Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Origins of the Universe

Slaggis

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't say that I'm hugely bothered. I mean, everything we have as theories seems to be baseless conjecture. Well, almost. The big bang theory makes sense up until a certain point I suppose, yet some things still remain unexplained. For example, the origin of the laws of our universe, gravity, time etc. It's just a passing interest though, it doesn't affect me personally at all.

It's just gonna be split between God and Science.

Personally, evolution is right. We've seen in other animals, not just humans.

On the whole, I don't care. Just live your life now, not worrying how you came to be.

I'd say, how could God pull all this from nowhere, he couldn't.

Problem: How did everything came into existence

Solution: God made everything

Fault in solution: "Everything" would include God, and "God made everything" doesn't explain how God came into existence. Therefore, it doesn't help at all.

Well i can't see the big bang theory really. It's like, nothing exists, then a random explosion decided to happen and we magically evolved into the world of today.

Take a strawberry, how does a strawberry know to be a strawberry. It's purpose is to be eaten, now why would something evolve to be eaten.

It all comes down to whether you believe in God I suppose. I mean, I've just been doing some of this in Philosophy and we've been talking about "creationists", i.e people that think god made the world in 7 days. Complete bull imo, I belive the whole big bang buisness. I mean it's plausable, it can be mostly proven and it has an awesome name.

I don't see why people keep bringing evolution into this - it has nothing to do with the origins of the universe.

I know, maybe people are getting confused with the thread?

It all comes down to whether you believe in God I suppose. I mean, I've just been doing some of this in Philosophy and we've been talking about "creationists", i.e people that think god made the world in 7 days. Complete bull imo, I belive the whole big bang buisness. I mean it's plausable, it can be mostly proven and it has an awesome name.

In fact the name comes from Fred Hoyle, the main advocate of the steady state theory, who coined the term to lampoon.

I mean it's plausable, it can be mostly proven and it has an awesome name.

The Big Bang pretty much is proven now. It's the first few nanoseconds we don't know anything about. But we'll find that out in the next few years.

It's not a question on if the Big Bang happened. It's more the question of how it happened.

It's not a question on if the Big Bang happened. It's more the question of how it happened.

Very true. I just have never seen how people can think some sort of "worldy being" created the Universe and everything and everyone in it. I mean the whole idea of that is to me like some form of fairy tale story.

I'm with what fish said in the meaningless post thread about energy and what not.

Well i can't see the big bang theory really. It's like, nothing exists, then a random explosion decided to happen and we magically evolved into the world of today.

Take a strawberry, how does a strawberry know to be a strawberry. It's purpose is to be eaten, now why would something evolve to be eaten.

Strawberys are meant to be eaten because the berry contains the seeds of the plant, by being eaten by an animal and then shit out the seed get there own fertilisation.

Exactly, if God made everthing, then what made him?

Thats just the thing though. All the Abrahmic religions say that god made everything, and that he has always existed, always will exist, is omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent. I've quite frankly never seen quite so many questions and paradoxes in the same sentence, but whats even better than that is the response; we as human beings are supposedly too stupid to understand the specifics of gods existence. Isn't it then a little audacious for us to be expected to believe blindly in that which plainly contradicts our understanding of the world.

Another explanation that I absolutely love is when I'm told that this is simply "a test." God wants to test us. Funny, because since he/she/it is omniscient and omnipotent, and apparently our creator, he knows the events that would unfold in our life before they even occurred, and thus by creating us, the bastard is directly responsible for every so called "sin" we commit.

So, with your traditional god completely out of the picture (at least for the mentally sound), I suppose it's anything goes.

It wasn't nothing. There was something there, particles etc already there, compressed into the tiniest space possible.

I like the argument of how did the Big Bang know to go off at that certain time, with that exact amount of force?

It's like someone planned it, which then brings in God made the Big Bang happen.

I remember reading/hearing, if the amount of force exerted was the tiniest bit different, the universe would be a whole other one. Maybe life could not have come into fruition. (love that word)

Also there's the Red Shift jazz I learnt in Science, which might have something to do with this. Using (red shi I cant remember what it was may have been some sort of light) scientists have noticed that the planets and the stars are gradually moving away from each other. If they can measure how fast they're travelling and what direction they could possibly find the source of the big bang.

I'd think it funny if in however millions of years we figure this out and God's just sat there on a seat with a stop watch....just made that up

It's wasn't nothing, it was everything. All the matter in the universe was packed into the same infinitely tiny space until all of it just exploded outwards due to the immense pressure, the big bang. There was no "magic" involved.

Also there was no "beginning". The big bang was the beginning of our universe as we know it. Since there was matter before the big bang, there were universes before it too.

Well thats me proven wrong. Anyway how do they know about all these particles being there?

As you can see im not very up to date with all this big bang lark.

They can calculate the velocity of galaxies, the direction they're going and where they come from, and its all the same point. There's also a lot of "noise" left from the actual big bang.

I don't know what I believe happened. Like, I'm not overly religious, I've had a christian upbringing, but I don't think the world was made in 7 days, because evolution etc and science has disproved that, but I don't believe that everything could have come from a random big bang. I feel that there is a god or something behind it.

Or we're living in the matrix.

Oh, and whoever mentioned the strawberry thing, an interesting theory is that of Plato, his theory of Forms. He believed that we do not live in the "real world",we live in a material world. There is a real world which is home to many "forms", with ideal forms of everything, for example the ideal strawberry, the ideal cat and the ideal table. All things in our world are draw traits from these forms which determine what they are. Above all these forms is the form of the Good, the idea of perfect goodness, basically God, and we as humans pursue goodness, which includes justice, beauty, truth etc.

My explanation probably isn't that good, it's about 2 years since I studied it, but twas pretty interesting.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!