N-Europe

General Gallery

Emasher

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats good for a first try. Its always best to make sure the walking is perfect, it might be stopping because when you use flash you need to make it repeated and make sure the first and last cycles match (not identical but so it moves in the right way).

Its also quite slow and jittery, how many frames do you use for one move?

Thats good for a first try. Its always best to make sure the walking is perfect, it might be stopping because when you use flash you need to make it repeated and make sure the first and last cycles match (not identical but so it moves in the right way).

Its also quite slow and jittery, how many frames do you use for one move?

Im using Imageready and currently set to a '0 second delay' between them because I tried all sorts and it just wasn't working. I did 12 frames of animation (and the 13th which acts as the loop) as suggested which should be held for 2 to make 24 frames which apparently should be a second...I thin. But I tried faffing around with the delay options and just not working.

Just having a bit of a slim down of my portfolio, going through my folders from Art Foundation etc... thought I'd put a few pics up of my fashion/textile related things...

ss101248.jpg

I like the concept of that. I'll be doing some textile stuff (for the first time ever) this upcoming year.

Im using Imageready and currently set to a '0 second delay' between them because I tried all sorts and it just wasn't working. I did 12 frames of animation (and the 13th which acts as the loop) as suggested which should be held for 2 to make 24 frames which apparently should be a second...I thin. But I tried faffing around with the delay options and just not working.

The best thing to do is start with stick men, easier to get the movement down.

I'd use flash and see how you handle that, its practically the same from the sounds of it, but the options and stuff are easier to find!

The best thing to do is start with stick men, easier to get the movement down.

I'd use flash and see how you handle that, its practically the same from the sounds of it, but the options and stuff are easier to find!

Yeah I plan to get a graphics tablet as soon as I can free up some funds, figure it'll be easier to experiment using that.

And yup. Downloaded Flash the other day but won't install the 30-day trial until Thursday as I'm in London for next two days.

You may get me bugging you on facebook/msn soon :p

Yeah I plan to get a graphics tablet as soon as I can free up some funds, figure it'll be easier to experiment using that.

I got one of these from Tesco. I figured I'd get the cheapest one I could, then decide if I use it enough to get a fancy one. Can't fault it so far, definately worth the money and I think I'll just stick to this one.

I got one of these from Tesco. I figured I'd get the cheapest one I could, then decide if I use it enough to get a fancy one. Can't fault it so far, definately worth the money and I think I'll just stick to this one.

"OS Required: Microsoft Windows 2000, Microsoft Windows XP, Microsoft Windows Vista"

:heh:

Did stumble upon it a few days ago. Sucks it doesn't work for Macs.

Began playing around with Flash today and strung together a few bits and pieces to make this: http://www.swfcabin.com/open/1251467679

(shouldn't repeat, I blame the site. Also uploaded it to

but it doesn't work for me)

Kind of a shame that I put effort into adding subtle little effects which is lost when its all over with so quick :heh:

Edited by Ashley

• 1 month later...

Yay, I finally made a drawing again. Well a linocut. Though since it's my first one and I seem to fail at inking/printing it, I had to touch it up with a paintbrush, and then afterwards I cleaned it up in Photoshop heh.

Hopefully I can practice more soon and improve on this lino stuff, as I kinda like it. =)

monsterhug.jpg

For a first attempt Eenuh, it's really good. It does take awhile to get used to doing linocuts. I remember doing loads at school over about a 5 year period and it's definitely something you do get better at once you learn how to work the lino properly. I was more a fan of doing etchings though.

But yeh, really good work for a first attempt Eenuh.

For a first attempt Eenuh, it's really good. It does take awhile to get used to doing linocuts. I remember doing loads at school over about a 5 year period and it's definitely something you do get better at once you learn how to work the lino properly. I was more a fan of doing etchings though.

But yeh, really good work for a first attempt Eenuh.

Oooh, since you've done them before, could you tell me how you know there's enough ink on your lino? Because apparently I keep not putting on enough ink or something. Or maybe I'm pressing it wrong...

I'd love to try out other stuff like etching too, but it's all so expensive to buy! =(

Oooh, since you've done them before, could you tell me how you know there's enough ink on your lino? Because apparently I keep not putting on enough ink or something. Or maybe I'm pressing it wrong...

I'd love to try out other stuff like etching too, but it's all so expensive to buy! =(

On the ink front, really you've just got to make sure that the entire piece is covered. How did you put the ink on? When I was doing it, I was using rollers as they gave a more even spread across the lino. It does come down to a bit of trial and error though, I'm afraid. The more you try lino printing, the better you'll get at judging the amount of ink needed because it can be easy to put too much on or too little. If you haven't used rollers, then I'd say try them as they work the best. Other than that, like I said, it is trial and error but you'll quickly get to grips with it. As for pressing it, just press it as hard as possible because the ink will get into the paper better that way. And using the right paper is key as well. If the paper is slightly wet then it works better.

And etching is great but it's a very lengthy process. Took me 3 weeks on a sheet of metal to etch a picture of the Forth Rail Bridge because I wanted to get all of the cross hatching right so when printed it looked good. And it turned out great in the end. Shame I ruined it by putting other things on the metal. But yeh, it's expensive as well but if you try it, as long as you put the effort in then it's totally worth it. Piranesi is who I looked at for inspiration while doing it if you're interested.

Yeah, I did use a roller to put on the ink, and I thought I'd put on enough, but when I printed it the ink barely stuck to the paper. I'll try putting on more ink next time but it's kinda hard to judge how much is on there heh. =P

I enjoyed making it, though I'm also interested in making coloured linos. Maybe once I get a bit more used to it I can look into that. =)

And yeah, etching seems really interesting to do, but I have no idea how to get started on it haha. I've never really gotten the chance to learn different mediums, so now I'm trying to teach myself a few things. So maybe once I have more time (and money) I could look into etching.

Coloured lino prints are quite difficult. Did one for my exam in 5th year. I'm sure I have a picture of it uploaded somewhere. Takes a lot of time because you have to constantly think ahead to what needs to stay and what doesn't for the layers of colours.

art1x.jpg

That took five hours of constant carving that, coupled with a massive cut as the lino tool shot into my hand :laughing:

I was the same as you though. I got to do all the printing stuff but wasn't great with painting and such and never had much of a chance to do that and have wanted to try it. So perhaps it's something I'll dabble with when I get the time.

Yeah coloured lino prints seem super difficult; I'm horrible at planning so I'd probably just mess it up. =P

That's a cool print though, and I can see why it took so many hours to make!

Oh and I managed to cut myself too while cutting my lino haha. It's so easy to slip, and those cutting tools are sharppp!

I'd say if you want to learn new things, you just have to give it a shot! I was annoyed that I never really got any decent art class in school (all we ever did was use pencils or coloured pencils =/ ), so I started teaching myself. It's fun to try out different things, even though sometimes it can be a bit frustrating if things don't go the way you want them to heh. =P