NEurope
Guest Jordan

Vista Thread

A few quick questions for you guys...

Firstly, my taskbar seems to have lost its transparency effect, dunno why I just turned on the computer one day (this was a hell of a long time ago by the way) and it wasn't transparent any more. Any ides on how to get this back, I've tried messing with the appearance settings but to no avail!?

Secondly, I've just got a second monitor so am using a dual screen set up at the moment. How do I get different background pictures on each monitor, I've seen it done in threads like "Post your Desktop" so I'm sure it's possible!

Thirdly, If I want to use a full screen program on one of the monitors is it then possible to have mouse control on the other? When I try it with Windows Media Center the mouse just locks onto the screen displaying WMC.

Cheers for any help.

A few quick questions for you guys...

Cheers for any help.

1. You sure? When apps are fullscreened then transparency gets turned off on the taskbar, if you are make sure aero is turned on. I'm on XP right now so I can't tell you where exactly but just do a search for "aero"

On second thoughts I remember a seperate option for transparency. Do a search for that as well.

2. You need a great program called "UltraMon"

3. This is application dependant, I don't know how to override it.

1. Yeah I knew about it only being transparent when windows aren't maximised but even when they're in the window state the taskbar transparency isn't there. However window transparency (the edge of the windows) is transparent so Aero is definitely on!

2. Shall have a look for that program now, cheers Mr Sanchez.

Ultramon is awesome, you need the latest beta build for vista (unless they bought out a stable one recently). It's perfect for dual monitors.

Just after I got done praising Windows Media Centre's TV functions they've started giving me troubles. Every time I start up and try to go to live TV, it tells me I don't have a TV card set up, and I have to go and set it up in the settings again! Irritating >.>

Just paid attention to Windows Media Centre for the first time, it works perfectly with my TV card and gives me Freeview :D Up until using WMC, the only software that would play TV on my PC was the one that came packaged with the card, and it was shite - freezing and lagging every few seconds. This works great though.

What TV Card do you have mate?

One that came with my PC, DVB-TV 878. It's a very basic one and it's causing some trouble now. (re: post above)

Well it's not masses of trouble, just that I have to set it up nearly every time I start WMC for some reason.

2. You need a great program called "UltraMon"

Or just stick two images next to each other that are the sizes of your monitors, go into Display properties and under desktop select that image, and click 'Tile' as the option rather than stretch.

Ultramon gives so much more than just allowing you to have two seperate wallpapers....

I'm officially fed up with Vista. 1st. It won't let me play AoE III. 2nd It deactivates and still has not reactivated. And now it won't let me play Diablo 2 LoD! I'm loading XP MCE within hours, god so annoying.

I am installing a Vista again due to crucial system files being deleted during some sort of thing...Blah Blah Blah

Anyway I know the old files get named as Windows.Old, can these be deleted?

You should format, it means your not doing a clean install. but yeah you can just

delete them.

4 posts later and I'm already back to Vista :heh:

But at least AoE III installed this time... Bit weird.

And what does it have to do with Windows Vista?

This thread is the closest thing to a M$ thread so seemed the right place.

What do you think are the common misplaced 'Facts' of Vista that are handed around the internet...

List them and give an example..

1: Dodgy Installation

How can people who have even been through the process even call it that, it is the most safest installation I have come across in a program/os Only idiots could come out of a Vista Installation with an Issue.

I have heard that phrase battered about on this forum more times than Sony Sux.

What are the other misconceptions of Vista?

2: It's unsafe, I'll wait for SP1

- Vista in its original form is safer than XP SP2, and when SP1 finally comes, its nothing more than a compilation of the updates we've been getting through Windows Update.

On my dad's new pc, with Vista Home Premium. First time i've had chance to actually use this now, i'm quitem liking it, it's a fresh, new interface, all flows smoothly, really like Aero and all that too.

First impressions: Tays-tee.

I've done something, I don't know what, to make the bar at the top of Opera/anything full screen a clear blue/white colour and the start bar really black. It wasn't as black as it is now which I like, but it's strange. I don't know what I did.

I've done something, I don't know what, to make the bar at the top of Opera/anything full screen a clear blue/white colour and the start bar really black. It wasn't as black as it is now which I like, but it's strange. I don't know what I did.

How! Sounds awesome. I wish there was a simple way of changing the colour of the start bar etc (or is there a way?).

There must be a way, I've done it. I just don't know what I've done. I'm not keen on the bar at the very top being that clear blue. I liked that being dark. I guess I'll get ued to it.

Try going to Control Panel > Personalization > Window Color and Appearance, see if you can fix it there.