N-Europe

Ubisoft does it again...

pedrocasilva

If a load of idiots buying a shit game means Assasins Creed gets a bigger budget then i'm all for it.

Exactly, many forget that we're still gamers, not a Nintendo employee, and its the games that matter. If they keep pushing crap to the Wii and Assassin's Creed to other platforms, it's our duty (or just common sense) to buy the ones we like indifferently from which producer made it.

So, fanboyism aside, I'll always support Ubisoft's (or any other dev) good games.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly, many forget that we're still gamers, not a Nintendo employee, and its the games that matter. If they keep pushing crap to the Wii and Assassin's Creed to other platforms, it's our duty (or just common sense) to buy the ones we like indifferently from which producer made it.

So, fanboyism aside, I'll always support Ubisoft's (or any other dev) good games.

I believe I've never said I wouldn't buy Assasins Creed or a title with comparable quality coming my way, mind you.

What we're saying is Ubisoft has no right to shovel shit our way and bragging about it; it's not worth to be defended with things like "if xxxxx I'm all for it"; there's no justification for that, they'd still make the game, and they could surely use even a few percentage of that income to fund a good Wii game, they aren't, hence why they're screwing us over.

I'm not buying a X360 anytime soon too, so of course there's no way I want to be royally fucked in order to pay for apparently unprofitable endeavors; that's common sense.

And even if I was to buy a X360, like you said a good game is always worth buying so I'd be sure to pick those on the Wii, thing is I can't because Ubisoft is only dissing shit this way.

What were you expecting? Honestly, Nintendo's Blue Ocean was destined to screw us, and this is the result.

They lead by example in their own console. This is the only console where they have an excuse to do shitty games and casual gamers (theoretically Wii gamers, what has the world become, being a Nintendo fan used to be the ultimate level of nerdiness in videogames) don't care or can't distinguish between a good game or a "casual" (crappy) game, so this console will always get this treatment.

I'm still waiting for small devs to come up with those promised innovative ideas that'll fill the open spaces in this cornucopia of mediocrity.

But as you said, just don't buy their games.

P.S.: I ranted a bit.

What were you expecting? Honestly, Nintendo's Blue Ocean was destined to screw us, and this is the result.

They lead by example in their own console. This is the only console where they have an excuse to do shitty games and casual gamers (theoretically Wii gamers, what has the world become, being a Nintendo fan used to be the ultimate level of nerdiness in videogames) don't care or can't distinguish between a good game or a "casual" (crappy) game, so this console will always get this treatment.

I'm still waiting for small devs to come up with those promised innovative ideas that'll fill the open spaces in this cornucopia of mediocrity.

But as you said, just don't buy their games.

P.S.: I ranted a bit.

It's Ubi that's screwing us, not Nintendo, I'm getting/got Zelda, Super Paper Mario, Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3 Super Smash Bros Brawl (well americans will anyway) on the first year, is this is blue ocean I'm in paradise.

Wii has a broad market with that said it has lots of white spots for third party's to fill, Wii Sports is a demo, making a stand alone realistic tennis game for example is a no brainer; why did developers take so much time?

MP3 is a FPA, taking those ideas and making a FPS is also a no brainer... and we could go on, Nintendo is relying on third parties for a lot of genres, they have their space and a profitable console, releasing shit in order to fund other stuff is taking a piss, I'm not saying invest 100% of the profits in a game, but at least invest something in doing something that justifies the price and keeps the userbase happy.

Shino, I thought Nintendo's strategy was about expanding the industry, if there're just going after one audiance (non-gamers), then there're not really expanding it.

In the traditional sense, we're still getting Mario, Zelda, Metroid etc... The only thing different with the Wii is that it appeals to a lot more gamers then Gamecube ever did and because of this we're getting a lot of games that we arn't interested in.

You guys are both right, but its a bit naive to think that the Wii is selling because of the games we like, if that was true the GameCube would have been a success too, the pattern devs see here is that average games sell incredibly well! Why make more expensive ones if its gamers aren't as demanding as 360 or Ps3 gamers.

You guys are both right, but its a bit naive to think that the Wii is selling because of the games we like, if that was true the GameCube would have been a success too, the pattern devs see here is that average games sell incredibly well! Why make more expensive ones if its gamers aren't as demanding as 360 or Ps3 gamers.
That's somewhat true, Wii isn't only selling to the Nintendo core demographic, but that's a good thing; Wii demographic for instance doesn't buy Sports or FPS, not as a main choice, meaning the best it sells the bigger demographic.

That means there's lots of outsiders, not necessarily people that will eat up Nintendo games, but may eat up the third party ones Nintendo doesn't provide.

