NEurope
Guest Jordan

Vista Thread

i thought that right click menu was unconfirmed/fake?

I had check other sites to see and it does look like is fake.

Windows 7 is Microsoft being a teenager and losing its self respect to peer pressure.

What is Windows 7 exactly? Is it just a refined version of Vista?

Windows 7 used to be called 'Blackcomb' and was origionally supposed to be the successor to Windows XP. Due to delays Microsoft decided to create 'Longhorn' instead, a new operating system built upon Windows XP, but including improvements, refinements and some of the features initially planned for Blackcomb.

Basically Windows 7 is the true successor to XP. It is to XP what XP was to Windows 98. Vista is more akin to Windows 2000, it's a better version of XP rather than a new OS.

What is Windows 7 exactly? Is it just a refined version of Vista?

New Windows system. Just think of as new jump from the Vista versions.

According to reports sent to TG Daily, the Milestone 1 build of Windows 7 adds support for systems using multiple heterogeneous graphics cards and a new version of Windows Media Center.

New features in Milestone 1 also reportedly include Gadgets being integrated into Windows Explorer, a Gadget for Windows Media Center, the ability to visually pin and unpin items from the Start Menu and Recycle Bin, improved media features, the XPS Essentials Pack being integrated, and a multiline Calculator featuring Programmer and Statistics modes along with unit conversion.

Reports indicate that a feedback tool included in Milestone 1 lists some coming features: the ability to store Internet Explorer settings on a Windows Live account, updated versions of Paint and WordPad, and a 10 minute install process. In addition, improved network connection tools might be included.

Device center, display, recovery center, and windows sensors had been added to control panel.

In build 6574, the Windows Security Center has been renamed the Windows Health Center, and focuses on monitoring the complete health status of the computer in a central location.

In the demonstration of Windows 7 at D6, the operating system featured multi-touch, including a virtual piano program, a mapping and directions program and a touch-aware version of Paint.

A minimalistic variation of the Windows kernel, known as MinWin, is being developed for use in Windows 7.

The MinWin development efforts are aimed towards componentizing the Windows kernel and reducing the dependencies with a view to carving out the minimal set of components required to build a self-contained kernel as well as reducing the disk footprint and memory usage.

MinWin takes up about 25 MB on disk and has a working set (memory usage) of 40 MB. It lacks a graphical user interface and is interfaced using a full-screen command line interface. It includes the I/O and networking subsystems.

MinWin was first publicly demonstrated on October 13, 2007 by Eric Traut. The demo system included an OS image, made up of about 100 files, on which a basic HTTP server was running.

Could you of not just linked me to that?

Sorry but I did linked to the wiki page of Windows 7 before but I only copied a few important infomation from the wiki page but the MinWin info isnt on the wiki page.

Lets be honest, there's nothing they can do that will please the people that bashed Vista in the first place.

Lets be honest, there's nothing they can do that will please the people that bashed Vista in the first place.

They can,if they start talking about some cool features(which they actually deliver) not and admitting where they went wrong with Vista they can get a good grassroots support thing going now. A huge proportion of Vista bashers have never tried it or just bash it because it's the cool thing to do. If MS nurture a positive feeling about W7 from here then it should do alright.

By the way, this probably won't be the final interface, the team said they'll go for something more distinctive than just Vista.

Looks a lot like Vista to me, but from what i have been reading about it, it sounds different in ways. May look into it nearer the time.

Bare in mind that Vista used to look like XP, not to mention its not out for another couple of years.

June next year i read.

When was the last time Microsoft shipped and operating system on time? :D

Looks a lot like Vista to me, but from what i have been reading about it, it sounds different in ways. May look into it nearer the time.

They'll re-do the UI near the end of the development cycle, it won't look like Vista when it's done. They'll probably continue the look of the Paint and Wordpad screenies across the whole OS.

More Window 7 news.

14ad20z.jpg

A new screenshot from a recent build of the next Windows shows that developer Microsoft is planning to incorporate more robust PC gaming functionality into its operating software.

According to an image from ThinkNext, the games startup menu in the current build of Windows 7 includes an option to automatically alert users to updates for PC games. An option box to allow Windows to auto-download "information and news about games and game providers" is also shown.

I hope microsoft build Windows 7 more secure so theirs less Spyware, Adware and viruses.

Running windows is a massive chore!

I hope microsoft build Windows 7 more secure so theirs less Spyware, Adware and viruses.

Running windows is a massive chore!

Firefox + NoScript = problem solved. Most of the leakes are in the browsers, unless you're in to downloading dodgy shiz. I used to run Spybot a couple of times a week and always got results, now i run it once a month and never have problems.

