NEurope
Zechs Merquise

Mario Kart Wii

Jamba, that's a pretty ridiculous point there

Shut up Dazzy. If you read my posts properly you would realise that I think that what I have been saying has all been in my opinion only. I really can't stand it when people say "HOW CAN YOU SAY THAT!!!!!111" when it's obvious that I just did. Why would I even bring up the points I did if I didn't think it was the case?

Why would I even bring up the points I did if I didn't think it was the case?

I can't believe you just said that... ;)

I can totally see where you're coming from. I have owned 4 of the 5 MK games and I do feel that each game hasn't added much that is genuinely new to the series.

I find it pretty hard to actually think of new things to add though. If they do something too radical, then they run the risk of turning it into a different game. For example, the addition of bikes and stunts have made some commentators liken it to other genres. But maybe that's not a bad thing.

I can't believe you just said that... ;)

I can totally see where you're coming from. I have owned 4 of the 5 MK games and I do feel that each game hasn't added much that is genuinely new to the series.

I find it pretty hard to actually think of new things to add though. If they do something too radical, then they run the risk of turning it into a different game. For example, the addition of bikes and stunts have made some commentators liken it to other genres. But maybe that's not a bad thing.

It's a hard question that I've asked myself before. I think changing the handling would be a major step. If you compare it to other racing games, the difference in handling between cars and different terrains seems very minor. Maybe they should stray it away from the Kart idea and make it a bit more rally-ish?

It is a hard franchise to extend though, especially when I think about the original. To me SMK was a really brave shot in the dark, for instance if someone pitched me the concept for it, I would have been highly dubious. But it DID appeal and I think that Nintendo are finding it hard to figure out just what it was that worked well and how to progress that.

I think the problem is that IT worked well, and to progress from it would change it into something different, that just won't work as well. I think it's the issue behind alot of games franchises, and the one that causes this problem. Sometimes, there's just nowhere left to go! You either keep the game basically the same and keep the fanbase(losing some who don't want the game cos it's too samey), or try and change it for the better and failing(a much more likely possibility than suceeding) and lose tons more/alienate all existing fans. If they change it too much, it'll become too much of a different game that it isn't really a mario kart anymore. Mario kart is quite unique in the racer genre IMO, and it leaves the problem for developers to keep that uniqueness along with adding freshness.

Trust me Jamba I read all your post and I thought what you said was ridiculous, or am I not allowed to say that? Am I also not allowed an opinion? I explained why I thought it was ridiculous, isn't that okay?

Anyways, first review seems positive so that's great.

I can't believe how quickly the release of this game is approaching!!!! It's amazing!

Hmmm, I must admit I'm getting more and more in the vibe of this game. I started replaying Mario Kart DD and finally got Mario Kart DS back from my girlfriend (with al records broken. Curses!). I was apathic about this game for a while, but the flame started burning again.

It's calling me... Wha... What, you say? A re... red shell? Straight on the head? As you wish, Master...

Oh Crash Bandicoot, how I loved your games. Especially crash bash! That gave me endless enjoyment :D

Also I have just found that I can't find my mario kart ds!! :o now thats depressing...:P where could it be?

It's surprising that the 1st non-Naughty Dog Crash was the only decent one, and it was just a minigame one:heh:

Anyway....

Crash 1,2,3 Bash and Racing were quality.

All the rest were a shambles. I bum naughty dog, did they ever make anything else?

Crash 1,2,3 Bash and Racing were quality.

All the rest were a shambles. I bum naughty dog, did they ever make anything else?

They didn't make Crash Bash. They also did Jak and Daxter and Uncharted.

I hope we see some scan's of the ONM and GM reviews soon.

Anywhoo, read on the Gamespot forums that the 10 battle arenas in the game are :-

New

Block Plaza

Delfino Pier

Funky Stadium

Chain Chomp Wheel

Thwomp Desert

Retro

SNES Battle Course 4

GBA Battle Course 3

N64 Skyscraper

GCN Cookie Land

DS Twilight House

They could have chosen much better retro stages.

The battle mode fails.

Unless Block Plaza is very similar to Block Fort.

You people are never happy :)

I's a good review, they said the wheel is better than classic or GC pad, and also that bikes are awesome!!! They also say the online is just incredible with its options, but we all knew that!!

Seriously, this game is just going to be amazing! Smash what?!?!?!?

I have a request/challenge for you!

Can anyone get me a source that confirms there is definitely no snaking in MKWii? I tried some quick googlage, and found some old pages that said there was, and so now I am confused as to where the story that there isn't came from. I'm apologising for being so lazy and not scouring tinternets myself, but I need it a bit soon.

There IS NO snaking in Mario Kart Wii. The corner boost is done by just holding rather than waggling, it's timed, so if you're pressing jump/skid/whatever then it times it!!! Confirmed in reviews; particularly the review I'm holding in my hand in ONM.

So it's definitely 100% confirmed? It's the difference between buying it and not for me and my mate, but he's finding it hard to believe. I'll tell him to check out a copy of this month's NOM, thanks! :D

'Snaking' in MK is done becuse you get boosts quickly by rapidly moving left and right during a skid, MK Wii does not allow you to get a boost quickly by moving left and right - only when you skid for a fairly long period of time so there is not going to be any real 'snaking' in the game. The only kind of snaking you may see would be very slow and it may be pointless due to the time it takes to get a significant boost.

I imagine lots of people will be skidding most of the time on a course to get as many boosts as possible but it won't be anything like the snaking everyone has done/witnessed before. Just 'Skidding' would be a more accurate term i reckon.

I swear it's gone

"Since it takes a wile for the blue boost, it pretty much eliminates snaking"

Is that a good thing for you guys or a bad thing?

There IS NO snaking in Mario Kart Wii. The corner boost is done by just holding rather than waggling, it's timed, so if you're pressing jump/skid/whatever then it times it!!! Confirmed in reviews; particularly the review I'm holding in my hand in ONM.

Thank fuck for that. I shudder to think how much I'd hate online if there was snaking.

I hated the snakers in MKDS, it really put me off playing on-line. Hopefully it won't happen this time.