I wouldn't say it's selling to non-gamers though, I've bought games that can be considered casual just for the heck of it, as most of us have, so it's not a clear division... Also, It's really hard for a non-gamer to justify a 250 euro machine that does just that, no DVD playback... nothing; it's still expensive.

With this said... it's really a familiar friendly console so it's entering a load of households through that, but even if Wii is used by more people in the house than a regular console... there's every chance that there is a gamer in there who will buy a good game he wants for it... It just needs the good games of course.

The bigger the userbase the more publics they'll reach, so this is not only a console for casuals, it's for everyone.

Of course we are demanding though, we always did and that's what we're doing... Of course BiA Wii won't sell as much as a X360 FPS, because it clearly has 1/10th of the effort, thing is... on a Nintendo platform it's not because it's shitty it's supposedly because there is no public, that's bull, IMO.

Also, In my book PoP:RS, Farcry and others sold pretty bad, and we all know why of course.

I believe I've never said I wouldn't buy Assasins Creed or a title with comparable quality coming my way, mind you.

What we're saying is Ubisoft has no right to shovel shit our way and bragging about it; it's not worth to be defended with things like "if xxxxx I'm all for it"; there's no justification for that, they'd still make the game, and they could surely use even a few percentage of that income to fund a good Wii game, they aren't, hence why they're screwing us over.

I'm not buying a X360 anytime soon too, so of course there's no way I want to be royally fucked in order to pay for apparently unprofitable endeavors; that's common sense.

And even if I was to buy a X360, like you said a good game is always worth buying so I'd be sure to pick those on the Wii, thing is I can't because Ubisoft is only dissing shit this way.

I think the point is no one would care if some of the Wii profits went to 360 games, but when it all does and none of the profit goes to making decent Wii games it makes you sick.

Ulitmately Ubisoft are saying that they intend to put the good stuff on 360 and shaft Wii owners whilst using them as a cash cow. If even half of the massive profit they made on Wii games went to making a truly decent Wii specific game that'd be great.

But no, and that stupid f*ck from Ubisoft boasting about it makes it worse. He is a total tosser.

And this kind of attitude from them is exacly why they are being bought out.

why make games for Wii as cash in's when you're gonna waste it on developing 360 and PS3 flops?

not good sence at all

:bowdown: Exactly, I couldn't have said it better myself. From a business perspective Ubisoft have it coming, any company that shits on their profit making user base whilst pouring endless resources into profitless market places dies.

They deserve what we all know is coming to them. If they had any business sense they would be downscaling production of mega budget games that don't recoup costs and be spending more on strengthening an improving the games on the Wii which are selling.

Just imagine if FarCry Wii had been THE definitive version. XBOX+ graphics, smooth Wii controls with a few great and fun gestures in there like throwing grenades and hacking with a knife, I'm sure gamers would have lapped it up.

Just look at Resident Evil 4 Wii, it's the definitive version, CAPCOM nailed the controls, and look where it is? It went to number one of the NPD all formats sales charts and is still at number 13 in the all formats and number 4 in the Wii sales charts. It has far exceeded it's expected sales and it's sent out a message.

There is a big place on the Wii for quality real games, and if Ubisoft don't recognise this then they're going to end up being taken over, and my comment on that - good riddence!

I dont see what the problem is. The Wii so far has been a console built around mini games and non realstic types of games. If they done something like GRAW or Rainbow Six on the Wii I doubt it would sell very well, at least compared to say 360 versions.

Games like that require great visuals and the inclusion of online is a must. The Wii hasnt been able to get the online aspect right yet and the visuals from a 3rd party stand point are usually not up to scratch. Also you have to look at the kind of people who are buying Wii machines, its no longer just gamers its mothers/fathers etc. They have to make a game which will appeal to them.

As its already been stated Nintendo is kind of playing this kind of game aswell by pushing their other style of gaming rather than the traditional kind. If the company who makes the product does this then why shouldnt the 3rd parties?

I suppose I can kind of look the other way as I own a 360 aswell so I can see why so many are peed off about it but again its to be expected.

I'm sorry but this is bullshit! Red Steel is one of the most popuar 3rd party games and Zelda, surely is the most popular 1st party (and dont even TRY to say its Wii Play!!). Thats the kind of narrowminded viewpoint Ubisoft has! I thought of all people, someone with the name hero-of-time wouldn't think something like that. Its ridiculous!

This may have already been said as I replied as soon as I read this post; but if it IS made for minigames why, in the first year will we see such games Zelda, mario, Metroid, Smash Bros, Resident Evil, Scarface, Godfather, manhunt 2, Call of Duty 3 etc etc.

