NEurope

I'll wait for the official update then, good to know they're actually sorting one out!

How does this sound for the Desire:

£30 for 18 months - Free Phone, 600 mins, 500 Text, Unlimited Internet + 1 free booster of my choosing.

That's if I choose to keep my number.

If I take a new one, then I can forgo the additional booster in favour of the £40 cash back.

It's effectively the same offer as on T-Mobiles site except I'm not paying £122 for the phone.

That does sound like a good deal Cap. The only network you should stay away from with the desire is Orange. Phone gets filled with crapware and custom skins, and also some apps are removed and hidden from the market place.

I haven't really been able to find any comparable deals, as the prices have sky rocketed since the desire has gone up in popularity. ( I don't even know how considering no advertising)

But word of mouth is making this a wanted ( was going to say desirable) phone. Also although not natively on the phone you can hack on google maps turn by turn navigation, which got me to my meeting in London this morning. And also voice search which works pretty well. I would say go for it in case the deal vanishes.

There are billboard adverts for it.

I do still kind of want it/a new phone but I know I don't need one/can't afford it.

Vodaphone have been ringing me and I feel really bad because she's really nice but I keep putting her off. Was at work first, then at the pub, then on the train. £20/month 300 mins unlimited text and net for the Legend which is good but...hmm. I don't know. Canne make my mind up.

That does sound like a good deal Cap. The only network you should stay away from with the desire is Orange. Phone gets filled with crapware and custom skins, and also some apps are removed and hidden from the market place.

I haven't really been able to find any comparable deals, as the prices have sky rocketed since the desire has gone up in popularity. ( I don't even know how considering no advertising)

But word of mouth is making this a wanted ( was going to say desirable) phone. Also although not natively on the phone you can hack on google maps turn by turn navigation, which got me to my meeting in London this morning. And also voice search which works pretty well. I would say go for it in case the deal vanishes.

I tried ringing the place back last night but their lines had closed. They rang me this morning though and after confirming the details again, I've gone for it.

They've stock due in on Monday and said I should expect delivery about Thursday.

There are billboard adverts for it.

I do still kind of want it/a new phone but I know I don't need one/can't afford it.

Vodaphone have been ringing me and I feel really bad because she's really nice but I keep putting her off. Was at work first, then at the pub, then on the train. £20/month 300 mins unlimited text and net for the Legend which is good but...hmm. I don't know. Canne make my mind up.

Ash next time they call say you'll take the offer there and then if they offer you a free desire instead.

And welcome to the club CF you will not regret it

So I want a new phone, but I have no idea about phones.

I already have an iPod touch, so the iPhone is out. Also because of the iPod, I'm not too worried about app stuff. The things I do want are internet anywhere, a good camera, good sound quality (my hearing is awful as is, I need the phone to help me out not make things worse!) and a good battery life. My phone bill atm is £10 a month, for some 200minutes and 400 texts. Preferably I'd get unlimited texts / internet, but I don't need much in the way of minutes... if it could remain sub £20 a month, that would be good.

Erm...I think thats about all the info I can provide. So! What phones are around that fit my criteria?

I also wish I could get the legend or desire (preferably desire but it's so expensive at the mo). Out of interest Ashley, how many months long was that contract that they were offering? I am also currently on Vodafone and if they offered me that deal on a 12 or 18 month contract I may well take it. If it were a 24 month contract I probably wouldn't because I always look at the overall price and £20 for 24months is £480, which is more than you pay for the cheapest contract for a desire.

So I want a new phone, but I have no idea about phones.

I already have an iPod touch, so the iPhone is out. Also because of the iPod, I'm not too worried about app stuff. The things I do want are internet anywhere, a good camera, good sound quality (my hearing is awful as is, I need the phone to help me out not make things worse!) and a good battery life. My phone bill atm is £10 a month, for some 200minutes and 400 texts. Preferably I'd get unlimited texts / internet, but I don't need much in the way of minutes... if it could remain sub £20 a month, that would be good.

Erm...I think thats about all the info I can provide. So! What phones are around that fit my criteria?

Why don't you sell your iPod touch and get an iPhone? That way you only need one device rather than carrying two, and you can keep all your apps and music etc. Mind you, now's not the best time to buy an iPhone since the new model may be out in a couple of months time.

Ash next time they call say you'll take the offer there and then if they offer you a free desire instead.

And welcome to the club CF you will not regret it

Well she rang back again on Wednesday but I had left my phone charging upstairs and she hasn't rung back since. Maybe she thinks I was avoiding the call as if to say "I don't want it..." Hmm.

