N-Europe

Renewing internet security?

Pancake

When i bought my PC earlier in the year it had Norton internet security already installed on it and i got 6 months free protection. Today it has run out though and it's asking my to renew it which costs £28 for 12 months. My question is... if i had bought Norton separately (which cost about £50, right?) would i still have to pay to renew it every 6/12 months or would i get free updates?

Don't bother using Norton. There are plenty of better Internet security programs. Look in the essential programs thread.

But in answer to your question. I think with your £28 you'll just be buying the updates without the program (you have it already) but with the £50 you're buying the program and however-many-months of updates.

I think you would still have paid for major updates from full version to the next full version. I can't stand Norton though, on my first PC it caused nothing but problems, and wasn't great at removing problems in my PC anyway. Personally I would see this as a sign and get something better, and more free :)

Edit: I also use Avast for Anti-Virus, good program :)

But aren't the free ones... crap? I mean why would anyone pay for Norton etc if there were better free ones out there? I'm not sure i could trust a free one, especially since i'm planning on buying stuff online soon and don't want hackers. Are you sure they're trustworthy?

But aren't the free ones... crap? I mean why would anyone pay for Norton etc if there were better free ones out there?

Thats what I thought, but 10 years of internet experience told me differently.

Use Avast, or if you really want to save resources, use NOD32.