And as if FPS NEED online, what a sack of shit! And the Wii can't do great visuals?

I don't see the point boycotting them in general. If they produce a triple-A Wii title, I'm going to buy it. If they keep on making below-85% mediocre games such as Red Steel, PoP:Rival Swords and Raving Rabbits, I'm not. Simple as that.

It's not only Ubisoft that does this. The only really good 3rd party game so far is RE4 and that's a remade GC game...

Dudes, I'm seriously...

Boycotting them won't do anyone any good. Moreso, it seems to me like some of you would be betraying their own beliefs (ie, "buy good games, grant every single developer the same level of confidence until you've laid hands on their product").

Ubisoft has done good things on Wii, and even one triple-A title as far as I'm concerned (Rayman Raving Rabbids).

Problem is that the hype for their exclusives and wiimakes was beyond proportion. People were so thrilled to see key developers jumping on the support wagon so early , that they ignored the possibility that some of those titles might suck ass. Hard. Disappointment followed.

Now, with this press release, I can imagine that some avid Nintendophiles feel let down yet again. However, if one is critical of mind, they should realise that this is commonplace, and has been since the start of a competitive gaming market. It just not happens so often that a developer so openly smacks a console and their following in the face.

If you think of it, conversely, this has been, and can be, a good thing. As long as the Wii is gaining terrain on their competitors, and doesn't see profitable games released that are being released on other systems, the income from those titles will benefit the Wii. Sooner or later, even Ubisoft is bound to realize that the quality standards of the Wii-demographic aren't per se lower than those of the owners of "hardcore consoles." If RE4:WE is indeed selling as well as Zechs is claiming, then I don't see why other developers shouldn't follow that prime example of quality.

And as the Wii more and more reaches the PS2 phenomenon in terms of popularity and sales, everyone will be anxious to develop for this console, as they were with the Sony's last succesful one.

We mustn't forget that the Wii is still a newborn baby when compared to the 360 - and that the PS3 hasn't even reached foetal stage thanks to "our console's" succes.

Aaaah Noku. Very well said, and so very true indeed.

But the only gripe I have with what your saying is with Ubisofts current stance. Yes, I do believe that boycotting them would be ridiculous, as good games should be supported regardless, but Ubisoft isn't using the Wii as fairly as they should. It is unbalanced to say the least in terms of the 'quality titles' and 'quick buck titles'.

They have to make money, that is obvious, but in terms of something of the more serious nature in terms of quality... we only have the two games and they were realeased at launch (Red Steel and Rayman Raving Rabbids, some of you may disagree, but they are both sound titles, especially for launch titles). They level out things a little more and give us some 360-esque titles (of the more 'serious' nature I mean).

Otherwise though, I do agree with you, the Wii is new and is still finding its feet as a new-born baby (despite the amazing quick sales and success), and with that in mind, things should turn in our favour.

Thanks dude :)

I agree with what you're saying too. If anything, something should be done (by Nintendo, perhaps) to assure the non-casual market of, at the very least, the same plethora of "serious" titles that the other next-gen consoles are getting. Making some M-rated games exclusives never hurts either (good example with Rockstar there: Wii only next-gen console getting Manhunt 2).

I want Assassin's Creed damn it :p

Yeah I know, the nice blend of titles for the non-casual market mixed with those that are for the casual market will see Nintendo's goal of reaching out to a broader market become true, rather than going after just one market as some believe is the case at the moment (but hey, for all the games released on the Wii, it's not really Nintendo's fault).

Nintendo could have an influence though, because we do need a number of titles of the more 'serious' nature that makes it comparable (in number) to the other next-gen consoles (for that real 'broader market' appeal). The Man-Hunt example is a good example, hopefully the sales for it will prove it. You got some good insight there ;).

And hey, with Ubisoft behind Assassin's Creed, you never know (sorry, I couldn't resist that one) ;).

BTW, by no means am I complaining about the present state of the Wii, just my opinions on it to keep it's success going and for Nintendo to truly reach the goal they set out for (just incase I'm misinterpreted).

:) I'm not upset really, but I can't believe what you posted! Compare the games 360 in its first year and I bet it didn't lok as rosy as the Wii'd catalogue now! I've followed Nintendo since the beginning, and I think the software library looks very healthy and varied. It seems to me that people think that the casual games mean they're replacing the "hardcore" (god I hate that phrase); when i think we're getting both! I mean, does hardcore really mean amazing graphics and online play? No it doesn't! For me Zack and Wicki 'looks' more hardcore than say Gears of War - when it comes to VIDEOGAMES it shouldnt be about how it looks, or how emmersive the story is (though they certainly help) its how they PLAY! Zacki and Wicki seems to be doing more in ternms of play than they extremely derivative Gears of War!

