NEurope
Cube

Wii Music!

GoNintendo impressions.

I think Miyamoto is a brilliant man. He looks at things in ways that most of us can’t even fathom. Having said that, every genius has their mediocre moments. I feel that Wii Music is Miyamoto’s moment.

Wii Music doesn’t really seem to have all that much to it. You select one of over 60 items, you mess around with the Wiimote and Nunchuk, and then you play along with a song. You can change pitch and speed depending on how you hold the controllers…but that’s about it. You never get notes wrong or anything like that…it’s just about playing music. There’s no score, no objective…just waggle away and play a familiar song.

The instrument variety is nice, and some of the choices are silly…but for me, I can’t see enjoying this for more than a half hour or so. There are lessons that you can take for instruments, but what can you really learn when you aren’t truly playing anything? The drum kit section looks to offer the most in-depth, realistic experience…but still, that is only one aspect of the game. I can only play the Super Mario Bros. theme with dog barks so many times before it turns from funny to annoying.

While I don’t feel that this game is for me, I can definitely see young children having a blast with it. Even Miyamoto himself said that Wii Music would be great for music programs for younger kids. I couldn’t agree with him more. I think a kindergarten class, even up through first and second grade, they all could really benefit from a game like this. It teaches children about instruments, gives them basic ideas of how they are held and what they sound like, and even gives them a chance to play and enjoy the sounds of music. At that age, you aren’t really looking to learn how to play an instrument, but instead, just to learn about them.

Wii Music has a purpose for the right age group, and can be a fun novelty as the age group goes higher. I don’t see anyone over the age of 10 really getting much out of this title. As long as Nintendo pushes it as a piece of software for the groups I mentioned above, I have no problem with it. If they are going to take an all-ages approach, I have to disagree. Anyone of any age can play this, but there are many, many age groups that will quickly tire of it. Perhaps that says something about us as gamers/people, perhaps not. All I know is, Wii Music didn’t really catch my eye…or ear.

Oh dear... I assume it'll be a budget title, but maybe it should be a WiiWare title, or an alternative bundle package for Wii Motion-plus, like Wii Play and the Wii-mote!

The game s completely as predicted then. Pointless shit!! And this could be the ONLY game Nintendo release on the whole of autumn winter in Europe!! It just gets worse!!

Nintendo SURELY have something else, they have to; they'll unveil something next month, it doesnt make any sense not to.

How long is it gonna take for people to realize this isn't a game in the conventional sense? It's like a toy, there are loads of DS games like this, it isn't hard to grasp. Don't like it, just suck it up and don't buy it.

The game s completely as predicted then. Pointless shit!! And this could be the ONLY game Nintendo release on the whole of autumn winter in Europe!! It just gets worse!!

Nintendo SURELY have something else, they have to; they'll unveil something next month, it doesnt make any sense not to.

Listen to me for a second. Nintendo has lots of Hardcore games coming out, Disaster and Wario Land are a good example. They have tons of teams that we don't even know what they're working on. E3 is now just to please the shareholders and non-game media, there are other events to please the hardcore gamer and game media. This is when the Hardcore games will be announced, not now.

How long is it gonna take for people to realize this isn't a game in the conventional sense? It's like a toy, there are loads of DS games like this, it isn't hard to grasp. Don't like it, just suck it up and don't buy it.

What TOYS do they have on the DS?

And you're right, don't like it, don't buy it. But whats annoying is 1. I was really excited about this game, it not being even close to what I thought it was going to be is disappointing. 2. There is a strong possibility this is the only game Nintendo are releasing in Europe in the last 3 months of the year!

Listen to me for a second. Nintendo has lots of Hardcore games coming out, Disaster and Wario Land are a good example. They have tons of teams that we don't even know what they're working on. E3 is now just to please the shareholders and non-game media, there are other events to please the hardcore gamer and game media. This is when the Hardcore games will be announced, not now.

I know Nintendo are working on lots of traditional games, but are they coming out this year other than Wario Land? I hope all this E3 is for mass market talk is true and next month in Germany they unveil these games, but after they said "Wait for E3" and we all was left feeling disappointed, I'd rather air on the side of pessimism and presume they are infact, not releasing anything other than Wii Music and possibly Animal Crossing before Xmas.

What part of a casual game can you not understand all you critics here? It's a game anyone can pick up and play, that is what it's about, stick to your Rock Band and Guitar hero games if you want depth.

What part of a casual game can you not understand all you critics here? It's a game anyone can pick up and play, that is what it's about, stick to your Rock Band and Guitar hero games if you want depth.

But the fact it's not casual isn't the factor with this game, its that all the fun has been taken out of playing instruments. INstruments are fun to LEARN. That's what is rewarding, and when you play/create music you it feels GREAT because you know that you were responsible for that. But this game takes away learning anything, it takes away the feeling that YOU ARE PLAYING the music. You can do ANYTHING and the music will play, you just change it a little.

This will be £19.99 right? I bet it isn't...

How Nintendo Of Europe might have the cheek to give us this to replace the absence of Animal Crossing at the end of the year is a piss-take, however much fun it is to play...it's not a game, is it? (Please Note, not confirmed. I'm just guessing).

Good thing you already played the game extensively. Also, if you were expecting something else, when they announced it you might have been looking at GH.

What TOYS do they have on the DS?

jam-sessions.281758.jpg

p41.gif

korg_ds10_shop.gif

ds-tadashii-kanji.jpg

ds-skin-care.jpg

akikataitariaboxart_160w.jpg

Sorry to interrupt, I'm going to play a game, you can continue to complain about Wii Music until Ragnarok.