I also don't have a firewall or anti-virus. Windows firewall is sufficient and i've not been stung by a virus in years.

But yeah, i'd rather not have to do these things. It's not so much a chore, but i would rather have everything automated. Maybe set the OS up so that Anti-Virus/Spyware can be installed behind the scenes and ran on a schedule completely determined by Windows. Basically make the programs almost invisible, with no effort needed on the part of the user.

Windows 7 used to be called 'Blackcomb' and was origionally supposed to be the successor to Windows XP. Due to delays Microsoft decided to create 'Longhorn' instead, a new operating system built upon Windows XP, but including improvements, refinements and some of the features initially planned for Blackcomb.

Basically Windows 7 is the true successor to XP. It is to XP what XP was to Windows 98. Vista is more akin to Windows 2000, it's a better version of XP rather than a new OS.

Where'd you get that info? Windows XP was actually really similar to Windows 2000. Vista is the new OS here, it's really far from a refinement to XP. It seems that Windows 7 is just a refinement of Vista, like Me was to Windows 98. Let's hope that turns out better this time.

Firefox + NoScript = problem solved. Most of the leakes are in the browsers, unless you're in to downloading dodgy shiz. I used to run Spybot a couple of times a week and always got results, now i run it once a month and never have problems.

I also don't have a firewall or anti-virus. Windows firewall is sufficient and i've not been stung by a virus in years.

But yeah, i'd rather not have to do these things. It's not so much a chore, but i would rather have everything automated. Maybe set the OS up so that Anti-Virus/Spyware can be installed behind the scenes and ran on a schedule completely determined by Windows. Basically make the programs almost invisible, with no effort needed on the part of the user.

Having Anti-Virus and Spyware checker built into the OS which worked away in the background would be nice, but im sure microsoft would get into trouble for unfair competition.

And i'll check Noscript out on my brothers PC. :yay:

Where'd you get that info? Windows XP was actually really similar to Windows 2000. Vista is the new OS here, it's really far from a refinement to XP. It seems that Windows 7 is just a refinement of Vista, like Me was to Windows 98. Let's hope that turns out better this time.

I think he got it from Wiki.

In 2000 Microsoft started the planning to follow up Windows XP and its server counterpart Windows Server 2003 (both codenamed Whistler) with a major new release of Windows that was codenamed Blackcomb (both codenames refer to the Whistler-Blackcomb resort). This new version was at that time scheduled for a 2005 release.

Major features were planned for Blackcomb, including an emphasis on searching and querying data and an advanced storage system named WinFS to enable such scenarios. In this context, a feature mentioned by Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates for Blackcomb was "a pervasive typing line that will recognize the sentence that [the user is] typing in."

Later, Blackcomb was delayed and an interim, minor release, codenamed "Longhorn", was announced for a 2003 release.

By the middle of 2003, however, Longhorn had acquired some of the features originally intended for Blackcomb, including WinFS, the Desktop Window Manager, and new versions of system components built on the .NET Framework. After the 2003 "Summer of Worms", where three major viruses − Blaster, Sobig, and Welchia − exploited flaws in Windows operating systems within a short time period, Microsoft changed its development priorities, putting some of Longhorn's major development work on hold in order to develop new service packs for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 that included a number of new security and safety features. Development of Longhorn was also "reset" in September 2004 (see Mid-2004 to Mid-2005: Development "reset") as a result of concerns about the quality of code that was being introduced to the operating system. The eventual result of this was that WinFS, the Next Generation Secure Computing Base, and other features seen in some of the Longhorn builds were deemed "not ready" for wide release and as such did not appear in Longhorn when it was released as Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008.

As major feature work on Windows Vista wound down in early 2006, Blackcomb was renamed Vienna.

However, following the release of Windows Vista, it was confirmed by Microsoft on July 20, 2007 that "the internal name for the next version of the Windows Client OS" is Windows 7, a name that had been reported by some sources months before.

cp-cre.png

solution-center.png

displaysettings.png

displaysettings-2.png

displaysettings-3.png

gadget.png

ie8-1.png

ie8-2-error-message.png

ie8-3-webslice.png

ie8-4-page.png

ie8-5-safety.png

ie8-6-tools.png

ie8-7-comp.png

ie8-8-newtab.png

ie8-9-translate.png

ie8-10-searchoptions.png

ie8-11-accoptions.png

light-wmping.png

wmp.png

powershell.png

Could someone make a new topic for windows 7 and move Windows 7 posts please?