I mean its like saying Transformers (or replace with other hollywood bullshit) is better than Fight Club because its had more money spent on it, it looks amazing and has a really believable alternative world!

I think the problem is that (some) people still don't realize the potential of the Wii. If one company sat down and said: "OK, guys, we are going to make a great FPS for the Wii. Nice graphics (because it is possible to get pretty graphics - look at Brawl and Galaxy), great single player storyline, fun multiplayer, well-used Wii controls etc.", I believe it would be a big seller. Red Steel had all the elements, they were just executed poorly. Don't get me wrong, I liked that game very much, but it could have been so much better.

Now, I'm not trying to be a Solitanze, but if developers realized the potential of the Wii, Sony and Microsoft wouldn't be able to see anything but Nintendo's heels. Wii still has the reputation of being the weak console, but I think we've seen enough evidence that it is more than capable at producing nice graphics (again, Brawl and Galaxy), deep storylines (Metroid, possibly the other two as well), great Wii controls (Metroid again) and fun multiplayer (Red Steel had fun multiplayer, Brawl are most likely going to, and a lot of the mini-game-games are fun).

Nintendo said they would be making games for all audiences - both softcore and hardcore (sorry, dazzybee). I just think the balance is very uneven at the moment.

:) I'm not upset really, but I can't believe what you posted! Compare the games 360 in its first year and I bet it didn't lok as rosy as the Wii'd catalogue now! I've followed Nintendo since the beginning, and I think the software library looks very healthy and varied. It seems to me that people think that the casual games mean they're replacing the "hardcore" (god I hate that phrase); when i think we're getting both! I mean, does hardcore really mean amazing graphics and online play? No it doesn't! For me Zack and Wicki 'looks' more hardcore than say Gears of War - when it comes to VIDEOGAMES it shouldnt be about how it looks, or how emmersive the story is (though they certainly help) its how they PLAY! Zacki and Wicki seems to be doing more in ternms of play than they extremely derivative Gears of War!

I mean its like saying Transformers (or replace with other hollywood bullshit) is better than Fight Club because its had more money spent on it, it looks amazing and has a really believable alternative world!

Transformers is better than Fight Club! ( im a huge Transformers fan :) )

Yeah I see what you mean, again though its all down to personal taste and what you class as fun.

I dont class a game like Brain Academy fun because to me it just isnt. I would rather play something that plays like a normal Videogame. I just havent been able to get into all of this "training" style of gameplay and I doubt I ever will.

AC will be November's biggest selling title (aside from EA Sports stuff).

Hardly. Halo 3 and Super Mario Galaxy* guarantee that it won't be.

* After all, New Super Mario Bros has sold over 10 million units worldwide, and Mario is, once again, one of the hottest videogame properties in the world. In fact, it is bigger than Halo.

AC will be November's biggest selling title (aside from EA Sports stuff).

Not many people own a ps3 or Have even heard of it.

Casuals I mean and casuals=most sales.

Halo 3 will sell the most i believe. I think metroid prime 3 will be the best selling metroid for sure. mario galaxy Will be second to halo 3 in sales.

Not sure.

Hardly. Halo 3 and Super Mario Galaxy* guarantee that it won't be.

* After all, New Super Mario Bros has sold over 10 million units worldwide, and Mario is, once again, one of the hottest videogame properties in the world. In fact, it is bigger than Halo.

Not to mention that New Super Mario Bros. is still often in the top 10 charts (or sometimes not far from it) in both the UK and Japan.

Transformers is better than Fight Club! ( im a huge Transformers fan :)

That says it all ;)

I dont class a game like Brain Academy fun because to me it just isnt. I would rather play something that plays like a normal Videogame. I just havent been able to get into all of this "training" style of gameplay and I doubt I ever will.

Fair enough, but my main greavance is people saying Wii isnt the right console for hardcore games, which I think is ridiculous. Wii is home to both, surly thats the best thing - we get the casual games to sell lots of Wiis meaning more companies will make games for it, AND we get some really great "hardcore" games. Ubisoft are wankers but Konami, Capcom, obviously Nintendo, Take 2/Rockstar, EA, Sega etc etc they're still making quality, innovative games for the Wii!!!

We DONT (or at least shouldnt) need a 360 as well, though great if you can afford both. Wii should and will provide everything!........Except halo............

And GTA4, MGS 4, GT and a few other over rated franchises :)