NEurope
Guest Jordan

Vista Thread

Some links to back this up would be nice.

Lord! Just type in vista upgrade into google and hit a few links. Not hard eh?

When vista came out there was loads of stories with driver recognitioon problems, systems just crashing mid install, systems that the advisor said would run vista fine didn't etc etc.

Don't tell me during this time you lived under a rock?

I hope for the sake of people who are wanting to upgrade to vista that these problems don't exist anymore. but i'm more inclined to think that they're still knocking about.

But what do i care anyway?!

Takeo, that was when it was first released. I've had no problems with mine, no crashes, all updates have installed perfectly. Granted it took my laptop a while to load because of the amount of tihs on it.

I wondered what that (Windows.old) was the first time I scanned over the new stuff.

I didn't think of checking it, thinking it was important stuff but looking at my HDD, 79GB left of 200GB I was wondering I havn't got that much stuff, or even downloading that much.

I find music, cookies, program files.

Jeez, 7..8 ..9..21...25GB. lol

Lord! Just type in vista upgrade into google and hit a few links. Not hard eh?

When vista came out there was loads of stories with driver recognitioon problems, systems just crashing mid install, systems that the advisor said would run vista fine didn't etc etc.

Don't tell me during this time you lived under a rock?

I hope for the sake of people who are wanting to upgrade to vista that these problems don't exist anymore. but i'm more inclined to think that they're still knocking about.

But what do i care anyway?!

You care enough to reply.

The fact is that when you make that kind of statement you normally back it up with some links. But I see your tactic is to tell people to find them themselves and that they've been living under a rock. Good tactic.

Some links to back this up would be nice.

Sigh.

Comprehensive MacBook Pro Complaint List (Ordered by Annoyance Factor)

Screen-related buzzing at all but highest brightness. This has become the biggest complaint because it’s also the loudest distraction. And it kicks in whenever the computer decided in its power-savings, or I decide in my blindedness, to reduce the screen’s brightness. When I’m working quietly, I have to put the screen at maximum brightness, or I can’t concentrate. That’s annoying. Fixability Factor: should be fixed by replacing faulty screen inverter.

Screen-related high-pitched squeal. This started much later than all the other complaints, but is also unbearable. The squeal begins reliably after some short period of working in silence, and goes away promptly at the slightest adjustment of the screen’s tilt. Is it related to the inverter flaw above? Who knows. This one happens even when the screen is at highest brightness. Fixability Factor: may go away if the above problem is fixed.

CPU Whine. The classic. The only good things about this bug are that it’s maskable by various power-guzzling workarounds, and that it’s barely noticeable when one of the insanely loud noises above is being emitted by the machine. Best theories so far suggest the problem is a flaw in the power supply, which vibrates in response to fluctuating power draw and produces audible noises. The most recent shipping units seem less likely to exhibit the problem, though it seems some are still squeaking (heh, heh) by. I’ve never read of or heard of anybody who has sent a machine in for repair and had the whine fixed, though I have heard from several who have received replacement units with no whine. Fixability Factor: I’m guessing it’s 100% fixable but perhaps a 10% or less chance a defective unit will actually come back fixed.

Mooing Madness.The extremely sporadic mooing problem is usually either absolutely present are or absolutely absent. I am pretty sure it has to do with the heat of the machine, with gives credence to the idea that it’s a cooling fan repeatedly firing up and spinning down. It’s wrong, whatever it is. Fixability Factor: it seems like an obvious flaw in either the power management software or in an electrical connection to that fan. If it is a fan, that is. I’m holding out for 50/50 chance of fix.

White Noise. As we move down into the “far less problematic, but still annoying” ranks, we have the issue of the 100% active left fan. While the mooing noise almost sounds as if it’s a fan that can’t quite get started, the subtle white noise that emanates from the left side of the machine seems more like a fan that will never shut off. Perhaps the computer runs hot enough that always running a fan is the way to handle things. UPDATE: Chris Liscio chimes in with information suggesting that the Seagate hard drive is responsible for this noise. How can he be so confident? He observed a similar sound from his iBook, starting when he replaced the original hard drive with a similar Seagate. Case closed, as far as I’m concerned! Fixability Factor: Assuming it’s the hard drive, anybody who is really bothered by this constant, very quiet white noise can probably find another hard drive that doesn’t exhibit the same trait.

