NEurope
Guest Jordan

Vista Thread

New Vista user here! Does everybody disable UAC? I have because it had started to wind me up - just wondering if that is standard around these parts?

Disabled and disabled notifications.

Why would i need it? I'm not an idiot... i want to change things on my system.

After reading why it was included in Vista in the first place i decided to leave it in place. It barely ever pops up now, it was just irritating in the initial set up bit (installing all the programs etc.)

You get used to it and it stops being annoying.

After reading why it was included in Vista in the first place i decided to leave it in place. It barely ever pops up now, it was just irritating in the initial set up bit (installing all the programs etc.)

You get used to it and it stops being annoying.

Why was it included in the first place?

Why was it included in the first place?

So you don't have software hijacking your pc.

So you don't have software hijacking your pc.

Is that likely?

I don't mind it normally but it's annoying having it come on at the startup for programs that I've asked to come on.

If you use common sense it has no use, but there's a lot of stupid people out there so Microsoft got that covered.

If you use common sense it has no use, but there's a lot of stupid people out there so Microsoft got that covered.

It still doesn't stop it from being a stupid feature...

It still doesn't stop it from being a stupid feature...

Its specially annoying after a clean install, but after installing everything it isn't as bad. And normal users don't install their software so they don't care.

With that said, mine is turned off since day one.

Basically it's there to stop you fucking up. Everyone does from time to time, even if you "know what you're doing". Without UAC an installer could easily install the program that you think it's installing as well as something malicious. If you have UAC on it will alert you that the program is doing something unexpected and ask you if it was meant to do it.

I "know what im doing" but it's saved my bacon once, so i'll be keeping it on.

There's a lot of stuff on the Vista Blogs explaining what it is and why it's there and tbh once i'd read it i figured it was probably vest to play safe and leave it on. Now that my computer is nice and set up i see it once in a blue moon.

I agree with Phee, once your all set up your only gonna see it once in a blue moon.. and as it has him.. its saved me once too so i see no reason why i should switch it off

It's not just for stupidity countermeasures. It makes it harder for a trojan or malware to control administrator parts of your system because the UAC would warn you that "something is trying to do something" and you would obviously not allow it.

It's completely useless for people that uses anti-virus but I don't use one, so I keep it on. And it's not that annoying.

Is that a laptop? If so, thats pretty good. Bare in mind scores are relative to the other parts in your machine.

I don't get people saying it only comes on once in a blue moon. I see it twice everytime I start my computer up.

I don't get people saying it only comes on once in a blue moon. I see it twice everytime I start my computer up.

I hardly ever see it.

What kind of programs load at sartup?

My Window's Experience Index is a rather un-sexy 3.1, due to my graphics chip in my laptop being, um, a graphics chip. However, it's caperble of running Rome Total War on full wack at a nice smooth 60fps, so I don't see why it's quite so low.

Oh, and as for UAC, I turned mine off as Prevx (my security software of choice) won't work with it on.

If UAC pops up every time the computer boots or is incompatable with the software you use then it's the software vendor's fault. You need to pressure them in to fixing it. If they say it is fixed and you're running the latest version then you've probably got a virus of some sort.

Either way, UAC is doing it's job by protecting your computer :)

Damn, having the UAC pop up every time you boot up your computer must be annoying. That's why I always format a new PC as soon as it comes home. I can't bear the load of bloatware the vendors put in the system.

Let us booth be late to the party, Sanchez:

1464113f70f4d49e49b72da6f646f60f9190bdb.png

The CPU keeps the score down but it's more than enough for me.

Also, late. Lacking on the RAM, but another 2GB will come soon. But still.

perform.jpg

Anyone know of a decent download/upload monitor for Vista?

I have BBC iPlayer and 4oD installed however I don't want them running at startup as they do. Problem is there's no option to stop this happening. Any help?

Start>Run "msconfig.exe" And de-select them on the start-up tab.

Also, late. Lacking on the RAM, but another 2GB will come soon. But still.

By "Another 2GB" I assume that you already have 2GB. If so, I don't think the amount of RAM has a massive impact on the score (my score is 4.5 with 1GB of RAM)