I also wish I could get the legend or desire (preferably desire but it's so expensive at the mo). Out of interest Ashley, how many months long was that contract that they were offering? I am also currently on Vodafone and if they offered me that deal on a 12 or 18 month contract I may well take it. If it were a 24 month contract I probably wouldn't because I always look at the overall price and £20 for 24months is £480, which is more than you pay for the cheapest contract for a desire.

24 month.

Why don't you sell your iPod touch and get an iPhone? That way you only need one device rather than carrying two, and you can keep all your apps and music etc. Mind you, now's not the best time to buy an iPhone since the new model may be out in a couple of months time.

See I'd understand this notion if phones and ipods were huge and difficult to carry around but...

Plus I can charge my ipod once a week (and I use it for a good 6 or so hours on a weekday), but if it was my phone too I'd forever be charging. And there's nothing worse than having no music on public transport. NOTHING.

It is more convenient, but I don't see having two devices as being inconvenient.

Edited by Ashley

Yeah I'm quite happy with the touch. My main concern with the iPhone is the camera being rubbish, and I like to have a good one on my phone since I don't own a proper camera, let alone have one on me at all times.

Edit: Oh, and Flash would be another nice thing to have if possible, which obviously the iPhone doesn't offer.

Edited by Gizmo

The camera on the iPhone 3GS actually looks fairly decent. Not great but certainly better than the 3G. Now that is rubbish.

But the new model is meant to have a much higher quality camera on it, with a flash, and tap to focus on photos and video.

If you want a decent camera on a phone, than a Nokia and Sony Ericsson are the ones to look at. Unfortunately, both mainly use the outdated Symbian OS.

If you want a great camera and great phone in one, then the Xperia X10 is probably one of the few choices.

Yeah I'm quite happy with the touch. My main concern with the iPhone is the camera being rubbish, and I like to have a good one on my phone since I don't own a proper camera, let alone have one on me at all times.

Edit: Oh, and Flash would be another nice thing to have if possible, which obviously the iPhone doesn't offer.

The new iPhone is going to have a much better camera with a flash. Will probably be out around June.

Also, what are you actually going to use Flash for? You can get YouTube on the iPhone and stupid flash games will barely work on a phone, will they?

I've tried a few flash games on my desire and they work well enough. Best thing about flash on android is in the words of Steve Balmer:

"DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS."

But also youtube is becoming quite crap and the hammer is coming down on a lot of classics meme's a jokes such as all the downfall vids being taken down. But the ability to watch any flash based video from my phone is a nice prospect. I'm personally waiting for the ability to watch tv catchup and stumble video. Also the prospect of hulu has got people in the US quite happy.

As for a flash on the phone camera, I won't go there but I there is one on my ancient D600

Edited by Ten10

I'm thinking of selling my n900 and getting an android phone instead...sorely tempted by the sim free HTC Desire for just £400 from play.com

Not saying the N900 is a bad handset. But the HTC Desire is currently the best handset on the market. Not to say it doesn't have some faults which I'd say have been addressed in the release of the incredible. For example the touch screen controller only officially supports 2 points of contact, which can be addressed with software. And also the phone would have been better with dual speakers. Mainly these are nit pickings. Overall the desire is top notch.

wots the desire like for music etc...most frustrating thing about n900 is no decent solution to music syncing etc...its always not finding things etc...thank god for gpodder for catching podcasts. you can get the desire for 400 sim free from amazon...at very least can get 200 for n900 at mazumamobile but likely sell for more on ebay.

I've never actually used music syncing - I just do it all manually.

However, using the sync options in most media players (Windows Media Player, iTunes, Winamp) will work fine, and you don't need to tell the music player to look for the new music (it will find it on it's own).

Whats the difference between the Nexus One, the HTC Desire, and the HTC Legend?

Whats the difference between the Nexus One, the HTC Desire, and the HTC Legend?

The HTC Desire is the Nexus One with HTC Sense (which is a brilliant visual interface) and some great HTC-only apps.

The HTC Legend is a lower-powered HTC Android phone.

I think there are some other small hardware differences between the Nexus One and the Desire too. (trackball -> optical, more ram, etc)

You're right with the small hardware things. I forgot about the optical joystick. I would guess that the small amount of ram would be cancelled out by the extra power used by Sense UI. Which from a positive perspective would mean that you get the better UI without any performance impact.

So the desires the one to get then? Is there any chance of getting that on a ~£20 contract without having to pay a fortune for the handset?