NEurope

Yeah no worries. If you have any questions just ask and I'll try to answer them :P

Edited by Sooj

I'm contemplating a LG InTouch Max (partially because I've wanted a QWERTY slider for years) but its apparently Android 1.5. Anyone know if it can be upgraded to 2.0? Or can anyone point me in the direction of a place to find out? Had a google around but can't really see anything, but then I don't know where to look. Cheers.

I think it's a no for the InTouch Max, all depends on whether or not it sells well and LG decide they want to upgrade it. Had a look around and there doesn't seem to be any kind of hacking community for the phone, so it's unlikely to gain any updates by other means.

HTC and Motorola are the two best bets for Android devices really, they been working closely with Google on their handsets and definitely have updates in the works for all/most of their handsets.

Hmm well its not like I am interested in an Android phone per say, but that one caught my eye and reading around people said its 1.5 and just curious.

Thanks though :)

Had a look around and there seem to be no custom ROMs for the InTouch.

I presume that's what I was asking about... cluelessness and all that :p

Cheers dude :)

The Desire is the current one to watch. With full Flash 10.1 support, and more RAM than the Nexus One, it pretty much rapes face

The HTC Desire is looking nice. Not cheap though, 24 mo contracts have suddenly become the norm, for a smartphone many places aren't even offering 12 months anymore. Even with all that tech under the bonnet of the HTC, there'll probably have been 2 new iPhones in 2 years time, who knows what realm of advancements. Even the Nexus/Pre etc will probably look ancient. 24 month contracts in such a fast moving world is madness.

To be fair, the Apple approach is worse. They're 18 month contracts, but they update every year and just keep you stuck in. It just gives the guise of a 12 month contract but its FOR LIFE.

And 24 contracts are the norm across the board, not just smart phones.

mobilephonesdirect have it on T-Mobile at £25/month for 18 months + £5.99 for the handset. You get 300 mins, 300 texts and Web&Walk, or 600 mins, 500 texts and W&W on a 24 month contract. Not a bad price, actually beats buying handset only!

Still no hardware QWERTY though. The iPhone has taught me that touchscreen keyboards are a crap idea. It's not that it's difficult to type on, it's the loss of screen space to the keyboard. Not being able to see what your typing properly because the keyboard is in the way (or not being able to re-read whatever you're replying to) is lame.

It's not that it's difficult to type on, it's the loss of screen space to the keyboard. Not being able to see what your typing properly because the keyboard is in the way (or not being able to re-read whatever you're replying to) is lame.

The HTC Hero leaves enough space to see what you're typing properly and lets you re-read messages. It also has a handy button that hides the keyboard (something I couldn't figure out how to do on the iPhone). The predictive text is also amazing - you can miss-hit quite a few keys and it still works out what you're trying to say most of the time.

Windows phone 7 series just lost itself as an option for me. Too 1st gen iphone restrictive for my liking. Considering the HTC desire too but I'm gonna have to check the spec sheet. Milestone just seems impossible to find and the Motoroi doesn't look it it wants to leave Korea.

mobilephonesdirect have it on T-Mobile at £25/month for 18 months + £5.99 for the handset. You get 300 mins, 300 texts and Web&Walk, or 600 mins, 500 texts and W&W on a 24 month contract. Not a bad price, actually beats buying handset only!

I can't see it for £25? You are talking about the HTC Desire right?

I see it. You have to select "View All Plans" rather than "View Top 10 Plans."

Ah yes. Hm those deals are all decent but not amazing. There are other combos I'd rather do... Like pay more for the handset and get a combo like 300 min/600 txt/Unlimited web for £25/mo.

Considering the HTC desire too but I'm gonna have to check the spec sheet.

It's essentially the Nexus One, but with slightly more RAM so it can run HTC Sense without affecting it's speed.

The predictive text is also amazing - you can miss-hit quite a few keys and it still works out what you're trying to say most of the time.

I've found it can be a little sloppy with civil engineering technical terms. :heh:

More seriously, the HTC Hero is an awesome phone, and my sole compliant is that faster models are coming out in the near future, whilst I wont be able to update until, ooh, July '11. Still, with decent use of the Taskiller app, it's fast enough for my purposes, and the ever expanding range of games* and apps has made me an Android convert. Well, I say convert, I wasn't really pro-anything in particular before...

*Nokia and iPhone have Angry Birds. It's insanely addictive, and I want the alleged Android port to hurry up!

Windows phone 7 series just lost itself as an option for me. Too 1st gen iphone restrictive for my liking. Considering the HTC desire too but I'm gonna have to check the spec sheet. Milestone just seems impossible to find and the Motoroi doesn't look it it wants to leave Korea.

Try checking Carphone Warehouse for the Milestone. They started stocking it at the start of the month.

Gonna jump on the WinPho bandwagon in September I think. I'm sure there'll be teething problems, but so far it's basically a list of what I'd want to see in a phone. The iPhone has pretty much killed off my "no multitasking" worries, it only annoys me with Spotify (which I'd dump for Zune Pass anyway). I grabbed the dev tools today and they're pretty good, best I've used for a mobile device anyways. I might pick up the HTC Legend in the meantime, it's the only thing out that actually looks in any way interesting (can't really say the Desire appeals to me tbh).

I might pick up the HTC Legend in the meantime, it's the only thing out that actually looks in any way interesting (can't really say the Desire appeals to me tbh).

I really love the WP7S UI, and it would easily integrate with pretty much every device I own, PC, laptop, xbox. But I don't think I can wait until its release to delay getting a new phone.

On the Legend over desire front McPhee. Are there any reasons why you prefer this device over the desire (just out of interest) as it seems it only adds style for what it lacks in brute strength:

HTC Legend vs. Desire vs. Nexus one

On the Legend over desire front McPhee. Are there any reasons why you prefer this device over the desire (just out of interest) as it seems it only adds style for what it lacks in brute strength:

HTC Legend vs. Desire vs. Nexus one

I don't like the Desire. It's a spec sheet in a rather unappealing case that's too thin to fit an adequate battery inside.

The Legend looks great, apparently feels well made (going on impressions from people I know who used it at CeBIT), has good battery life and it's still a powerful phone. I get the impression HTC actually though about this one.

Edited by McPhee

Whats web browsing like on non touch phones these days?

Looking to change back to a nontouch, but the last time I had one it was a bloomin nightmare trying to navi sites!

(in particular samsung tocco ultra blue)

Tocco ultra is half and half isn't it? Has touchscreen elements I'm sure...

Tocco ultra is half and half isn't it? Has touchscreen elements I'm sure...

so it does... (d'oh!) :D

Can anyone recommend any really good non-smartphones in the £15-20/mo region? (handset cost not a factor)