N-Europe

Transformers Animated (2008)

Retro_Link

transformers-animated-poster_1182827311.jpg

http://uk.tv.ign.com/articles/799/799046p1.html

New Transformers Series Coming to Cartoon Network

Updated take on the characters reimagines the Autobots as superheroes.

With their first live action movie about to premiere, the Transformers are set to also return to the small screen in the coming year. The new series, titled Transformers Animated, will air on the Cartoon Network. While the cable station has aired other Transformers series in the past, this will be the first time Transformers toy creators Hasbro are co-producing a series with the US based Cartoon Network, rather than Takara, the Japanese toy and production partner on previous Transformers projects.

In a move that will certainly raise the eyebrows of longtime Transformers fans, the series is intended as a very different take on the concept, with the heroic Autobots serving as a sort of superhero team that face threats from evil humans most of the time, rather than constantly fighting their longtime enemies, the Decepticons.

The Hollywood Reporter says the plan is to give the robots "more human qualities" on the series, to allow for kids to better identify with them. Cartoon Network's Bob Higgins tells Cartoon Network "We've used the basic Transformers and characters as a springboard, but then we're pretty much reimagining the whole thing. What we're doing with it is basically turning it into a superheroes story. We're really excited that we're able to take this decades-old property and hopefully turn it into something that kids haven't seen or expected from a Transformers series before."

26 episodes will be produced initially, along with a 90-minute special that will launch the series. The staff of the series includes supervising director Matt Youngberg (Teen Titans / The Batman), executive producer Sam Register (Ben 10 / Teen Titans), character designs by Derrick Wyatt (Teen Titans), and head writer Marty Isenberg (X-Men / Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles). After preproduction is completed at Cartoon Network Studios, Animation will be done by Japanese studio Mook.

The series will premiere in early 2008, and the inevitable Hasbro toyline for Transformers Animated will launch in March.

Certainly has that art style that many animated series are taking nowadays, TMNT, Batman, Clone Wars etc...

Don't really like the sound of this much!

Oh dear god, whatever bad things i said about all those new Transformers series that have come out in recent years i take it all back. This has got to be the worst and most ridiculous re-invision of the show ever. The look just isn't right, they look more like people wearing costumes.

And no Descpiticons.... WTF? What is the point?

god what a load of guff!

I used to love Transformers when I was kid they were just so good and the movie is still one of the best animated films ever in my view.

This just looks bastardised to me! Superheroes against humans, surely the transformers could just walk straight up to the bad guys lair and pick him up and crush him in their hands?think they will struggle to make this last for as many episodes as they are planning...

The decepticons are their mortal enemies they have fought each other for centuries, but nah lets fight humans sure robot vs robot is good but its not good enough anymore they'd rather rip the core out of the series main premise...

I don't really like this new style of animation that a lot of these recent remakes have started to use such as Batman, He Man, Turtles and the new Biker Mice from Mars...

had to laugh at the bit that says about giving them more;

"more human qualities"

When I was a kid I still felt they touched a tone with me. I mean the use of kids in the series was inspired to give that human touch, I was always jealous and wished a transformer would come and ask me for help lol! I'll go mental if they give the transformers awful human voices.

It doesn't say there'll be no Decepticons period. It just says they'll be fighting human shit mostly.

face threats from evil humans most of the time, rather than constantly fighting their longtime enemies, the Decepticons.

So they may feature, just not much.

I dont know. Cartoon Network is able to make some quality cartoons. I think I will wait before I pass judgement.

Your joking right? I can't think of one quality cartoon to come out of them. Then again has there been any good cartoons since the early 90s..

This is absolutely ridiculous.

What kind of moron thinks Transformers needs more human qualities? They're ROBOTS for god's sake.

And why have them fighting humans? A great big robot against a tiny little man... fantastic idea...

'Optimus come quick there's a hold up at the bank!'

*Optimus rips the roof off and squashes the robbers*

Actually... I'd watch that.