NEurope
Guest Jordan

Vista Thread

Cheers. It's wierd it set it to default even though I hadn't been in that option.

Ideally I would like to be able to turn my computer on and off with a remote control, is there actually any way of doing this?

With my Media Center remote I can send it in and out of sleep but what I would really like to do is get it so the fans/anything else that makes a noise stops running. I know there are different levels of sleep (S1-3) and that S4 is hibernate but I'm not really sure what the best method would be!?

I've tried telling my computer to go into hibernation when I press the sleep button but for some reason it just comes straight back out of it (I've tried disabling network cards and anything else that may be telling it to wake up). How do I go about activating the other levels of sleep and would these turn things like the fans off?

There must be some way of achieving this!?

After seeing Cube's desktop pic in the desktop wallpaper thread thing, how do you make the task bar much more see through etc, same with the start menu?

I just bought a new hard drive, plugged it all in but Vista wont display it. It shows up in the bios and the device manager but whenever I go to My Computer it isn't there?

It's a SATA drive if that makes any difference!

Ideally I would like to be able to turn my computer on and off with a remote control, is there actually any way of doing this?

With my Media Center remote I can send it in and out of sleep but what I would really like to do is get it so the fans/anything else that makes a noise stops running. I know there are different levels of sleep (S1-3) and that S4 is hibernate but I'm not really sure what the best method would be!?

I've tried telling my computer to go into hibernation when I press the sleep button but for some reason it just comes straight back out of it (I've tried disabling network cards and anything else that may be telling it to wake up). How do I go about activating the other levels of sleep and would these turn things like the fans off?

There must be some way of achieving this!?

Is this just so you can turn your PC on and off without getting out of bed/up from your sofa? :heh: pure laziness! Why back in the day we didn't have remote controllamagigs even for our telemovisions. We had to get up and WIND the tv to the next channel. And even then we only got eighteen seconds of footage per wind. My dad used to power it using a bicycle in a big wheel once every third saturday. As a treat.

Err, but ignoring that. I would say just use full on hibernation, make sure you don't move the mouse after you start it up, turn off running processes that you dont need (run > msconfig > services > tick "hide all MS" > untick some you dont need). And you can get remotes for WMC that would do the trick but... it's cheaper to buy like a wireless mouse or something.

Your window is see through at he top and the start bar is grey rather than black ?

Make sure the window you are viewing is maximised. (not just taking up the full screen but maximised using the button at the top right of the window)

Whilst avoiding doing some work a minute ago I was trying to connect my Wii to the Internet via an ad-hoc Wireless network I created. Now after about 10 minutes altering security types and codes, I've realised it's probably quite a pointless task, was just wondering if any one who's better with computers know any way that I can do this?

I'm at Uni you see and we're stuck with stinking wired internet. I'll begrudingly buy a USB adapter though, if it's not possible.

Obviously i didn't read the whole thread but did anyone around here have that damned Vista problem in which Vista can't remember the viewing settings of individual folders and changes them randomly once a day or something?

I think i fixed it but only time will tell.

The fastest Windows Vista notebook we've tested this year is a Mac. Try that again: The fastest Windows Vista notebook we've tested this year--or for that matter, ever--is a Mac. Not a Dell, not a Toshiba, not even an Alienware. The $2419 (plus the price of a copy of Windows Vista, of course) MacBook Pro's PC WorldBench 6 Beta 2 score of 88 beats Gateway's E-265M by a single point, but the MacBook's score is far more impressive simply because Apple couldn't care less whether you run Windows.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,136649-page,3-c,notebooks/article.html

Now thats wow. . .

*wait for the claim to get shot down by Jordan the cuddly*

Now thats wow. . .

I'll do the honors.

If you take a look at the other laptops they reviewed, none except the HP have a T7700 processor for example, this chart is retarded. This is the same as me saying, Ok let's compare this car with a 600HP engine and this one with a 1000HP engine. Oh, the 1000HP car is faster!

Now thats wow. . .

Those specs are pretty much the best you can get in a laptop, of course it's going to perform blindingly. I'd expect any laptop of those specs to perform pretty much the same, unless Apple are going round overclocking the things (which i seriously doubt, they'd loose the battery life claims). PC World posted that article and worded it that way for one reason, piss easy hits from Mac fans

On another note, Vista has hit 88 Million copies shipped. Failure? Yeah, course...

Those specs are pretty much the best you can get in a laptop, of course it's going to perform blindingly. I'd expect any laptop of those specs to perform pretty much the same, unless Apple are going round overclocking the things (which i seriously doubt, they'd loose the battery life claims). PC World posted that article and worded it that way for one reason, piss easy hits from Mac fans

On another note, Vista has hit 88 Million copies shipped. Failure? Yeah, course...

88 Million, after like 9 months. I'd like to see the percentage of XP users who have upgraded to Vista in this time.

88 Million, after like 9 months. I'd like to see the percentage of XP users who have upgraded to Vista in this time.

You make that sound like a bad figure. It's pretty great, thats 9 million every month; quite a few people.

You make that sound like a bad figure. It's pretty great, thats 9 million every month; quite a few people.

Compared to the number of Windows users running XP, i doubt it's an overwhelming success story. but anyway.

Compared to the number of Windows users running XP, i doubt it's an overwhelming success story. but anyway.

Thats because XP has been out for much, much longer. Of course it's going to have more people using it.

It's double what XP shipped in the same time frame after launch. Sure the market has expanded since XP launched but it hasn't doubled in size.

Why does WMP 11 give me a deeper bass with my speakers whilst iTunes make it sound a little "tinny"?

Surely it shouldn't make a difference?

They probably have differences in the equalizer, otherwise it's just a difference in the mp3 decoder, although that seems unlikely.

Why does WMP 11 give me a deeper bass with my speakers whilst iTunes make it sound a little "tinny"?

Surely it shouldn't make a difference?

Same with me Haggis, that's why I hate downloading off iTunes =/

Can anyone tell me how to get pictures of Mpeg4 icons?

I mean, look at this mpeg4loldb7.jpg

Just want them to have the same image as the others (If you see what I mean).

Anyone know how to do it? :heh:

What codecs do you have installed?

Installing FFDShow should solve all the problems.

What codecs do you have installed?

Installing FFDShow should solve all the problems.

I have combined community codec pack at the moment, I'll try FFDShow now!

EDIT: Nevermind CCCP is FFDShow xD

Whats annoying, is if I import them to Windows Movie Maker, the preview icons show up! Why can't I get them in Video section too :cry:

tutututqn5.jpg

Yeah, i think it might be one of vista's quirks.

I have a similar problem actually. http://www.soifall.net/uploader/uploads/grr.jpg

The folders with "blank" icons are actually like the moyashimon thumbnails, they're either just black or just white when you go into the folder.

A few months ago I had the exact same problem as you and it was solved when I installed CCCP and it worked. Maybe try reinstalling it? Good luck.

My Vista Business edition won't activate and i've only got a few days left.

I'm getting the error code:

0x800705B4 i think. i'll have to check next time it tries.

I checked google. But it appears i have to do something after the time runs out, i kinda want a a solution before then.