Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, I'm Dyson, and I'm straight. I have no problem with Gay or Lesbian people.

That is all.

And you, my friend, have won the topic. Not only is that the most sensible thing I've heard in a while, it's also seconded for me. It just took a whole thread for me to get there, that's all.

Hi, I'm karl and this thread is getting fecking repetitive and oooooo-ho-ho-ho-oooldddda!

Typical day:-one good comment, some ant-shimmin loving/ego massaging, random comments, replies to random comments, another good post, and me bitching about something-luckily i think twice and delete the posts else very few people would have me on their "allow" lists :woops:

Can someone clear up the reason men are called gay, and women lesbians? is there something I'm missing?

A way to differentiate I suppose. Kind of like postman and postwoman although thats not tabboisised so yeah...best I can think of.

Can someone clear up the reason men are called gay, and women lesbians? is there something I'm missing?

History Lesson time!

The term "lesbian" is much older than the term "gay".

Originally the term Lesbian referred to an inhabitant of the island of Lesbos, in Greece. Everyone from Lesbos (whether Male or Female, heterosexual or homosexual) was called a Lesbian.

The most famous Lesbian (she was a lesbian Lesbian) was a female writer called Sappho. In fact, she was one of the few female Greek writers whose work we still have. (The Greeks were very sexist, they thought women shouldn't write.) Sappho was very very intelligent and her work was insiteful. She wrote about her love for other woman. This was revelutionary. There were homosexual men at the time, but the Greek men thought it was impossible for a woman to homosexual. Therefore she became famous, and soon the term Lesbian became interchangeable with female homosexual.

Lesbian was first used like 2300 years ago or something, whereas the term gay used to refer to homosexuals was first used in the 20th century, around 1930s/1940s. Before this, the word meant vibrant, and happy, and had no homosexual connotations. It is thought that because of the vibrantcy and life of the homosexual nightlife at this time the sense of the word changed naturally to include this.

So to conclude, it might be wrong to think "why don't we just call Lesbians gay?", since the term Lesbian is much older than the term gay.

Oh You

*Giggles*

you stole my line! Metroid is angry:(

Oh well.

Hi, I'm karl and this thread is getting fecking repetitive and oooooo-ho-ho-ho-oooldddda!

Typical day:-one good comment, some ant-shimmin loving/ego massaging, random comments, replies to random comments, another good post, and me bitching about something-luckily i think twice and delete the posts else very few people would have me on their "allow" lists :woops:

well somebody is jealous.. Ok we are agreed. Takeo wants more love on this thread.

Who else loves takeo?:)

Well Alanis did snog Sarah Jessica Parker in a Sex & The City episode.

And we should all love takeo for starting this thread!

lol Fresh did it really.

I did the failed round one last year.

Sooo. Gayest City in the country?

Has to be manchester imo lol

*silence and tumbleweed*

:grin: :grin:

Story of my life . . .

Manchester is the gayest city in the country, and that is not a compliment either

Liverpool's shite so shut it yew :heh:

Maybe the city could get better if it learnt how to play proper football . . .

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!