Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World

jammy2211

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Captain Falcon

Got this today.

Emil started off really annoying but he's starting to grow a pair now.

Liking the music - even if it is mostly remixes so far. The map screen music that is composed of Phantasia tunes almost makes up for the lack of an over world. And the battle theme's are quite fitting.

My only two nags at this point are one, the loading is little on the long side given the GC original and two, I'm finding the battle system to be not as fluid as the first. I'm sure my latter point will disappear once I've had a bit more time with it but right now, I'm finding battles tougher than I thought I would.

I transferred my save data over from the original and it seemed to give me some recovery accessories from what I gathered.

Edited by Captain Falcon

I managed to grab a couple of hours on this last night and so far im enjoying what i've seen. ( hence the avatar change :) )

I felt really sorry for Emil, everyone picking on him and putting him down. His freaking parents get killed and they treat him like scum. I was glad when I went back to Luin to help Marta and he finally unleashed!

Im still a bit confused when it comes to recruiting monsters to your team. I thought once I entered a battle I would get the option to hire them once I defeated them but it wasn't the case. Im sure I will get my head around it as the game progresses.

Im looking forward to seeing how the story plays out, methinks it wasn't really Lloyd who attacked Palmacosta but time will tell...

Oh, one last thing, Richter OWNS!! :D

Guest Captain Falcon

I'm a bit farther in now but in a bid to talk about the game without spoiling it for others, and sticking things in boxes, I'll be as vague as possible but it should be clear if you've got there...

The first original cast member who joins your party has just left me and I'm off to the next town. I know in order to keep the game balanced, they shouldn't be too high a level, but it seemed strange seeing them so low and having so few moves. I'm fairly sure they'd have more moves at that level in the previous game.

Getting more of a hang at the fighting but the monsters in my team seem a bit useless and I find more than anything that they get in my way and force me to run around more.

Plus, the strategy options have been severely reduced an there are no shortcuts in battle for swapping set ups so it's difficult to get a set up that works for every encounter.

And I too am a bit vague on the whole recruiting lark. I know the major element of the battle field has to match at least three minor ones. The major one changes by getting the same type of minor ones together and they are done by casting artes. As for then the next part... it seems a bit of a mystery. I swear Tenebrae said you don't need to have woken the core to recruit monster of that type but since leaving that very first dungeon I've hardly been able to recruit anything.

I think the unison attack also resets the minor elements.

I guess im behind you as I still have that person in my party.

I spent a bit of time levelling up ( I like doing this in my RPGs ) just at the start of Hima. It was a great little spot as it has a few monsters kicking about and the Inn is right next to you incase you need to heal up.

While doing this I managed to recruit a couple of more monsters, a bat and a bird. The ones im using at the moment are the wolf and the imp which have been doing great for me. The wolf is ready to change its class but I haven't a clue how to do this. ::shrug:

In terms of recruiting I think your right about the whole element thing. I got the oppertunity to recruit a skeleton and then the option came to strengthen my pact by using my monsters. The imp I was using had 2 stars next to it the wolf nothing. I decided to try using the wolf and the pact failed. Im assuming the more stars the monster has the better the chance of a pact happening?

It would have been better it they spent a little more time explaining this whole new setup to the game. I even looked in the instructions booklet to see if that had any help, sadly not. I guess I will hit G-Faqs and see if I can find anything out while dodging spoilers aswell.

EDIT: This guide explains a few things at the beginning.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/wii/file/942210/54900

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Guest Captain Falcon
I guess im behind you as I still have that person in my party.

I spent a bit of time levelling up ( I like doing this in my RPGs ) just at the start of Hima. It was a great little spot as it has a few monsters kicking about and the Inn is right next to you incase you need to heal up.

While doing this I managed to recruit a couple of more monsters, a bat and a bird. The ones im using at the moment are the wolf and the imp which have been doing great for me. The wolf is ready to change its class but I haven't a clue how to do this. ::shrug:

In terms of recruiting I think your right about the whole element thing. I got the oppertunity to recruit a skeleton and then the option came to strengthen my pact by using my monsters. The imp I was using had 2 stars next to it the wolf nothing. I decided to try using the wolf and the pact failed. Im assuming the more stars the monster has the better the chance of a pact happening?

It would have been better it they spent a little more time explaining this whole new setup to the game. I even looked in the instructions booklet to see if that had any help, sadly not. I guess I will hit G-Faqs and see if I can find anything out while dodging spoilers aswell.

EDIT: This guide explains a few things at the beginning.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/wii/file/942210/54900

Well I've got two wolves, the imp, a slime and recently a ghost.

I evolved my wolf into it's next stage (it's done by cooking for them at the Katz stores) but it seemed to have lost the sole arte it had in the process. It's stats jumped though, so it's not all bad.

I also spent some time in Hima but that was because the only enemy I've encountered so far that I know gives off gald (and which isn't a boss) is the skeletons and I wanted to stock up on some things.

Must get this bad boy at some point. My anticipation for it kind of died about a year ago. With completing TWEWY last night I'm wondering what my next RPG will be- maybe something I already own... or buy DotW!

How's it feel to have monsters in your party? I found it worked really well in Dragon Quest V but its still a feature I'm wary of because for some reason I automatically think of it as a cop out on the developers part.

Guest Captain Falcon

I've just stared chapter 3 now and have a couple more monster under my belt but as evidenced by one of the skits I recently saw, I don't swap my monsters out very much.

My evolved wolf at around level 14 (maybe higher) finally learned the the move it forget when it evolved despite originally learning it around level 8, but it's the only move it has. In fact, none of them have more than one arte yet.

