N-Europe

Rumor Control - IGN's Nintendo Voice Chat

pedrocasilva

Summary:

Rock Band

- Coming out in June, 63 songs (5 exclusive), offline multiplayer, in stereo

- Basically a port of PS2 version

- Missing important features - downloadable content, online - yet, still costs the same

- Do place some blame with Nintendo for lack of storage (where DLC is concerned), but Matt doesn't feel there's any excuse for lack of online

- Matt mentioned he knew Vicarious Visions worked really hard to talk to Nintendo over DLC for GHIII but just couldn't get it done in time. So they say there was blame for Nintendo there... but now feel some devs/publishers now just wanna get things out there and take advantage of Wii's popularity.

- GHIII's popularity on Wii possibly shocked them into action and they rushed the job

WiiWare

- Launching in Japan tomorrow

- Videos, interface, etc. will be available

Final Okami version in office

- 16:9 mode is perfect

- Paper filter

- Runs at 30 FPS, sometimes dips

- Good, not better than Twilight Princess

- Better looking on Wii than on PS2

- Colors more vibrant

- Reaffirm its a must have game. Wii remote makes it better.

We Ski

- Uses Wii Balance board - go down slopes

- Something about Bozon sitting on the balance board

- Looks slick (Matt and Bozon were surprised), but not dazzling

We Love Golf!

- Matt excited, 5min video have been posted

- Looks solid

- Team previously has developed Mario Golf games, Camelot, and published by Capcom

- More depth than Wii Sports golf, but not assy like other golf games

- Hasn’t sold well in Japan, Matt wants people to support it in America

Mario Kart

- They only have pre-release software, can't talk about online, its not in their version.

- Grand Prix - one player only

- VS, Battle Mode VS CPU in single player also

- Battle mode - up to 4 players, must use teams - free for all gone

- Balloon Fight, Coin Runners

- You can come back in Balloon Fight when you lose all of your balloons - scoreboard utilized for the mode

- Can steal balloons

- Timed 3 minutes each

- Coin Runners: lose all of your coins when hit, also 3 timed 3 minutes

- Reviews that are out that haven’t been fully tested - can’t talk about online in reviews

Sega Superstars Tennis

- Not as good as it should have been - Matt

- No online, looks blurry

- fun with a friend

- Not much charm, kinda sterile.

- Minigames are kinda cool, Jetset / HOTD minigames

- Another copout over online.

Skycrawlers

- coming out for Wii

- Very competent team, excited about it

Blastworks

- Looking impressive

- Level editor is great

- You can upload levels to the site, register your Wii number, browse levels, select them and they go to your Wii automatically

- 29.99, budget price, feels like its designed for Wii

- Feel they really put their heart into the game

Reader Questions

- Sonic Unleashed won’t come to Wii - Matt thinks it looks too nice, Bozon thinks it actually looks good (do they know something or are just guessing?)

- Nintendo is trying to attract casual gamers with Mario Kart Wii

- Bozon doesn’t think Guitar from Guitar Hero will be compatible with Rock Band

- Letter-grade system, 5-star system good review score systems

- Some sports games (ex: Madden - off of the field, hockey) would benefit from PES system

- Voice chat plans up in the air, won’t depend on Pay to Play - may follow DS model

- The IGN office has already had a Brawl tournament

- Is Mario Kart Wii a must-buy? Matt:”Eh…” - Will depend on online functionality - Bozon thinks DS version is better

- Matt cannot confirm/deny Factor 5 Kid Icarus rumor

- Mother 3 won’t be brought to America

- Matt hasn’t seen Kid Icarus in action, “developer is pretty damn good”

- Fight Night on Wii has potential

- Recent Capcom announcements: Matt hopes to see new IPs

- Sonic and the Secret Rings improvements: Speed, random walls popping up should be removed, more loop moments/shooting Sonic in air

- Pay to Play: Will apply to some downloadable content (ex: WiiWare games)

- Mario Kart release date was positioned to counter GTA4 a bit, but GTA will outsell it

- Favorite Wii titles that nobody has played - Matt: Medal of Honor Heroes 2, Zack and Wiki , Bozon: Scarface, Godfather

- Other than harddrive, voice chat, Matt would like to see “graphics,” more horsepower

- Nintendo might do downloadable content for Animal Crossing on Wii, won’t be MMORPG

- There’s a chance Command and Conquerer could come out on DS and Wii (speculation)

- No MegaMan on Wii yet, Bozon hopes to see it on Virtual Console

- Wii Music may have a peripheral, but Matt doesn’t know yet

- Matt will ask Camelot questions about Mario Golf

- Sonic Unleashed HD screenshots on Wii story going around is a lie (that they're running on the Wii? -duh- or that they are doable @ 480p on the wii?)

- Soma Bringer might be localized, Matt and Bozon love the game

Their reader questions always leave me the same aftertaste... they speculate a lot. About this new Sonic, I sure hope they're wrong, seems like it could run perfectly on the hardware.

• Replies 853
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While i'm looking forward to Mario Kart, and its a must buy for me, I'm expecting it to prove any better than Double Dash. A single player GP is rather poor, considering the SNES managed 2 player from Day One.

Its seemingly like Nintendo have suddenly thought, "Oh, yeah, we can do Mario Kart". We shall see.