Oh and Owen I would say that AC is one of the most text intensive games around and it takes a while to translate, so it's normal if it won't come to EU this year although AC DS came out in EU 3 days after USA, but we all know you're gonna say I'm speaking as if I know everything yadda yadda, so why bother.

I know Nintendo are working on lots of traditional games, but are they coming out this year other than Wario Land? I hope all this E3 is for mass market talk is true and next month in Germany they unveil these games, but after they said "Wait for E3" and we all was left feeling disappointed, I'd rather air on the side of pessimism and presume they are infact, not releasing anything other than Wii Music and possibly Animal Crossing before Xmas.

You know you are allowed to buy games other than those published by Nintendo. And don't hold your breath for August, Nintendo aren't going to be there.

But the fact it's not casual isn't the factor with this game, its that all the fun has been taken out of playing instruments. INstruments are fun to LEARN. That's what is rewarding, and when you play/create music you it feels GREAT because you know that you were responsible for that. But this game takes away learning anything, it takes away the feeling that YOU ARE PLAYING the music. You can do ANYTHING and the music will play, you just change it a little.

Stop complaining, you don't even know the full details of the game yet. You don't even have to buy it...

Good thing you already played the game extensively.

Sorry to interrupt, I'm going to play a game, you can continue to complain about Wii Music until Ragnarok.

Oh and Owen I would say that AC is one of the most text intensive games around and it takes a while to translate, so it's normal if it won't come to EU this year although AC DS came out in EU 3 days after USA, but we all know you're gonna say I'm speaking as if I know everything yadda yadda, so why bother.

Ok, judging by peoples reactions who have played this 'music software' and impressions on alot of websites, they aren't impressed...also..i've seen alot of the videos of it being played and it doesn't work as well as it should do...the drumming however is fantastic. Yes, i haven't played it..but you can get an idea by looking at it being played.

Yes i know AC takes ages to translate but if you could tell me what big 'Nintendo' game we have for Christmas i would be very greatful and please don't go on about third-party titles.

Edited this, cause i can't be bothered...

You know you are allowed to buy games other than those published by Nintendo. And don't hold your breath for August, Nintendo aren't going to be there.

Stop complaining, you don't even know the full details of the game yet. You don't even have to buy it...

I know I can buy other games I know I don't have to buy it!! Read my posts fully and not just get a sense of the general tone. Nintendo games have a sense of class and magic only they seem to provide, I love their games, thus, I'm disappointed I (probably) won't have said games to play this year. Its a bizarre situation and very unlike most years of being a fan of their games.

And, how many times do I have to explain that I know I dont have to buy it, but i was particularly excited about this game and its come as a massive disappointment to me. Why am I not allowed to express this without people saying "Don't buy it then!". Thats not my point, a complete miss of opportunity is my point

HELLFIRE: I have Cooking guide and Jam Sessions, both excellent at what they do, I understand their purpose. please read my post as to why I feel Wii Music DOESN'T feel it fulfills the purpose.

Please guys, can we debate these games. Don't just say - dont buy it then, its not a game its a toy, blah blah blah. Why don't you read the posts and tell us why you feel it being a toy is a good thing, and if you think it sounds good WHY. Thats what a forum is for isn't it? I defend Nintendo better than the best, but I'll also show my disappointments and frustrations. Some of you act like we're not allowed to be annoyed at them.

Just like they weren't at TGS 05 perhaps...

Can't say this is my cup of tea, I'll stick to more....conventional music games. And even then, probably not considering the price of admission. :P

It seems beside Wario Land Shake and Animal Crossing there isn't too much on the Nintendo side of things. I'm hoping we'll see some significant third party games for the platform going into fall. I know for America we're getting ToS: DoNW in November so that will be pretty kick ass.

Well, I'll be brave and stick up for WiiMusic for now as I (if I seem to be the only one) understand the fun of uncomplicated performance of a group.

Oh, and also, so that when it sells well, I can stick the entire Nintendo collection in the history of this civilization into the backside of (most of) you guys (and GoNintendo), flap both my hands above my head and go: BAAAAH!!! :yay:

In all honesty, I don't know how much that type of fun is shared among the general public. But hey, with a bit of luck I will be able to go BAAAAH at the entire forum :) I almost managed that with my Brain Training prediction.

Well, I'll be brave and stick up for WiiMusic for now as I (if I seem to be the only one) understand the fun of uncomplicated performance of a group.

Oh, and also, so that when it sells well, I can stick the entire Nintendo collection in the history of this civilization into the backside of (most of) you guys (and GoNintendo), flap both my hands above my head and go: BAAAAH!!! :yay:

In all honesty, I don't know how much that type of fun is shared among the general public. But hey, with a bit of luck I will be able to go BAAAAH at the entire forum :) I almost managed that with my Brain Training prediction.

Don't get me wrong, i'm liking it...it just doesn't seem to have alot of content (though i'm sure theres stuff we haven't seen) and it doesn't 100% to seem work...but i don't hate the game..I'm 95% convinced i'm gonna really enjoy it, cause i will be buying it on release! :D

I'm beginning to accept the game for what it is. I'm not particularly happy about it, I'm extremely diappointed by its direction and angry at Nintendo this is one of their big xmas releases. BUT I do actually think it will be quite fun

Only way i can see this selling is throw in a Wii Remote like they did with Wii Play.

Only way i can see this selling is throw in a Wii Remote like they did with Wii Play.

You may not buy it or see the appeal, but thousands of other people will. Nintendo will market it to high hell, and 'casuals' will most likely see it as a much cheaper alternative to Guitar Hero and Rock Band.

LOL

Well, let's be honest, the game will be fun.

I'm imagining a lot of Youtube videos with awesome musics, made by experient Wii Music players.

It still is a disappointment tough, and damn ridiculous...

Seriously? Dog noises? Facepalm