Hot, Hot, Hot! Perhaps related to the always-on fan is the fact that the machine gets very hot. So hot that I can’t hold it on my lap. I thought this might be a side-effect of 2.0Ghz of dual core power, and maybe it is. But some have reported that the heat issue is less significant in later revisions. If so, I might as well point out that ideally I’d like to be able to put this laptop in my lap. Fixability Factor: if the always-on fan and the can’t start fan are signs of underlying cooling problems, it might explain why the machine is frequently hotter than a fresh biscuit. Vague hope for a fix.

Track, Damn Trackpad! This is one I hadn’t noticed until I started trying to do more long working sessions at the MacBook Pro. Frequently I find myself unable to move the mouse for a few seconds as the trackpad apparently becomes unresponsive to my movement. I don’t know if this is a wacky side-effect of the way I use the pad, or what. I’ve never had this problem on another Mac laptop, but perhaps it’s somehow related to the “two finger scrolling” feature, which I quite like. Fixability Factor: given my extremely negative experience with the Mighty Mouse, I suspect it’s possible that Apple is simply studying users who don’t expect pointing devices to behave the way I do. If that’s the case, perhaps I just have to learn to live with it.

Bright Spots. No, this isn’t the optimistic change of tune you might have been hoping for. My display has bright spots. Literally. The bottom left and right corners are slightly brighter than the rest of the display. Not a big deal, but a “sub-perfection” observation. My only concern would be if the brightness is an early warning that the magnetics in the speakers are not being properly shielded from the display. Does it even work that way on an LCD, though?Fixability Factor: don’t care that much but suspect that another screen might happen to be better (or worse).

Sweeping Broom Noise? Is this is a new UI effect, or yet another aural anomaly? I sometimes upon starting up my machine hear a sort of crashing/broom-sweeping noise. It only seems to happen when power cycling, but it’s disconcerting. One reader has reported a “rattlesnake noise” which might be the same. Anyway, this barely bothers me at all because it’s confined to a specific period of time, but I’m slightly worried it is the tip of a problem that will develop into something more omnipresent. Fixability Factor: shrug - I’m in the dark here.

Airport Flakiness. Here we are at the very rock-bottom list of my complaints. This is the least of all complaints, but it’s something I haven’t noticed before on my other Macs. It’s basically guaranteed that every other time I click on the Airport menu bar item, it will be empty of stations. I have to click it again to see the list (sometimes quite numerous) of stations in my immediate vicinity. Note this is not the same as the “doesn’t reconnect after sleeping” issue, which I fixed by making a new “location” in Network Preferences from scratch. This issue doesn’t affect connectivity at all but is just a nuisance when trying to make an initial connection. This has mostly annoyed me on my recent week-long vacation to various points west of the Rockies. Fixability Factor: suspect it may be fixable in software, as other wireless detection software such as AirTrafficControl seems to maintain a more consistent view of the wireless world.

http://digg.com/apple/Tell_Apple_to_Fix_MacBook_Pro_Problems

http://www.macnn.com/articles/06/04/04/macbook.pro.issues.solved/

http://www.macintouch.com/reliability/macbooks.html

http://www.red-sweater.com/blog/113/macbook-pro-the-whining-user

Looks like I'll be building a new PC + Vista in a month or two. What advantages does Ultimate have over Home Premium?

Have a look here

• Windows Fax and Scan
  • Protect against hardware failure
  • Easier remote access for your business
  • Better protect your data

All pointless unless you like to send faxes XD Save a few bob by going for home premium

only problems I've had have been with nvidia's crap drivers. thats it.

vista is great.

Vista is awesome, as long as you go by the instructions and what or what it is not compatible with it will be a pleasent experience.

Anyone who cries over how bad Vista is probably has a Mac....

Vista is great

Vista horror stories = mac propaganda

No. All i was doing was fucking hoping that the unfortunate things that have befallen many people before did not befall you. Jesus. I'll watch my tongue next time i try to be nice.

Vista is awesome, as long as you go by the instructions and what or what it is not compatible with it will be a pleasent experience.

