NEurope
Guest Jordan

Vista Thread

Cheers man. I've got enough RAM, 2GB. I just wanted to boost it up to 4. See what difference it would make.

Doesn't work like that dude! With 2GB of ram it doesn't make a difference what USB stick you use. I get the impression that people see this ReadyBoost feature as plug&play RAM.

It works like this, when you boot up your PC, Vista stores your most used files in the PC's RAM, when the RAM is full it stores in the HDD, which is a lot more slower, what the Ready Boost thing does is instead storing stuff in the HDD it goes to your memory stick which has a faster access than HDD BUT a slower reading/writing rates, so its only useful until a file reaches a certain size, after that it's preferable to put it in the HDD.

The only advantages this brings is for people with low RAM (such as 512MB) and make sure its USB 2.0

Is there any way to make programs run slower?

I have a fairly old game, and it runs at around 50x the speed it should. I managed to complete the first level, but the 2nd is impossible.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=cpu+killer&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

Thank god you're able to reduce the thickness of those horrible borders around every window. Much better when set to 0 :)

Stupid thing... the menu that says 'file' 'edit' etc... is bugging me in light blue in every application. Is there any way of changing that? Looked in appearances but don't think I spotted it?

I'm having problems with Windows XP and can only get online right now through my phone (which costs a fortune). I need a new OS asap and am looking at Vista Premium 32bit since it's only about £70 for the OEM. I would appreciate anyone letting me know if this is a good choice asap! Just a quick "do it" or "for the love of god, don't do it" would be great. I have the system to support it (conroe 6400, 2gb ram) although I would like to keep playing all my games!

I'm having problems with Windows XP and can only get online right now through my phone (which costs a fortune). I need a new OS asap and am looking at Vista Premium 32bit since it's only about £70 for the OEM. I would appreciate anyone letting me know if this is a good choice asap! Just a quick "do it" or "for the love of god, don't do it" would be great. I have the system to support it (conroe 6400, 2gb ram) although I would like to keep playing all my games!
#

Right you deffinatly have the system to use Vista to a high standard if your XP is badly playing up I reccomend you back up what you need if you can.

If it is really really bad then chose the (I'm not sure what it is called) but basically chose the option that allows you to delete everything and basically have a brand new PC.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO IT AND GOOD LUCK!

Buy eet! Vista shouldn't cause you many headaches, less than XP anyways

I really need more than 1gig of RAM...

You noob.....

You do realise Vista need's atleast 1GB to function at least at a half decent level!

:red:

Did you just call me a noob? :|

I know but I thought I could get by with only 1. So you would suggest 2 then?

Did you just call me a noob? :|

I know but I thought I could get by with only 1. So you would suggest 2 then?

Yes I did motion :D

1GB Backed up by a Half Decent processor should make it perform better.

Of course if your processor is crap get 2GB. More ram the faster it will work but even then it's effect will be limited by the quality of your Processor...

That's alright then :D

Think my processor is P4, 3.2 or something, bout 3 years old... - will prob get a new computer in a year or so anyway.

FYI I also have 1GB And it performs great and I don't have the best processor in the world.

That's alright then :D

Think my processor is P4, 3.2 or something, bout 3 years old... - will prob get a new computer in a year or so anyway.

Whats the situation with Vista PC's do they come fully loaded with it, or with XP and with a "Vista Capable Sticker"

Do it. Home Premium is ace.

Bugger just realised my copy of Office 2007 is a beta.

Sigh, if only someone had a *cough* version of Office 2007.................

Hmm can't say I'm overly impressed with Vista so far. Looks very nice but just seems like a nice looking XP. Using up 70% of RAM as well with nothing running as well. There's 1GB in it.

Actually I think Vista's design is fugly as **** but apart from looks I like it though speed is an issue, simple tasks like opening media player classic, or firefox seems much slower than on XP.

Will probably be better when I get used to it, just hope the speed somehow improves. Thing is I've hardly installed anything so if it's slow NOW...

Actually I think Vista's design is fugly as **** but apart from looks I like it though speed is an issue, simple tasks like opening media player classic, or firefox seems much slower than on XP.

I installed Vista on my laptop, and everything was much faster than when it had XP. And it only had 512MB of RAM.

What processor though? I'm running 3.1GHz P4.

Wiped my hard disk (properly) and installed an OEM version so nothing could really have gone wrong...

Like it's been said above, throw in another gig of RAM and you should be alright. Have you tried turning off the nice things like aero glass and anything else? Maybe that will increase performance?

Yes I turned off the fugly glass effects. I'm not saying it's murderously SLOW as such, just that it's hardly fast and definately not quicker than XP. At least on my machine.

Will get another gig of ram anyway.

Is the start-up time on vista faster than XP. I assume it is. Specifically i mean the bit after you've got the desktop up, and the point that you can actual do stuff on it. . .

Is the start-up time on vista faster than XP. I assume it is. Specifically i mean the bit after you've got the desktop up, and the point that you can actual do stuff on it. . .

Clutching on straws

Clutching on straws

naw, just the pc downstairs is and has always been slow on starting-probs down to the hardware more than anything. i think it's got a 2.2GHz thing in it with 512 ram lol

naw, just the pc downstairs is and has always been slow on starting-probs down to the hardware more than anything. i think it's got a 2.2GHz thing in it with 512 ram lol

He needs 1GB ram I wouldn't of advised him to get it if he told me he only had 512!