It's been a bad time for NIntendo in my opinion. Mario Kart, whilst I'm sure it'll be amazing, is sounding very rushed and very limiting; I'd rather they put another 6 months to perfect the options and such and brought it out at xmas as their big xmas game!!

And the whole storage and voice chat farce!! It's beginning to get frustrating! Nintendo has such an opportunity to take hold this generation and they are fucking up the really simple stuff!!!

So the sites that have been reviewing Mario kart were reviewing an unfinished copy?

Fantastic.

It's been a bad time for NIntendo in my opinion.

Yeah! I mean, Smash Bros, Prime, Galaxy, Mario Kart? WTF Nintendo? Get your act together!

(take smash bros out of the list for the fuckers at NoE)

We Ski is looking/sounding better and better!!

If I don't get an EU release date from Namco soon it will be the second title that I import and check works with the freeloader. With Wii Fit and a balance board being mine on launch day I could have a couple of titles worth checking out.

I hope they are wrong about AC. Not that I want 50 people to chop down trees, but 4 would be nice. 4 people = MMO right?

There were a number of rumours that Nintendo were pitching Animal Crossing as its answer to PS Home. If Nintendo fail to capitalise on AC's popularity by establising it as a MMO game (and take the opportunity to push Pay to Play), then i'm loosing hope in Iwata. With all this casual shite (which I was originally very happy about by the way)...

Nintendo needs to realise that GAMERS WANT TO PLAY

There were a number of rumours that Nintendo were pitching Animal Crossing as its answer to PS Home. If Nintendo fail to capitalise on AC's popularity by establising it as a MMO game (and take the opportunity to push Pay to Play), then i'm loosing hope in Iwata. With all this casual shite (which I was originally very happy about by the way)...

Nintendo needs to realise that GAMERS WANT TO PLAY

I'm playing. You're not? Are they forcing you not to play? Are their games somehow played by themselves? Have their key franchises been ignored and you don't get your fix of Nintendo games? Do I need to add more questions? What about question marks??? Drama Queen much??

Wait, no 2 player grand prix? Thats all me and my friends tend to play. Naff.

Agreed, i'm not liking this at all! It doesn't looked rushed, but in terms of getting rid of alot of the modes, it's a joke.

We Ski is looking/sounding better and better!!

If I don't get an EU release date from Namco soon it will be the second title that I import and check works with the freeloader. With Wii Fit and a balance board being mine on launch day I could have a couple of titles worth checking out.

Wii Ski is a must for me as well! :D

I hope this GP and co op stuff and whatnot is sorted, it does seem like the kind of thing that has no reason to be and I hope it's just because it's not the final version. It has nothing to do with being rushed though, the game has been in development for quite a while and if these things stick, they're decisions they made, but I still don't like it.

Don't doubt it will be awesome though.

I didn't mean in terms of releae hellfire, the WIi has so many great games and loads more to come, I just mean with respect to some decisions they are making - omission of vital modes, not giving 3rd parties the tools/confidence to really implement online, no voice chat, no hard drive etc etc.

They're very simple things. I just feel Nintendo need to capitolise on their incredible success and not sit back

I didn't mean in terms of releae hellfire, the WIi has so many great games and loads more to come, I just mean with respect to some decisions they are making - omission of vital modes, not giving 3rd parties the tools/confidence to really implement online, no voice chat, no hard drive etc etc.

They're very simple things. I just feel Nintendo need to capitolise on their incredible success and not sit back

Nintendo believe we don't need any of the things you've stated. In my opinion for things other then games innovation, there not on the ball, are they?

They make amazing games and innovate, but for the things 'gamers' want..hard-drive, voice-chat, proper online play, they seem to have no-idea!

Thank-god for the amazing games,ey? :D

Yeah, NIntendo can get away with it because they're incredible. But it takes not much effort to have best of both worlds! It's so frustrating.

And I'm playing devils advocate slightly because I'm not an online fan, I hate voice chat on 360 (and have NEVER used it on PS3) and aint even too fussed about DLC but I still want it for all the people that do - and the days when I do want it :)

It's undeniable that voice chat leads to issues with idiots, as seen on any FPS game on XBL. It's also undeniable that voice chat improves online play with known friends. They push this damn friend code system, so I cannot comprehend why they don't release a headset, put a profit margin into the sales of said headset, and implement voice chat into games with friends. I'd be playing Brawl online constantly if there was a headset, but I can't help but feel it's not worth the bother of lag and so on when you miss out on the best part of the multiplayer experience.

My point is what is more important, or what should be is that we get great games with great gameplay. THIS is what a gamer wants. What Nintendo is lacking is extra functionality and, like you said it, small things. The fact that we see so much complains about small things is good, because it means the most important things are in order. And yes, give us HDD support ffs.

Guest Maase
My point is what is more important, or what should be is that we get great games with great gameplay. THIS is what a gamer wants. What Nintendo is lacking is extra functionality and, like you said it, small things. The fact that we see so much complains about small things is good, because it means the most important things are in order. And yes, give us HDD support ffs.

Ahahah, as much as they want to insult them, you allways find a way to defend the Nintendo, my Don xD

Noted, but this isn't about defending, it's about making a point. What gamers should want are games.

You have to try and see both sides of it. Sure gamers want games and are happy with Mario Galaxy, Metroid, etc, but you're making it sound like theres something wrong with wanting features in your games too.