Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Football Season 2007/2008

flameboy

if this is going to happen, i don't think it should be a competitive premier league match. it is purely for financial reasons so why not create some kind of money-spinning knock-out competition akin to the FA or league cup but on a much smaller scale (maybe the top 4 or 8 teams in the prem, this gives the foreign fans what they want as very few would be interested in seeing derby or wigan), then it doesn't interfere with the league, which would be totally wrong.

it could be called the: 'FA Premier League International Cup'

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty outraged but cannot say it surprises me. We have been having the Premiership Asia Trophy (which Pompey are the holders of!) for the past few years and this coupled with other teams visits to America etc... is proving to be lucrative and it was only a matter of time before the Premiership took notice and fancied a slice of the cake, they are just money chasers as is evident by how little they pass down to grassroots and how the rich just keep getting richer everyday!

I think the idea is slightly flawed as I hear the top 5 teams are seeded so it means that some of the relegation battlers could end up with easier fixtures whilst some could be drawn against top 5 teams, meaning we will end up with people saying if only we'd be drawn Derby and not Man Utd we could have won and stayed up... Also are "fans" really going to flock to see teams other the ones who are playing the top 4 I doubt it.

As for the timing of the fixtures I reckon either have them near the beginning (not at the beginning though, travesty having the first day in japan or something) or in the middle if they have this game at the end that would be a fucking nightmare imagine wanting to go to see your team try and escape relegation or having to win to get to europe or win the title and having to go halfway round the world. It is sad that we have reached this stage but it comes as no surprise.

In other news;

Premier League clubs will be allowed to name seven substitutes in matches from the start of next season.

The change was suggested by Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy last year and replicates the regulations in European and international games.

The Premier League agreed to discuss the issue, amid concerns that it would favour clubs with big squads.

Premier League voting rules require 14 out of the 20 member clubs to back any suggested rule changes.

Coaches are currently restricted to naming five substitutes, and are able to use a maximum of three of them.

But Levy told his club's official website: "We have promoted and lobbied for this rule change for some time and we are absolutely delighted our proposal was supported by member clubs.

606: DEBATE

Your thoughts on the change

"It is important to give our managers greater choice on the bench, enabling them to be more creative tactically.

"That was the objective behind us bringing this proposal to the table.

"Additionally, it should also mean that younger players from the academy can be given an opportunity to break into the first team."

I don't see no harm in 7 subs on the bench, as long as it stays only 3 on. A lot of clubs do it in Uefa competitions and other leagues seem to do it fine.

These sort of changes are what the Premier League should be looking at, not money spinnin idiocies.

Also in the SPL it's a 7 man bench, but at least 3 of those have to be under 21, which is supposed to give youngsters more of a chance. Not really sure if it does make that much of a difference, but thats the thinking behind it anyway.

Yeah having seven subs on the bench should have been brought in ages ago.

It might sound silly, but playing Champ Manager 2 and 3 and being able to have seven subs available when I managed Inter then to be limited to five when I switched to Liverpool was pretty hampering. It just gives you more options.

I remember managers in the Premier League were talking about this a few seasons ago, so its a good thing that its eventually coming to pass.

The Chelsea Liverpool match was so infuriating to watch!

Why the hell does Benitez keep playing Kuyt on the wings??? It was obvious from the first half that he wasnt able to get past anyone so Benitez thinks, lets put on our right sided player who has never been able to cross with his left foot and shove him on the left!

Yeah, good going by the City!

As for Liverpool, gah...

Bizarrely we were comfortable and contained Chelsea at ease and they never looked like scoring- having said that, teams usually never look like scoring against us but they still manage a goal from a corner or something. As usual the Pool lacked that cutting edge up front.

Keegan-esue comment here.

But I love how all the Man Utd 'fans' have disappeared.

Even when the spuds drummed us I laid down my comments and faced the moonlight.

I'm saving my comments until I've seen it on Match of the Day, since I was at work I didn't get a chance to watch it. Obviously the fact that I'm disappointed goes without saying!

Although I think Queiroz saying that players were tired after internationals is a bit stupid, whilst it may have had a small impact the same can be said for many other players up and down the country!

Keegan-esue comment here.

But I love how all the Man Utd 'fans' have disappeared.

Even when the spuds drummed us I laid down my comments and faced the moonlight.

Im sorry I haven't commented on the match instantly after but I do have other things to do than post on an internet forum believe it or not.

Anyway I watched the game. The first half we was all over city and to be fair didnt deserve to go in 2-0 down. But they just put away their chances. Very poor goals for us to concede, really bad defending.

2nd half we didnt really play much better and it was much of the same to be honest. We never looked like scoring and Carricks goal just came too late.

Poor performance on a special occasion. Top marks to city for holding onto the lead and defending well especially Dunne and Richards.

Hopefully that is our little blip over now (spurs game and this one) and we can get back on track.

Im sorry I haven't commented on the match instantly after but I do have other things to do than post on an internet forum believe it or not.

Not just you specifically but there is at least 6 Man Utd fans, can go up to 10, and within four hours no comments. Suspect hiding, I think so.

ie, where is Mr Crumble After Christmas.

Guest Stefkov

I'd comment but it'd be the same as what Platty said. It's not like we sit on here providing match commentary and match analysis right after every match though.

there are people usually here saying how good united are straight after every match. good result for city.

edited due to being drunk when first posted.

He's right.

It's not like your a regular in this topic stef, but others who are have been ducking it.

Just got done eating my post match chicken and chips. Good result, game was quite dull after half time, until around the 85th minute. Didn't get any bets right, but I'll take the 5 points clear over a few quid won any day.

God, I was fuming at the United/City game. I was shocked when we went one-nil down, but pretty much in dismay when they scored a second. Not sure what the hell happened really, we weren't playing particularly badly either. Our defence let us down, which to be fair, hasn't been said all that often this season, as the defence is usually second to none.

My mate made the mistake of watching the game with me, all he could hear afterwards from me was "Fucking City, grr mumble mumble."