I decided to have a go at one of the quests to see what they where like and whilst it seems like an excuse to shoehorn areas into the game without having to give them any plot relevance, or location on the map, what the heck, it works for me.

My only slight niggle was that the goal was to recover something from the area but because there were so many chests around, I ended up grabbing the item before I'd fully explored the area. Though part of that was down to a forced fight that gave no warning - you walk to an area and suddenly you have to fight and then it was quest over...

One thing I've noticed is that I seem to be swimming in materials but don't actually have anything I can make with them. I'm not sure whether I should be keeping them all or selling them on.

Still haven't picked it up. I'm not all that bothered to tell the truth. Got too many games sitting around left unfinished. I would normally get it for Christmas but it would be a waste of time as the Wii is the showboat of the Christmas period.

But yeah impressions so far people. How are you finding it.

Guest Captain Falcon

I'm enjoying it so far and am getting into it the more I play.

One thing that seems quite strange compared to the first is that I felt the first did a better job of explaining things to you. And by that, I mean both the gameplay elements and the story.

The major new element in the monster capture, at this stage at least, seems far more fiddly than I would expect for something so intrinsic to the game and doesn't make that aspect that easy to get into.

I guess it's just one of those things you have to fumble about with until you get it it and then wonder what all the fuss was about.

Combat doesn't feel as fluid as ToS but now I've got a handful of artes, and some skills to combine, it's helping to become it's own battle system, rather than a system that doesn't match the first - comparisons are becoming less relevant.

The motion capture is nice and the cutcenes are directed with far more flair than the original which helps to liven them up. I personally find the more proportionally accurate characters more appealing than the chibi-esque older style - now they are more in line with the artwork. Some textures will appear rough when zoomed in the cutscenes, but for the most part, everything looks nice enough from the default camera angle. Temple/ dungeon areas are a bit boring but then that shouldn't come as a surprise.

From what I've seen, all compulsory dialogue is fully voiced, as are the skits, and with the lack of the world map to eat up your time, the skits seem to come along pretty quickly and you will find them available as soon as the last one has finished sometimes.

Music is nice though mostly remixes - the battle theme in dungeons is new though and very fitting. Richter's theme is pretty nifty too.

Guest Captain Falcon

One thing I've also noticed is the amount of times I get stunned. I think I've been stunned more times playing this than in all my runs of the first combined.

When it happens in boss fights, I get stunned, and then whilst stunned, I get stunned again and my health drops like a stone. The lives I've lost to that is untrue...

I've really got to re-play this at some point. I picked it up when it came out in North America about a year ago (actually a few days after since none of the stores around me were selling it). I got to the final boss, and my Wii's system memory corrupted. Although, I think I ended up just watching the ending on Youtube...

I've been waiting for this for so long and now i have no money. Its 30 euro for this which doesnt seem much but still, might take a while to mooch it up.

I've been offered a game for christmas but i thought I'd get assassin's creed 2 since that costs like 50 euro.

I really shouldn't, I only got Agarest 5 days ago and it seems like it'll be a long game. But since I feel my Wii needs the dust wiping off it I'm probably gonna order it. Since my Wii is on the big Tv and i won't get all the time i want on it i could probably play both at the same time.

Edited by Emerald Emblem

Guest Captain Falcon
Just starting it now. It's weird that even though I wasn't a fan of the voice of Robin being the voice of Lloyd, it seems weird having someone else voice him now.

Christ... Emil is more of a pussy than I imagined.

Given Lloyd has most of the dialogue in the first, changing his voice actor was always going to seem weird.

Since I've kept pretty far away from this for fear of spoilers, I'm not sure which characters have new voices and which keep the old ones. I've seen three of the original part members so far and two had different actors. Neither of those two were bad - one was ok though, it lacked the magic, and the other sounded surprisingly close to the original and just made the character sound older and given it's a couple of years on the world, it fits.

And as for Emil, he get's much more tolerable surprising quickly.

How does the game compare to the original and other games in the series? Does it have multiple "endings"?

There is a bad, normal and good endings.

The bad ending mostly depends on what you do in the final battles.

Getting the normal or good ending (as well as avoiding the conditions for bad ending in the last fight) depend on various choices you make during the game. One of those happens very early, also in certain temples your actions inside could effect if you on on track to get the good ending or not.

If you want more info PM me

Guest Captain Falcon
I've pretty much just met Colette, she's the same voice actress.

[Check teh ImDb for detailz]

Just seeing Laura Bailey [Voice of Marta] she was Trunks/others in Dragonball Z, and she's a right fox!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1154161/

Whilst not wanting to get to far off topic but...

I take it you haven't seen Heather Hogan (Colette) then?

She's definitely cuter in my book.

I'll take them both.

One thing I have to ask about, when I buy something and try to equip it, it only seems to give me the choice of Emil, if I buy something for Marta I have to stop talking to the seller, pause, equip, talk again if I want more. Is there a way to switch between characters?

Just got this today, about 1 hour in the game and boy the story so far is horrible. Why do we need a flashback of a conversation that took place FIVE minutes ago?!

I'm not really used to fighting properly. Seems like i really have to defend every now & then..yes, i already died in the first dungeon :p

I assume the centurion thing will be explained a bit more? What happened to the summon spirits? (don't tell me if it gets explained later on =p)

I'm not really used to fighting properly. Seems like i really have to defend every now & then..yes, i already died in the first dungeon :p

The fighting seems a little static at the moment for me. It just doesn't seem as fluid as the original Symphonia did.

Anyone seem the Blanka looking Orge yet?

Also, does anyone know what level the floating fire swords evolve?

Edited by EEVILMURRAY