NEurope
Guest Jordan

Vista Thread

Well I've got a Mac so I wont be using Vista at home, but I hope that work upgrades (although they wont).

Thanks Bogbas for your help.

I've decided I'm gunna go for the OEM.

I think that money would be better spent on more RAM & such. But to each to their own I guess.

Seems like a lot of you are going to get it. Can you post why ?:blank:

Never thought Microsoft did things so properly. And they listened to Apple! Two years ago Apple advertised 'Tiger' with 'Redmund, start your photocopiers'. Now, in the end, I notice that they have color-phorocopiers and they made the system actually look good.

But to be honest, is it a necessary upgrade after Windows XP? XP did things 'properly' (as far as Microsoft can do things properly) and Vista does the same things, only enhanced and you need a way-to-powerfull computer for it. But I have to hand it to them: it's racking up to be a great system. I've being following it's development closely and was happy when they revealed AERO. I'm a graphic designer, so the innards are what I don't care about, but the outside it outstanding for now. I'm pretty sure it has the right innards - kidneys on it's place and a heart that learned to pump - and it looks good. Most people will be rgabbing this update from the shelves the coming months, but honestly, it's mostly ripped off macOs X and it's way to expensive and comes in way to many types. Home Premium and Business? Ultimate? There are seven types, of wich at least four could have just bein thrown in the dust-bin for reasons oh-so-obvious: Home Standard is worthless, it got nothing from Vista in it except the bare essentials. it's like stripping everyone's spare kidneys, one testicle and a leg and an arm. plunging out an eye and cutting of an ear. nothing double that could be usefull has being discarded.

It's racking up to be a great thing. just don't be trapped by the choice. it's obviously there to make the usefull edition worth it's price...

Vista is way too expensive for me. I might buy it with my laptop for university, but if that's going to be a MacBook Pro (I hope it is), I might not even do that. All its real added value is that games run on it. Maybe if I find it somewhere though... *Laughs maniacally*

I think that money would be better spent on more RAM & such. But to each to their own I guess.

Seems like a lot of you are going to get it. Can you post why ?:blank:

I don't see the need in any more than 2 gigs of ram atm.....

And why I want Vista. Partially because I'm bored with xp. Also I love the Aero thing and the new interface. Yeah it sounds stupid but ack I'm gettin it.

What kinna graphics spec is required for this? I'll probably get my hands on a copy off my dad's work, fingers crossed. If it sucks it may be the push i need to install the ubuntu cd thats been sitting on my desk for the past month.

As long as you don't want Aeroglass, the minimum requirements are pretty low.

1.6ghz processor

512mb ram

should handle Vista.

As long as you don't want Aeroglass, the minimum requirements are pretty low.

1.6ghz processor

512mb ram

should handle Vista.

And we all know how systems run like when you're only just hitting the minimal requirements. I.E, not very well.

I won't be upgrading until late this year. And I won't be doing so until I've got 3GB's of ram with the sort of programs I have to run together.

1gb without any memory heavy programs should be fine for Vista too but I'm pretty sure 2gb is the sweet spot for Vista especially if you play those memory hogging games that they are nowadays.

My processor is min spec, my graphics card is fine. I just wanna buy another 1gb memory stick to take it to 1.5gb

Even if I used XP (which is shit enough in itself) which I don't, I would not upgrade for at least a couple of years, Vista is full of hidden quirks that are ultimately shit to the user.

I would upgrade to Vista.

But... then I remember I'm sane.

...I often forget I'm sane...

Does that make me insane?

I made my pc in the summer to be able to run Vista. But after doing my research I'm not sure I want it yet. And I'm definitely not going to pay those prices for it. I shall wait and see if my University can sort me a copy, I'm running XP Pro thanks to the Unviersity, and I didn't pay squit for it.

I'll get it, but don't know if it's wise to replace XP right now.

The family pc has enough trouble running xp at the moment so I'll give this a miss for the next few years.

My Specs:

1.8GHz Processor

512MB RAM.

Runs Vista fine. It's a lot quicker to load than XP, too. Only "problem" I have with my specs is that If I open a few programs, than a high-memory program (photoshop, for instance) than said program (photoshop) will be given the basic theme, keeping the rest as Aero Glass, to save memory. The Snipping Tool is quite useful, too. About time Windows had that.

edit: It's seems to be much more stable than XP, too.

Don't forget you need to upgrade your card to make use of DX10 when it comes out.. I on the other hand may need to get 2 gig kit (1gb x2) seeing as my machine runs faster with 2 sticks rather than 4. That plus the new GFX card and Vista means I've got to pay alot to just play the next gen of PC gaming. And it's not guaranteed that it will work flawlessly.

Not after Vista for gaming, just as a more stable/secure/better looking OS to dual boot with XP. I gave up on PC gaming a while ago, Battlefield 2 was the last. My laptops 64MB X700 can only just handle that...

Was keeping XP because of Vista's DRM, if it started causing me problems i could just reboot and load XP

Okay, so i bit the bullet.

I made the move, things aren't... exactly quick and my machine ain't that slow.

Athlon 64 3800+

2GB ram

X800 XTPE graphics card.

Okay, so i bit the bullet.

I made the move, things aren't... exactly quick and my machine ain't that slow.

Athlon 64 3800+

2GB ram

X800 XTPE graphics card.

Nice.

Wait a minute.

REWIND THE FOOTAGE, SAM

Also, Vista is a DRM piece of shit. I'm sticking with XP x64 till i am fucking forced over.
Ahh. REWIND IT AGAIN.
Also, Vista is a DRM piece of shit. I'm sticking with XP x64 till i am fucking forced over.
REWIND IT AGAIN!
REWIND IT AGAIN, LAST TIME, I JUST NEED TO CHECK IT OVER
ALRIGHT THAT LOOKS GOOD, REWIND IT AGAIN AND THAT'S A WRAP

You know Mike, you don't have to take the piss every time i ever change my mind on anything... the fact is i'm trying the OS because 1, i had a copy lying around and 2, i needed a format.

This OS so far, is bloody sluggish...

Also, 360 Media Extender is a damn joke, for so many reasons.