NEurope
Guest Jordan

Vista Thread

I was under the same impression as DCK.

Edit: After some reading, I come to the conclusion that Vista is indeed the true successor to XP.

Since Windows Me, every windows system has been based on the NT architecture as opposed to the Windows 9x architecture, and as it has proved, it's the best one of the two.

Windows XP is NT 5.1 and Vista is NT 6.0, and apparently Blackcomb will be using the NT architecture also, being NT 6.1. Since there's no real need for Microsoft to reinvent the wheel, and Vista has many of the initial features for Blackcomb, it seems Windows7 will be the minor update instead of Vista, if it really is released on such a short time.

Guys can you help, I'm having a weird issue with Vista which I have looked around for answers too, but haven't had much luck. When playing games, I get a weird stuttering, which makes the frame rate drop slightly, but enough to be annoying. I have taken a couple of photos of my G15 screen when I have FRAPS running as this is the best way to show you what happens:

Normal behaviour:

01102008189.jpg

(In this photo there is only one spike, the second one is a reflection).

Stuttering spike:

01102008188.jpg

I have tried disabling indexing on my hard drive and disabling the search service but neither of these things have worked.

Any other tips?

I had that issue, i had to format my HDD to get rid of it. I honestly never found out what caused it.

What's strange is that this is the second time I have had Vista, first time was when the RTM was released and I had the same problem then. I went back to XP but decided now SP1 was out it should be fixed, alas.....:(

Word is that Microsoft will be talking about a "Windows Strata" at their PGC. This is probably a new name for their previously in testing stage "Windows Cloud" or it could be the name of Windows 7.

Why has the cost of vista jumped so much? When I first got it, I paid £54 for home premium OEM from ebuyer, not even an upgrade, now I can't find it anywhere below about £80.

I know, it sucks! I needed another copy, but i'm not paying that much for it!

I'm gonna have to use "other methods" to keep me going until 7 is released (i'm talking about Linux, honest ;))

Why has the cost of vista jumped so much? When I first got it, I paid £54 for home premium OEM from ebuyer, not even an upgrade, now I can't find it anywhere below about £80.

I think its because our paper is worth a lot less than it once was, because I'm finding with a processor I've been buying forever the price has shot up by £40 since the whole credit crunch crisis.

Has anyone been playing with Vista 64? If so is the performance much greater than its 32bit brethren?

I'm planning on building a new machine to use for Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign and Lightroom. With CS4 these Apps are know 64bit so I they will be able to see my 8Gig of Ram. I usually keep Photoshop/Illustrator/Indesign open together.

After a long time Mac user im thinking of switching back, as the iMac doesn't appeal to me and the MacPro is sooo far out of my budget.

Processor - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz (OC'ed to 3Ghz)

Mobo - Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3 P45

Ram - 4Gb (2x2GB) DDR2 1066MHz x2

Graphics - ATI ASUS 2600XT 256MB GDDR3

Optical - LG Electronics Blu-Ray & HD-DVD-Rom Combo

Cooling - Thermaltake Bigwater 760i

Case - Antec P182 Mid Tower

Power - 700+ Watt PSU

Total £660

Does that lineup seem a solid system? The spec's are also compliant to EFiX's requirement to boot up OSX if I ever feel homesick I could take the plunge and buy an EFiX.

Edit: Does Vista create a link with your motherboard, so if you replace your motherboard then thats it? Or it that only the OEM version?

Has anyone been playing with Vista 64? If so is the performance much greater than its 32bit brethren?

I have Vista 64, however, I never used Vista 32 bit so I don't know if there's a difference but Vista 64 runs quite smoothly.

About your specs: the Graphics card looks pretty outdated, apart from that it's fine.

Helloooo.

I'm getting annoyed with my usual explorer windows. I have a decent set-up (with my custom columns and width) and I then apply to all folders. This doesn't apply to all folders though. And when I re-open a window the width will change back smaller. This is really starting to piss me off. Any decent programs for customising this a bit better than Windows does?

Thaaank you. Also: going from dual screen to single, some windows will be off my screen. I usuall Alt + Space then M' it. But some windows within a program (I'm talking about you 3D Studio Max) don't have the file menu and so I can't do this. Another way? Or a program that forces everything within my screen?

Yaay for help!

I was using 64-bit with my other pc before it broke and now have 32-bit, I found that 64-bit froze alot with the sidepanel, yet 32-bit doesn't and other like quirks.

Whether that's the pc or not, but considering the other pc was more than capable of handling 64bit..hmm.

Helloooo.

I'm getting annoyed with my usual explorer windows. I have a decent set-up (with my custom columns and width) and I then apply to all folders. This doesn't apply to all folders though. And when I re-open a window the width will change back smaller. This is really starting to piss me off. Any decent programs for customising this a bit better than Windows does?

