completed Wind Waker for the first time yesterday (better late than never I suppose) - it was a great game but something about it was lacking in comparison to MM, OoT and even Twilight to a certain extent - I think the lack of main dungeons, standard "sail your boat from A to B and back again" side quests and the lazy game design methods of making you find every single triforce chart/triforce shard//not leave your boat for 3 weeks/amass bugger loads of rupees in order to do so and fight every single boss again in Ganon's Tower really made it less special than what it should have been I feel.

My friend was saying it's because I didn't really give the sidequests much of a chance but I did do an awful lot of them - it just got a bit boring after a while. Perhaps I'm missing something? In MM at least, the sidequests were all story-oriented (in the sense that they had their own mini storylines and the storylines themselves had a fair amount of depth) and it just makes it so much more appealing. I couldn't care less on the other hand about finding every single last bloody bit of treasure in the Great Sea, whereby I have to play the Ballad of Gales and the Wind's Requiem a million times over!

I'm just playing through Master Quest for the first time (not done it before and by golly is it weird, not sure to what think of it thus far) and will then follow up with MM afterwards, for it is my favourite Zelda game without question!

I completed Wind Waker for the first time yesterday (better late than never I suppose) - it was a great game but something about it was lacking in comparison to MM, OoT and even Twilight to a certain extent - I think the lack of main dungeons, standard "sail your boat from A to B and back again" side quests and the lazy game design methods of making you find every single triforce chart/triforce shard//not leave your boat for 3 weeks/amass bugger loads of rupees in order to do so and fight every single boss again in Ganon's Tower really made it less special than what it should have been I feel.

My friend was saying it's because I didn't really give the sidequests much of a chance but I did do an awful lot of them - it just got a bit boring after a while. Perhaps I'm missing something? In MM at least, the sidequests were all story-oriented (in the sense that they had their own mini storylines and the storylines themselves had a fair amount of depth) and it just makes it so much more appealing. I couldn't care less on the other hand about finding every single last bloody bit of treasure in the Great Sea, whereby I have to play the Ballad of Gales and the Wind's Requiem a million times over!

Yeah, WW's sidequests revolve a lot on exploring the sea. I can see why some people dislike exploration as opposed to story interaction.

When the triforce quest arises, I usually go on a "world tour", considering I already have every item needed to explore those islands. The key to not getting frustrated is to forget Ganondorf for a while, I guess. :heh:

Now, off to grab those heart pieces in the Zora and Goron levels on the moon.

That gave me a load of trouble back on the N64, the Goron bit. I thought you had to actually push the analogue stick in the right direction when you're rolling (ie. very quick direction changes), but actually, all you have to do is keep pushing forward!

My friend was saying it's because I didn't really give the sidequests much of a chance but I did do an awful lot of them - it just got a bit boring after a while. Perhaps I'm missing something?

No, I find Wind Waker far more fun to rush through, then do the sidequests afterwards, almost like they're a separate game. If it didn't grab you, it probably won't (I was enthralled from start to finish). Just one of those "different strokes for different folks" things.

I'm just playing through Master Quest for the first time (not done it before and by golly is it weird, not sure to what think of it thus far) and will then follow up with MM afterwards, for it is my favourite Zelda game without question!

I didn't think it was very good. The dungeons were just arranged into lesser designs rather than the whole game being "Ocarina of Time Extra".

That gave me a load of trouble back on the N64, the Goron bit. I thought you had to actually push the analogue stick in the right direction when you're rolling (ie. very quick direction changes), but actually, all you have to do is keep pushing forward!

To get to the kid, yes. But to get the Heart Piece, it's a bit trickier. Managed to do it after a few tries.

Same... I remember trying to pull turns off for absolutely ages and found it next to impossible. Then I found out that all you had to do was push forwards...

I think I'd have to agree with Pooki on WW, I did feel it was lacking something compared to OoT and MM, though tbh the least zeldary of the games for me may well be Twilight so it's not as bad as it could be :heh:

I remember that goron thing in MM! Man, I think I had to go and look it up online just how to do it, cos I was forever trying the steering thing too! Goron rolling is probably one of my favourite things from MM :D! I might actually, actually, replay through this game again soon. Since I originally completed it on N64, I'm sure I've tried to replay it about 2 or 3 times, and I always fall off whilst doing side quests between the Goron.Snowhead Dungeon and the Water/Zora Dungeon, don't remember its proper name. Maybe I'll see in how many days I can 100% it!

though tbh the least zeldary of the games for me may well be Twilight so it's not as bad as it could be :heh:

Are you saying Twilight Princess is the worst Zelda? :(

How come so many people had trouble with that Goron level? I found it pretty obvious.

Are you saying Twilight Princess is the worst Zelda? :(

Ah, um, ahh, errr...that depends, how do you judge a Zelda? What is a good, and what is a bad, Zelda?

Man, seeing as I've currently left my 360 with a friend so he can experience Resi 5, and I've been meaning to for ages, I finally bust back into MM last night(tho it was missions finding the CE disc, trust me to do it mere days after it's been tidied into a box).

I honestly think I forgot how awesome this game is, I haven't even rescued the witch lady yet(though I've done a fair bit of other st00fs, got a 4th heart already, adult wallet, big bomb bag, bunny ears etc) and I just find myself constantly thinking how amazing the game still is, and how it might even be better than OoT. This seems to have a more darker edge to it, and then it tells you a story that it never truly explains, successfully sending chills down my spine in places, just cos of this unexplained creepiness. Honestly, this is so awesome, I recommend anybody looking for something to do go bust it out afresh!

i really want to play this game, but i have very very very very very little trust in the shitty "port" on the CE disk i have

Tbf, what's the worst that could happen? It's either that or buy it on n64/and an n64, cos I imagine the GC port'd be better than the VC port, especially if you already have it. There is a notice about sound being off but it's barely noticeable to me so far and the only times otherwise I remember any different between it and the original, is when you save(which is so rare as it is anyway given how the game works regarding saving) so there's no worries about gay disc loadings or anything, go for it, check it out!! You ever played it before?

Tbf, what's the worst that could happen?

Well, the GameCube version can completely freeze - it did so to me three times whilst I was completing it. I didn't much mind, but it depends on how much patience you have.

Still, it does have the rumble feature, so I think I'll keep mine until there's a truly definitive version available.

I heard the GC version had that freezing glitch related with save slots. I experienced no such thing in the VC version.

Why did you say the VC version was worse than the GC version, Rummy?

Yep, gamecube version is the worst simply because it freezes sometimes. And it will most likely happen a few times in one playthrough of the game. You might have 2-3 hours of play erased this way (or, if you're lucky, not much at all).

yep i was a couple of hours into the game and then it crashed / froze on me. i was pretty pissed. then i found out that it s a pretty common problem so it totally put me off ever playing it again.