Anyone who cries over how bad Vista is probably has a Mac....

Vista is great

I didn't try to make that statement, let alone actually type it out. I've said many times before that vista is better for some people than OS X.

Now. Leave this god damn fucking impossible to end can of worms alone for the sake of this thread.

next time i try to be nice.

"Try to stir something up."

*huggles Takeo* Let's leave it at your post anyways.

I do use my scanner quite a lot, but I suppose there are plenty of third party programs out there to take care of that. Home Premium it is then. I'll by 5000 penny sweets with the money saved!

No. All i was doing was fucking hoping that the unfortunate things that have befallen many people before did not befall you. Jesus. I'll watch my tongue next time i try to be nice.

Wasn't talking about you, I meant that most of the Vista problems that mac spout is propaganda.

I do use my scanner quite a lot, but I suppose there are plenty of third party programs out there to take care of that. Home Premium it is then I'll by 5000 penny sweets with the money saved!

Methinks you owe me 1 of those sweets XD

I am getting Business with my new dell (it was the only one on offer)

Planning to clean wipe it all and put on my ultimate but I dont think Dell send out window reinstall DVDs anymore. Anyone know?

I didn't try to make that statement, let alone actually type it out. I've said many times before that vista is better for some people than OS X.

Now. Leave this god damn fucking impossible to end can of worms alone for the sake of this thread.

What I said wasn't aimed at you, It was just something I mean in general.

Vista gets undeserved bad press my PC runs 10x faster on Vista then it did XP and continues to do so, it suits my needs, granted installation took me a few hours but I have rarely had problems with it that haven't been resolved with logical thinking. From Gaming to music, internet to doccum

I think if Motion goes about it the right way then he will find Vista a piece of piss to install.

Erm... what has Mac got anything to do with what I was talking about?

I asked for some links about Vista being so hard to install...

Some of them are on a wind up, Man if you like Vista you like Vista don't let anyone change your mind...

My moms getting a laptop with Vista on this week. I'll probably have to show her how to do everything so I'll get a good idea of how stuff works in it. Looking forward to having a play around with it actually.

My moms getting a laptop with Vista on this week. I'll probably have to show her how to do everything so I'll get a good idea of how stuff works in it. Looking forward to having a play around with it actually.

I've only seen Vista on 3 laptops, but I was disappointed with the speed on those.

Erm... what has Mac got anything to do with what I was talking about?

I asked for some links about Vista being so hard to install...

Quoted the wrong person but there point was "macs arent without problems if not bigger problems"

I've only seen Vista on 3 laptops, but I was disappointed with the speed on those.

I have ultimate on a mobility radeon x600 with 60gb HD and 1GB with (2gb of readyboost) and it runs dandy

Full effects, flip 3D, Sidebar, Shadows etc etc

Good speed and I run media player, opera and wow at the same time :)

I have ultimate on a mobility radeon x600 with 60gb HD and 1GB with (2gb of readyboost) and it runs dandy

Does ReadyBoost really help much? Is there a noticeable difference between having it and not?

Pretty much but you are looking at a smaller seek time due to it being flash memory instead of a spinning drive.

If you are like me and load the same programs a lot, then when you remove the pen you can definitely tell. (2~4 seconds maybe)

Pretty much but you are looking at a smaller seek time due to it being flash memory instead of a spinning drive.

If you are like me and load the same programs a lot, then when you remove the pen you can definitely tell. (2~4 seconds maybe)

Oh right, so it's a USB stick (does it have to be a special type?) which works as pagefile/RAM?

Oh right, so it's a USB stick (does it have to be a special type?) which works as pagefile/RAM?

Kind off, it's usefull only with smaller files.

Flying around google there is a site which lists compatible USB flash drive. The feature also works with SD cards but only those fast enough works (in both respects). At least USB 2.0.

The 2gb one I have is a buffalo make from amazon (it has a blue shell around it and looks compact (cant be arsed to link atm xD))

I have a crappy 256mb memory stick and even that makes a difference.

Vista Ultimate running on my laptop: 1.6ghz AMD Turion X2 64, 1GB ram, nVidia 6100 Go! (with a shitty 64mb dedicated RAM so it eats my normal ram like nuts).

Runs with no problems, generally.