Thaaank you. Also: going from dual screen to single, some windows will be off my screen. I usuall Alt + Space then M' it. But some windows within a program (I'm talking about you 3D Studio Max) don't have the file menu and so I can't do this. Another way? Or a program that forces everything within my screen?

Yaay for help!

The folder thing is a common Vista bug, and I can't understand why it hasn't been fixed by Microsoft since its really easy to do so. It involves messing a bit in the registry but I can't remember what, be back in a moment.

The folder thing is a common Vista bug, and I can't understand why it hasn't been fixed by Microsoft since its really easy to do so. It involves messing a bit in the registry but I can't remember what, be back in a moment.

Such incompetence! Since you weren't back in a moment, here's the solution:

The retention of folder views is about the only thing that I can't get working properly in Vista.

It's got to do with Vista using five folder templates for for all the folders in windows. If you right click on a folder -> properties -> customize you can see the templates. I've got it to work 95% of the time by first choosing a template type (Pictures and Videos for example) for a folder. The go into the folder, choose what layout you want under the View menu (Large Icons for example) then applying those settings to ALL folders set to use the same template by clicking Tools -> Folder Options -> View -> Apply to Folders.

So now all the folders set to use the Pics an Vids template on my system should all be showing Large Icons.

You then need to repeat for each of the template types.

It's a bit of a pain but once it's set up it should work OK. I've had problems with some folders randomly forgetting it's settings or an entire template forgetting it's settings. But it doesn't happen often.

If that happens or before you attempt to setup all the templates you can clear ALL your current folder appearance settings by deleting the following 2 registry keys:

{HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classe* s\Local

Settings\Software\Microsoft\Window* s\Shell\BagMRU}

{HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classe* s\Local

Settings\Software\Microsoft\Window* s\Shell\Bags}

Then restart, and all your folder appearance settings will be reset to default.

Convoluted, but I hope that helps.

(Thanks to BiOvOrE.)

As always, I don't take responsibility for any damage done to your registry (nor does BiOvOrE). Back it up first.

I also find it stupid that such a simple but common bug wasn't solved in the SP1.

About Windows 7, to me it looks like a Vista SP2, and a shame to Microsoft to use Vista to take all the bad rep, and when everyone has drivers and programs ready for NT 6.X then release Win 7 with a clean rep because no one will have problems with it.

And Vista will probably be knows as a Win ME 2nd version for the wrong reasons.

With my new Samsung NC10 netbook, it came with windows xp.

And I have to say, have much faster xp is compared to Vista.

I have skinned my xp to look like vista, and now I can't think of anything that I miss about Vista.

I still have Vista on my desktop, but I'm actually preferring xp now :/

You'll miss it one day... maybe at night. When you're alone and looking up at your bare ceiling... you'll come to that cold and hard realisation that you yourself are bare... you gave up your one love for a quick fix.

Or something.

Oh, and cheers Blue_Ninja0 and Shino! I guess Shino was too slow due to being a Hedgehog! HAHAHA1 *falls off chair with laughter*

*and dies*

And I have to say, have much faster xp is compared to Vista.

Windows 98 is faster than XP. What now?:smile:

*and dies*

YES! All according to plan.

I had some trouble with the music folder - I moved it to the desktop and the original has made folder after folder inside itself. I got rid of it all after backing up my music but now there is no music folder and the link from start doesnt do anything. How do I get my music folder back?

Welcome to something Letty did. You can't, you physically cannot get the specific music folder back without A) serious playing around B) Repair install of Windows.

You'll have to suck it up and just make a normal folder called music i'm afraid. Sorry :(

Bollocks. I opened iTunes and the music folder it fixed the start menu but then on my desktop music/muisc/music/music/music etc. was there and deep within it was the music folder...

Should be a relatively simple question...

Is there a startup manager for vista or do I need to install a 3rd party app?

Windows Defender, which is a part of Vista I believe. I use CCleaner, which you'll also probs have installed anyway.

Windows Defender, which is a part of Vista I believe. I use CCleaner, which you'll also probs have installed anyway.

o well I never would have thought it would be there, but so it is! Thanks for the heads up odders! ^__^

Hey people, I was wondering if anyone here was a Mac user and switched to Vista?

I'm considering making the move back to Windows after a few years of owning my Macbook, was just wondering if anyone here had done something similar and how they found it.

Hey people, I was wondering if anyone here was a Mac user and switched to Vista?

I'm considering making the move back to Windows after a few years of owning my Macbook, was just wondering if anyone here had done something similar and how they found it.

I'm thinking about doing the same thing! I have an iBook and I am desperate for an upgrade! Ideally I'd want a headless iMac. And thats not going to happen. So I'm thinking of building myself a PC, around £600 / 700 gets you a machine that not a million miles off a £1700 Mac Pro. It's been there awful updates which have annoyed me recently. The mac mini hasn't been updated in 538 days, mac pro 384 days.

The only thing stopping me switching back is the OS. Though Windows 7 is certainly looking good. How come your thinking of switching back?