N-Europe

What is love?

jayseven

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole "not knowing what you've got until it's gone" thing is quite appropriate to love. I really, really thought I knew how much she meant to me, but once it's over my feelings magnify immensely - but with them come a huge bundle of hate and anger and general shit like that.

To me, love means you can share your life with someone else and not ever worry about being judged. Love was always to me the one thing you can always rely on.

The hardest thing is to get it started with someone. With my old relationship it took about 3 months to realise I was in love... but now that came to nothing, maybe I was wrong? I know that if and when there's a next time, I'll be a lot more cynical from the start. Perhaps that will prevent me from recognising true love again... I don't know.

I don't really believe in the fairy tale idea of there being a perfect partner out there. My ex was not perfect in many ways, but I was willing to accept that. What hurt about it was that she was not willing to accept my imperfections. All I'd ask for next time would be someone who enjoys spending time with me doing anything, or nothing, and someone who wants to continue to do all/none with me.

I think love teaches you to rely on someone else, and when you're alone you've forgotten how to be yourself, how to live your own life.

Yeah, its really humbling...if that makes sense! :heh:

Where's your quote from? Its really vivid, I love it.

Daft, its actually from a Stephen King novel- Lisey's Story. Well I think it is anyway, I wrote the quote down and didn't put where its from, like I have done with plenty of my quotes. If it is from Lisey's Story then thats one that I haven't finished- I got it in winter and kept it til June when I finished with University, as a bit of a gift, you know? The story is pretty painful cos its about a woman dealing with the loss of her husband, I enjoyed what I read and was toying with the emotions and letting myself taste them a bit... confident that the loss of my partner was still long in the future. Lol, it ended just days later and I've not opened the book since, seeing as I have plenty of my own inner turmoil without adding Lisey's ontop!

I always do that with books, its damn annoying. I started reading Dune Messiah but I'm on chapter 3 and its on hold till Christmas! Weird timing for the quote also cos I was thinking about starting a quotes thread.

The book sounds a bit like What Dreams May Come by Richard Matherson. Its an awesome book where this mans wife kills herself because she suffers from depression and he somehow , I can't quite remember the details now, has to search the afterlife for her. Thats a really bad description but its an awesome book with some fantastic imagery. There is a film of it with Robin Williams in it which is worth a look, it still isn't a patch on the book.

My ex was not perfect in many ways, but I was willing to accept that. What hurt about it was that she was not willing to accept my imperfections.

I find that a lot with people in general. My friends are all in couples (well my ones who live in this town) and I'm okay with that. I accept their life choices (getting married and having kids young) but I always feel judged and looked down by them (some more than others) because I don't want the same.

And finally. I WANNA KNOW WHAT LOVE IS! I WANT YOU TO SHOW ME!

Damn :( But yes, I shall be coming to Sheffield. Its currently pencilled in for January.

And to add a final point. Things a lot of people have been describing as love...to me they don't have to come from one person. (Thats the yay polygamist in me speaking perhaps :p) I have friends to hang out with, friends to cuddle up in bed with, friends to do other stuff in bed with etc. Getting it all from one person would seem a bit much. But maybe I just haven't met that person.

Love is always saying you're wrong (even when you know you are definately right).

That was certainly teh case for me! Damn I really hate TV sometimes for portraying relationships the way they do. It's not always the unfair true love that bothers me but just how easily someone can walk up to someone, have a subdued argument in three lines and walk off. Whenever I tried that in real life it was impossible to walk away. ARGH how long does it take to really move on ffs?

When me and Letty have "quibbles", which happens sometimes, i always end up saying i'm sorry even though its not my fault. I just feel guilty because she usually cries about it.

Its not that i get annoyed by this, but its not really that fair when i was the one with the problem in the first place. >_>

Yikes Eenuh, thats a little finalist is it not?

Not sure what you mean with this...

Maybe I'm just being overly bitter and angry, but I currently feel that "love" has given me more pain and misery and tears than anything else.

Well, love is very much a double edged sword.

Its amazing when its great, but when its bad you feel more pain than anything physical could.

Thats the difficulty.

When me and Letty have "quibbles", which happens sometimes, i always end up saying i'm sorry even though its not my fault. I just feel guilty because she usually cries about it.

Its not that i get annoyed by this, but its not really that fair when i was the one with the problem in the first place. >_>

That's why it's great to be the girl in a relationship, shed a few tears and you get your way. I always resented that, until the tables were turned.

Not sure what you mean with this...

Maybe I'm just being overly bitter and angry, but I currently feel that "love" has given me more pain and misery and tears than anything else.

I fully sympathize with you, I've had more than my share of pain, but I've always found that no matter how bad it gets, and it's taken me to the edge on more than one occasion, that the highs always more than make up for the lows.

Well, love is very much a double edged sword.

Its amazing when its great, but when its bad you feel more pain than anything physical could.

Thats the difficulty.

That's life, you've got to take the bad with the good, and hope that in the long run you get more good than bad.

ARGH how long does it take to really move on ffs?

I feel your pain and trouble, if/when I find out how long it takes, I'll let you know. If you find out before then, you'll let me know right? :blank:

You're entitled to be bitter and angry. It seems to be part and parcel of it, its a cliched emotional rollercoaster and pretty much the only advice you can get from people if you ask for it is cliches that are either meaningless, or you've thought of them already. :/

That's why it's great to be the girl in a relationship, shed a few tears and you get your way. I always resented that, until the tables were turned.

I fully sympathize with you, I've had more than my share of pain, but I've always found that no matter how bad it gets, and it's taken me to the edge on more than one occasion, that the highs always more than make up for the lows.

That's life, you've got to take the bad with the good, and hope that in the long run you get more good than bad.

Some wise words dotted throughout that post... but as for the bold: you dirtbag.

Also, I hate it when you seek advice... or atleast understanding from someone, and all you get is told how you feel or how you should feel. A joke.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!